News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Burger King to buy Popeye's

Started by golden eagle, February 21, 2017, 08:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GCrites

Quote from: cjk374 on February 24, 2017, 06:13:43 PM

Church's chicken is absolutely nasty. I ain't sure there is any kind of QC that can help them. Chicken so greasy that it will soak through the cardboard box, soak any upholstery it is in contact with, & burn the hand holding said box.

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

adventurernumber1

I did not see this coming at all. It is interesting that this new Restaurant Brands International holding company (which already oversaw Burger King and Tim Hortons) has now acquired Popeyes as well. Personally, I love both Burger King and Popeyes (but have never been to Tim Hortons).  :hyper:

This was originally posted on February 21, 2017 at 11:56:28 PM (as Reply # 2), and originally edited on February 22, 2017 at 12:16:59 AM.

-more input coming soon-
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

sparker

A Tim Horton's opened here in San Jose recently south of SJSU -- but it's gotten terrible Yelp reviews -- particularly from Canadian or East Coast transplants who claim that the place doesn't have Horton donuts, coffee, or even decent service.  Apparently it's an older converted BK outlet.  Since I've had limited contact with the Horton idiom (a couple of brief stops on a 1991 trip to the Maritimes & Quebec), it's not been a priority to visit there -- but it seems if you're going to slap the name on an establishment, it should actually represent what that establishment is noted for!

wanderer2575

Quote from: nexus73 on February 23, 2017, 12:44:46 PM
Quote from: sparker on February 22, 2017, 09:02:39 PM
If the new ownership can address the site-to-site variability of Popeye's outlets, that'll be a good thing!  When I lived down in Hesperia several years back, the two Popeye's outlets (1 in Hesperia off I-15 and the other in Victorville) were, to put it mildly, not places I'd go to twice -- excess grease in the chicken itself (possible undercooking?), soggy fries (both regular & seasoned), and, to top it off, almost hostile service.  Up here in the San Jose area the outlet I've been to is quite good.  I have no idea if the individual stores are company-owned a la In-N-Out, or franchised (like most FF chains).  Either way, the parent company management needs to maintain/enforce some sort of QA.  The basic Popeye's concept is just fine -- if follow-through is applied!

I saw the same deal with Church's Fried Chicken in Louisiana.  There needs to be QC!

Rick

Site to site variability is what comes with franchising.  There's only so much the parent company can do in forcing an independent franchisee to follow the book on operations, regardless of what the contract says.  Some franchisees follow the book religiously, and some think nothing of cutting corners if they think it will turn some extra profit.  On the other side, some franchisors try to screen potential franchisees and keep everyone in line, while others care only about collecting fees and royalties and will let anybody upright and breathing open an outlet.

Even with the best intentions, there's (unavoidable?) variance from store to store and even from person to person.  The more prep and assembly done at each location, the more room for variance, especially with items weighed vs. items counted.  A McDonald's Quarter Pounder is one bun, one patty, two pickle slices, two cheese slices (all pre-made from quality-controlled suppliers), squirts of ketchup and mustard from measured dispensers, and a bit of onion.  Very little room for variance.  But your taco or burrito from Taco Bell, or your pizza from Little Caesars, can vary wildly depending on the location, the day, or the alignment of the planets.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on February 25, 2017, 02:48:16 AM
A Tim Horton's opened here in San Jose recently south of SJSU -- but it's gotten terrible Yelp reviews -- particularly from Canadian or East Coast transplants who claim that the place doesn't have Horton donuts, coffee, or even decent service.  Apparently it's an older converted BK outlet.  Since I've had limited contact with the Horton idiom (a couple of brief stops on a 1991 trip to the Maritimes & Quebec), it's not been a priority to visit there -- but it seems if you're going to slap the name on an establishment, it should actually represent what that establishment is noted for!

That's ironic, you'd think they would take a lesson from Target and how they did the same thing in Canada. Basically people actually expect a certain product from you based on your image and know when something is watered down.  :-D

Rothman

How can you have a Timmies without donuts?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

oscar

Quote from: sparker on February 25, 2017, 02:48:16 AM

Ugh. Tim's in Canada obsess over the coffee. How can they not bring that to a California location?

What I really want from a Tim's out west is breakfast sandwiches, especially since in the U.S. McD's selection is worse out west than in the east (for example, no bagel sandwiches -- Tim's out east and in Canada have better bagels, but McDs in the eastern U.S. have better steak breakfast bagels). It doesn't sound like I should count on that, either, next time I'm out there and find a Tim's.

BTW, my first experience with breakfast bagel sandwiches was long ago at a Burger King, but they soon dropped that product. I complained to the "Burger Queen" (college classmate who then was a BK senior VP, and its highest-ranking female executive), but to no avail.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

vdeane

I was afraid the Tim Hortons brand would start to be watered down when Burger King took over.  Sad to see I was right.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: vdeane on February 25, 2017, 05:11:26 PM
I was afraid the Tim Hortons brand would start to be watered down when Burger King took over.  Sad to see I was right.

Actually Tim Hortons is the parent company in the merger.  But to your point a lower standard could easily creep into a company with a higher one in a merger.  I always thought Sears slid down to Kmart level post merger where the latter was the dominant party.  The ironic thing was in that instance Sears Holding tried to wash away the Kmart name with Sears Grand/Essentials but all it did was knock the Sears brand down another peg.  I'm sure there are other notable examples of the same thing happening in mergers.

cjk374

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 25, 2017, 07:38:02 PM

Actually Tim Hortons is the parent company in the merger.  But to your point a lower standard could easily creep into a company with a higher one in a merger.  I always thought Sears slid down to Kmart level post merger where the latter was the dominant party.  The ironic thing was in that instance Sears Holding tried to wash away the Kmart name with Sears Grand/Essentials but all it did was knock the Sears brand down another peg.  I'm sure there are other notable examples of the same thing happening in mergers.

Mergers can be blessings, & they can be curses. When the Union Pacific bought the Southern Pacific in 1997, it created massive gridlock nationwide because the UP way didn't work on the SP system. It took a few years before successful adjustments could be made by the UP to correctly absorb & operate their acquisition. I started working for my railroad in July 2002. We interchange with the UP at McNeil, AR which is on the former Cotton Belt/SP mainline. The merger was 5 years old then & they were still gridlocked with trains that couldn't move. Crews were being taxiied to the trains, sitting in the cab for almost 10-12 hours, then being taxiied back after moving the train 0 miles.

It was a mess.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

sparker

Quote from: cjk374 on February 25, 2017, 09:21:44 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 25, 2017, 07:38:02 PM

Mergers can be blessings, & they can be curses. When the Union Pacific bought the Southern Pacific in 1997, it created massive gridlock nationwide because the UP way didn't work on the SP system. It took a few years before successful adjustments could be made by the UP to correctly absorb & operate their acquisition. I started working for my railroad in July 2002. We interchange with the UP at McNeil, AR which is on the former Cotton Belt/SP mainline. The merger was 5 years old then & they were still gridlocked with trains that couldn't move. Crews were being taxiied to the trains, sitting in the cab for almost 10-12 hours, then being taxiied back after moving the train 0 miles.

It was a mess.

Absolutely right about the UP/SP mess.  I remember back in 1997-98, after I moved back to the LA area from Portland (not my choice; family health issues) and seeing rail traffic backed up from all 3 entrances to their Colton yard hub to the point that the main lines were virtual parking lots.  UP's hierarchical top-down management style just didn't sit well with longtime SP employees, who were used to a flatter "pyramid" where individual geographical divisions had been given considerable autonomy provided certain corporate criteria were being met.  They lost a lot of dispatchers and conductors during that period to the point where formerly office-bound UP managers were actually running trains (at least the company knew better than to piss off the engineers -- and their union -- on a wholesale basis!).  There were still residual effects of these issues for most of the next decade; when I was working in Ontario from 2003 to 2010 I commuted on I-10 next to the Colton yard and its lead tracks -- and more often than not, there were still 2-3 trains, on average, backed up from all 3 directions (L.A., Palmdale, and Indio) waiting to enter the yard leads.  Not a good time, despite the good pay, to be a UP dispatcher!   

Stephane Dumas

sparker

Quote from: oscar on February 25, 2017, 12:06:17 PM
What I really want from a Tim's out west is breakfast sandwiches, especially since in the U.S. McD's selection is worse out west than in the east (for example, no bagel sandwiches -- Tim's out east and in Canada have better bagels, but McDs in the eastern U.S. have better steak breakfast bagels). It doesn't sound like I should count on that, either, next time I'm out there and find a Tim's.

BTW, my first experience with breakfast bagel sandwiches was long ago at a Burger King, but they soon dropped that product. I complained to the "Burger Queen" (college classmate who then was a BK senior VP, and its highest-ranking female executive), but to no avail.

About the only place I've found that has decent bagel sandwiches is Noah's (all over CA) and Bruegger's (SoCal); their bagels are real boiled/baked types and their sandwich material is usually fresh.  Brueggers near the Ontario mall was a regular lunch spot when I worked down there.  Can be a tad pricey (especially if you get the lox)!

oscar

Quote from: sparker on February 27, 2017, 02:30:13 PM
About the only place I've found that has decent bagel sandwiches is Noah's (all over CA) and Bruegger's (SoCal); their bagels are real boiled/baked types and their sandwich material is usually fresh.  Brueggers near the Ontario mall was a regular lunch spot when I worked down there.  Can be a tad pricey (especially if you get the lox)!

There are some Bruegger's in the D.C. area, one a short bus ride from me in Arlington. I'll have to try it out. Normally, it not having a drive-thru would be a problem, but not while I'm recovering from eye surgery and mostly hoofing it for a few more weeks.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on February 25, 2017, 09:22:01 AM

Better yet...   How can you have any restaurant anywhere without coffee?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on February 27, 2017, 05:00:14 PM

Easily.  Coffee takes like crap to some of us.  I can do without twigs and leaves..er..tea of any sort.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

oscar

Quote from: Brandon on February 27, 2017, 05:07:24 PM

Easily.  Coffee takes like crap to some of us.  I can do without twigs and leaves..er..tea of any sort.

As a Diet Pepsi addict -- even for breakfast -- I can do without it too, but obviously that's a minority preference. Certainly I feel like an outlier when I go to a Tim's and don't order coffee.

sparker

Out here in San Jose, donut shops are more common than Starbucks or Subways!  Got a couple of local chains that do good stuff (Manley and Yum Yum) plus scores of independents.  So not having Timmies' versions is not something to really kvetch about! 

kphoger

Quote from: oscar on February 27, 2017, 05:33:27 PM

As a Diet Pepsi addict -- even for breakfast -- I can do without it too, but obviously that's a minority preference. Certainly I feel like an outlier when I go to a Tim's and don't order coffee.

I don't drink coffee either.  Or, more precisely, I drink coffee maybe five times a year, and I make sure there's enough other stuff in it that it's more a hot coffee-flavored beverage than actual coffee.

But so many people live on coffee, I can't imagine running a restaurant without offering it on the menu.  There have be a lot of people that would simply never return because they can't get coffee.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cl94

Quote from: kphoger on February 27, 2017, 09:19:09 PM

I don't drink coffee either.  Or, more precisely, I drink coffee maybe five times a year, and I make sure there's enough other stuff in it that it's more a hot coffee-flavored beverage than actual coffee.

But so many people live on coffee, I can't imagine running a restaurant without offering it on the menu.  There have be a lot of people that would simply never return because they can't get coffee.

I have a Keurig in my office...for tea and hot chocolate. I can't stand coffee unless it's part of a flavored beverage (read: Frappuccino).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on February 27, 2017, 09:19:09 PM

I remember reading a story about the Veggie Whopper. BK rarely sells them, but they have them to be "veto-proof". If mom is looking for a place to take the kids and someone is a vegetarian, she can satisfy the burger and chicken eaters while the vegetarian family member still has an option.

Coffee...same thing. If a couple, family or group wants to go someplace and they don't serve coffee...even decaf...someone is bound to veto that place.

BTW...in reference to Keriugs...Buffalo Wild Wings has a Keriug at their bar.  If you want a coffee drink, it's gonna be from a K-cup.

Rothman

Quote from: sparker on February 27, 2017, 08:02:31 PM

Out here in San Jose, donut shops are more common than Starbucks or Subways!  Got a couple of local chains that do good stuff (Manley and Yum Yum) plus scores of independents.  So not having Timmies' versions is not something to really kvetch about!
Then what would draw you to Tim Horton's if they moved into your area?  If the answer is "nothing," then it goes along with my point that the business may be hollowed out beyond viability.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

oscar

Quote from: oscar on February 27, 2017, 04:07:08 PM
Quote from: sparker on February 27, 2017, 02:30:13 PM

There are some Bruegger's in the D.C. area, one a short bus ride from me in Arlington. I'll have to try it out. Normally, it not having a drive-thru would be a problem, but not while I'm recovering from eye surgery and mostly hoofing it for a few more weeks.

I went there this morning. Not as pricey as I had feared. Decent product, including a better bagel thsn McD's. Still inconvenient for me when I'm mobile, but while I'm not I'll go back there.

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 27, 2017, 10:58:19 PM
I remember reading a story about the Veggie Whopper. BK rarely sells them, but they have them to be "veto-proof". If mom is looking for a place to take the kids and someone is a vegetarian, she can satisfy the burger and chicken eaters while the vegetarian family member still has an option.

Sounds more like BK offering a vegetarian option so they can include it in their shareholders' corporate responsibility report.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.