Sleep Train Arena Property Overgrown with Weeds

Started by bing101, March 15, 2017, 07:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

triplemultiplex

Nature is gonna do what nature does.  Grow.
Same as if those parking lots were a lava flow.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Max Rockatansky

I'd say the Pontiac Silverdome had it way worse.  The whole friggin dome came down on that one after the Lions left. 

ET21

More of these are likely with the turnover these stadiums are going through. Seems like once a month, some sports team is getting a new arena
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

epzik8

How does Sacramento even have a professional sports franchise?
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

SP Cook

Quote from: epzik8 on March 23, 2017, 10:22:19 AM

Sacramento is the 20th largest DMA, and, having just that one industry, has an average wage 10% above the national average, and, of course, lots of people with lots of free time.

Leaving out Green Bay, which is a special case,  the largest DMA w/o any of the big 4 sports is Hartford, followed by Spartanburg and then West Palm Beach.  The smallest one with one is Buffalo.

kurumi

Quote from: SP Cook on March 23, 2017, 10:44:45 AM

Sacramento is the 20th largest DMA, and, having just that one industry, has an average wage 10% above the national average, and, of course, lots of people with lots of free time.

Leaving out Green Bay, which is a special case,  the largest DMA w/o any of the big 4 sports is Hartford, followed by Spartanburg and then West Palm Beach.  The smallest one with one is Buffalo.

TIL what DMA (designated market area) stands for. Here's a list of the top TV markets in the US. It's ranked by number of TV households and differs from the MSA definition and rank (link).

Top 5 DMAs are: NY, LA, Chicago (no surprise); Philly; Dallas.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

bing101

Quote from: kurumi on March 23, 2017, 11:29:01 AM

TIL what DMA (designated market area) stands for. Here's a list of the top TV markets in the US. It's ranked by number of TV households and differs from the MSA definition and rank (link).

Top 5 DMAs are: NY, LA, Chicago (no surprise); Philly; Dallas.

Solano County in Particular is split into two parts though when it comes to radio and TV markets, Solano West (Vallejo and Benicia) are part of the San Francisco TV Market, But Solano East( Vacaville and Dixon ) are part of the Sacramento TV market. But the census records Solano County as part of the San Francisco Bay Area though.

dvferyance

Yeah I have always wondered that with Golden State just an hour away and with 2 teams in LA it's just too much for California. The Kings move from KC to Sactown was ranked was one of the most illogical relocations in sports history. Too much in California and a huge hole in the middle of the county with no NBA team. I like to spread it around that's why I am glad the Raiders are going to Las Vegas. The bay area will be just fine with one NFL team. If they bay area did not have an NBA team I would be ok with one in Sacramento. But having 2 teams within 60 miles of one another plus 2 more in the same state is something I would call over saturated.

dvferyance

What are you talking about? Austin, Norfolk(Hampton Roads), Louisville, Grand Rapids, Des Moines. Omaha and Birmingham are all way bigger than Hartford. In fact I am sure I could come up with even more cities bigger than Hartford with no major league team.

SP Cook

Quote from: dvferyance on March 30, 2017, 12:26:06 PM
What are you talking about? Austin, Norfolk(Hampton Roads), Louisville, Grand Rapids, Des Moines. Omaha and Birmingham are all way bigger than Hartford. In fact I am sure I could come up with even more cities bigger than Hartford with no major league team.

Hartford is DMA #30.  Austin is #39, the Tidewater is #42, Louisville is #49, Grand Rapids is #44, Des Moines is #69, and Birmingham is #45.

nexus73

Underserved In Mizzou: KC has baseball and football.  St. Louis has baseball and hockey.  It seems like there'd be room for a return of the NBA to those two cities!  Did pro basketball draw that poorly over there? 

Give St. Louis another football team while we're at it...

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

dvferyance

Quote from: nexus73 on March 30, 2017, 06:57:30 PM
Underserved In Mizzou: KC has baseball and football.  St. Louis has baseball and hockey.  It seems like there'd be room for a return of the NBA to those two cities!  Did pro basketball draw that poorly over there? 

Give St. Louis another football team while we're at it...

Rick
It's such a shame the NFL picked Jacksonville over St Louis for an expansion team back in the mid 90's. Jacksonville has not been a successful NFL market and the Rams could have stayed in LA. This would have prevented both LA and St Louis for getting screwed over at the time they did. I don't think the NBA could work in St Louis since they already have the NHL and aren't a huge market that could support both. The Grizzlies briefly considered moving there before they went for Memphis. The NBA could work for KC as the Sprint Center is still lacking a tenant.

SP Cook

Yeah, I think there are markets that can support either the NBA or NHL, but not both.    The NHL, which is much more live gate oriented, is better for the city in terms of bringing in people to spend $$ in bars and restaurants and the like.   Like most places during the crazy over-expansion of hockey in the 70s, KC had a team for two seasons, eventually became the NJ Devils.  It was supposed to be called the Mohawks, MO from Missouri and Hawks from Kansas Jayhawks, but Chicago objected and it was the Scouts. 

You do know the St. Louis story re: the NBA.  Greatest business deal in the history of the world.

kurumi

Quote from: SP Cook on March 30, 2017, 12:43:09 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on March 30, 2017, 12:26:06 PM
Hartford is DMA #30.  Austin is #39, the Tidewater is #42, Louisville is #49, Grand Rapids is #44, Des Moines is #69, and Birmingham is #45.

Yup. Hartford population inside city limits is tiny (18 sq mi, practically a border drawn around the CBD and poorest areas).

For example, OKC is about 580,000 people (2010 census), and 600 square miles.

I "expanded" Hartford out to about 460 square miles by including neighboring towns (beyond that, you're either in the countryside, or encroaching on other metro areas) and found 760,000 ... that would place it 18th in the US, between Charlotte and Seattle. I know that's really artificial, but a city's apparent size does depend on where the borders are drawn. Many older cities have small areas, and I imagine there would be a *slight* bit of resistance in neighboring towns and cities about being annexed by Hartford.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

dvferyance

Sacramento is extremly lucky they still have this team. If it wasn't for the fact the mayor is a fmr NBA player they would be long gone. The Kings have never won a championship in Sacramento and the crowds they draw are dismal. I don't see how anyone can make the case this is a viable NBA market.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: SP Cook on March 31, 2017, 10:53:34 AM
Like most places during the crazy over-expansion of hockey in the 70s, KC had a team for two seasons, eventually became the NJ Devils.  It was supposed to be called the Mohawks, MO from Missouri and Hawks from Kansas Jayhawks, but Chicago objected and it was the Scouts. 

Damn Chicago.  Who do they think they are?  In the 80's those same jerks were instrumental in derailing Milwaukee's bid for an NHL team.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

formulanone

Quote from: bing101 on March 15, 2017, 07:26:37 PM
Sleep Train Arena

Arguably one of the worst (if not dumbest) sports venue names, ever. Who wants their sports team associated with sleeping?

Quote from: SP Cook on March 23, 2017, 10:44:45 AM...the largest DMA w/o any of the big 4 sports is Hartford, followed by Spartanburg and then West Palm Beach.

West Palm Beach (and much of the Treasure Coast) may as well associate itself with Miami, kind of in the middle of Orlando and Miami. If sports expansion increases by 30-50%, then maybe, but it's mostly an area of transplants and their own loyalties.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on March 31, 2017, 09:33:56 PM
Sleep Train Arena

Arguably one of the worst (if not dumbest) sports venue names, ever. Who wants their sports team associated with sleeping?

Quote from: SP Cook on March 23, 2017, 10:44:45 AM...the largest DMA w/o any of the big 4 sports is Hartford, followed by Spartanburg and then West Palm Beach.

West Palm Beach (and much of the Treasure Coast) may as well associate itself with Miami, kind of in the middle of Orlando and Miami. If sports expansion increases by 30-50%, then maybe, but it's mostly an area of transplants and their own loyalties.

Really there isn't much to distinguish Miami/Fort Lauderdale nowadays from really probably as far north as Jupiter since it is basically solid city.  There is a huge gap along the St. Johns River and Turnpike between the northern reaches of Miami to Orlando where it is basically inhabited swampland.  I still find it amusing that somehow people distinguish a difference between Los Angeles, to Riverside, and even San Bernardino...one could argue even the growth of San Diego has virtually merged it with the other urban areas in Southern California.  Odd to consider what is considered to be a TV market still largely consists of civic demographics from times long past.

nexus73

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 31, 2017, 10:02:57 PM
Quote from: formulanone on March 31, 2017, 09:33:56 PM
Sleep Train Arena

Really there isn't much to distinguish Miami/Fort Lauderdale nowadays from really probably as far north as Jupiter since it is basically solid city.  There is a huge gap along the St. Johns River and Turnpike between the northern reaches of Miami to Orlando where it is basically inhabited swampland.  I still find it amusing that somehow people distinguish a difference between Los Angeles, to Riverside, and even San Bernardino...one could argue even the growth of San Diego has virtually merged it with the other urban areas in Southern California.  Odd to consider what is considered to be a TV market still largely consists of civic demographics from times long past.

San-San is the name given to the ubermegaplex that covers the area from the SF area to San Diego.  It is analogous to BosWash.  Looking at the lights from orbit it is pretty easy to see what the real defining of urban areas should be.

Then we have the case of the DPRK (North Korea)  The ROK and PRC surround a dark patch where Lil Kim rules.  Hope he has a flashlight...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

dvferyance

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 31, 2017, 03:26:36 PM
Like most places during the crazy over-expansion of hockey in the 70s, KC had a team for two seasons, eventually became the NJ Devils.  It was supposed to be called the Mohawks, MO from Missouri and Hawks from Kansas Jayhawks, but Chicago objected and it was the Scouts. 

Damn Chicago.  Who do they think they are?  In the 80's those same jerks were instrumental in derailing Milwaukee's bid for an NHL team.
As long as the Bucks are in Milwaukee a NHL team could never work here. The NBA and NHL don't mix well unless it's a really big market. It's the reason why Tampa gets hockey Orlando gets basketball. Nashville gets hockey Memphis gets basketball. Columbus gets hockey Cleveland gets basketball.

nexus73

Quote from: dvferyance on April 01, 2017, 01:39:05 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 31, 2017, 03:26:36 PM

As long as the Bucks are in Milwaukee a NHL team could never work here. The NBA and NHL don't mix well unless it's a really big market. It's the reason why Tampa gets hockey Orlando gets basketball. Nashville gets hockey Memphis gets basketball. Columbus gets hockey Cleveland gets basketball.

PDX draws fairly well with a low level hockey team.  Back in the Sixties there was the Western Hockey League, one level below the NHL and PDX had the Buckaroos, who were the first pro sports tenants in the then-modern Memorial Coliseum.  The thinking in PDX is that NHL hockey would draw well even with the Blazers being around.  Having two venues right next to each other would ameliorate scheduling conflict.  PDX sees as rivals anything in the West so they would turn out bigtime for games with Vancouver BC (a MLS city), San Jose, LA, Anaheim, Phoenix and Denver due to already established rivalries in the NBA, MLS and collegiate ranks.  Spice that up with the WFTDA (Women's Flat Track Derby Association) world champion team for the last two seasons being from Portland while Seattle's Rat City team is one of renown.

Besides, NHL ticket prices have got to be less than NBA ones!  Our state for being west of the Rockies is rather fanatical about their teams and so is the state of Washington.  Maybe we in the PNW can be the exception to the rule with the best way of showing such to get the NHL and WNBA into PDX while Seattle gets both the NBA and NHL back.  If there was a tiddlywinks match between the two cities, thousands will turn out.  Yeah, it's like that over here!

Rick

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.