News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Canusa Street – How does this work?

Started by ghYHZ, March 16, 2017, 04:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

Quote from: jbnv on March 19, 2017, 10:24:54 PM
Quote from: cl94 on March 19, 2017, 10:21:41 PM
Quote from: jbnv on March 19, 2017, 10:20:21 PM
Quote from: cl94 on March 19, 2017, 04:24:14 PM
They're not typical city liberals, as almost everyone owns a gun, but they don't give a damn what you look like or what you do (unlike many conservatives).

Do you actually know many conservatives?

Yes, they're all quite racist and ethnocentric. but that's beside the point.

So you don't actually know any conservatives.

Gentlemen, relax. A quote attributed to many wise people says, "If You Are Not a Liberal at 25, You Have No Heart. If You Are Not a Conservative at 50 You Have No Brain"... And no need for insults, this is not an election...

michravera

Quote from: kphoger on March 16, 2017, 02:32:14 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 16, 2017, 02:00:12 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 16, 2017, 12:50:44 PM
Quote from: Brandon on March 16, 2017, 11:34:00 AM
border controls on the US/Canadian border are stupid.

FTFY.

Build a wall and beef up security along the southern border in the name of fighting terrorism, when a person can literally enter the USA by walking across the street on the northern border.

There's a difference between the two.  In spite of some differences (described above), the U.S. and Canada are reasonably wealthy nations.  Not so at the border between the United States and Mexico (of course, many of those problems would go away if the U.S. Congress decided to terminate the so-called "War on  Drugs").

But that's about migration, not terrorism.  Once you mention fighting terrorism (a.k.a. security), nobody can object.  It's a trump card (pun intended).  Like "what about the children."

It would seem easy enough to teach a Southwest Asian terrorist who looks Mexican or Central American enough to speak more Spanish than the Ukrainian immigrant who takes my order at Taco Bell and get into the USA by whatever means is currently employed by the Mexican and Central Americans who come in illegally and cause all sorts of havoc. The kind of trouble that, most Mexicans and Central Americans who enter the country whether legally or illegally rarely cause.

From Canada we have a county that works just as hard as we do to avoid illegal crossings and legal crossings by those who mean harm to the other and that doesn't see that much of an advantage in having its citizens move to the USA. Mexico, however, would just as soon some of its people go to the USA. If I were them, I am sure that I would feel the same way. You can only expect your neighbor to cooperate when your interests are the same.

7/8

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on March 18, 2017, 11:24:39 PM
Quote from: jay8g on March 18, 2017, 11:08:03 PM
I'm pretty sure Roosevelt Way in Point Roberts was once kind of like this. By the way, I love using that street view picture to demonstrate the stupidity of border crossing stuff...

I'm partial to this example, a bit further east: https://goo.gl/maps/LyqNQovY2K92

I'm surprised there isn't even a small fence along the border here.

hbelkins

Quote from: kalvado on March 20, 2017, 05:16:58 AM
Gentlemen, relax. A quote attributed to many wise people says, "If You Are Not a Liberal at 25, You Have No Heart. If You Are Not a Conservative at 50 You Have No Brain"... And no need for insults, this is not an election...

Generalizations like that which prompted this off-topic deviation really bother me. If I said that all liberals want to let men pee in womens' restrooms and want to kill all babies before they're born, that would be as egregious -- and as incorrect -- as the gross mischaracterization about all conservatives.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on March 20, 2017, 10:28:00 AM
Quote from: kalvado on March 20, 2017, 05:16:58 AM

Generalizations like that which prompted this off-topic deviation really bother me. If I said that all liberals want to let men pee in womens' restrooms and want to kill all babies before they're born, that would be as egregious -- and as incorrect -- as the gross mischaracterization about all conservatives.

I'm a conservative, and I want to let men pee in women's restrooms.  Laissez-faire, baby.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NE2

You can't kill something that's not alive.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NE2

Abortion needs to be reframed as self defense. Assclowns have no problem killing real live people who "threateningly" bump into them in a crowded street, so what's the problem with getting rid of a not-yet-person all up in your insides?

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kalvado

Quote from: Brandon on March 20, 2017, 11:16:41 AM
Quote from: NE2 on March 20, 2017, 11:08:09 AM

What is dead cannot die.
Should viruses be considered live or dead? You know, those bugs which cause HIV, flu, different flavors of hepatitis.
Politically correct term for securing virus contamination is "inactivation"...

Rothman

Quote from: jbnv on March 20, 2017, 11:35:37 AM
Quote from: kphoger on March 20, 2017, 10:55:42 AM
I'm a conservative, and I want to let men pee in women's restrooms.  Laissez-faire, baby.

Let them pee next to my daughter and I'm coming after you.
Heh.  I guess you are very particular about porta-potties then:

"You can't use that one, dear daughter, a man went into the one next to it."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

I'm also in favor of floor-to-ceiling walls and doors for every toilet stall as is fairly common in Europe, but I doubt that'll happen here.

I personally see no point in having to wait in line at a crowded restroom, when the other sex's restroom is empty–especially when the restrooms are single-occupant, but also when each toilet is enclosed.
Male pronouns, please.

cl94

Quote from: kphoger on March 20, 2017, 11:41:18 AM

I'm also in favor of floor-to-ceiling walls and doors for every toilet stall as is fairly common in Europe, but I doubt that'll happen here.

I personally see no point in having to wait in line at a crowded restroom, when the other sex's restroom is empty–especially when the restrooms are single-occupant, but also when each toilet is enclosed.

This. Unisex restrooms are common in the rest of the world. Make one double-size restroom with fully-enclosed cubicles.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

empirestate

This is a completely serious question: why? I mean, if I had a daughter and I took a wiz next to her, I don't know what injury or danger she'd suffer. Not that it would ever come up, but I assume that'd be the same with any other person–peeing isn't inherently dangerous.

(Figured I may as well ask before the inevitable thread locking.)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: empirestate on March 20, 2017, 12:08:12 PM

This is a completely serious question: why? I mean, if I had a daughter and I took a wiz next to her, I don't know what injury or danger she'd suffer. Not that it would ever come up, but I assume that'd be the same with any other person—peeing isn't inherently dangerous.

Chances are, you wouldn't know who you're next to anyway.

Brandon

Quote from: kalvado on March 20, 2017, 11:22:03 AM
Quote from: Brandon on March 20, 2017, 11:16:41 AM
Quote from: NE2 on March 20, 2017, 11:08:09 AM

What is dead cannot die.
Should viruses be considered live or dead? You know, those bugs which cause HIV, flu, different flavors of hepatitis.
Politically correct term for securing virus contamination is "inactivation"...

Obviously some folks here have not seen Game of Thrones nor read the A Song of Ice and Fire books.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on March 20, 2017, 12:02:20 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 20, 2017, 11:41:18 AM

This. Unisex restrooms are common in the rest of the world. Make one double-size restroom with fully-enclosed cubicles.
I'd LOVE that.  It's incredibly awkward to do one's business in a room where the privacy is minimal, to the extent that I avoid public restrooms like the plague.  Heck, why not extend it to locker rooms and showers too?  Who really wants to do any of that stuff in front of other people?  Old Forge water park has private changing stalls in their locker rooms and pretty much everyone used them; I wish more places had them (heck, they should be mandatory).  Wasn't it the Supreme Court that said that "separate but equal" is inherently unequal?  The concept applies here too.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

I personally have no problem with showering or changing clothes or peeing in mixed-sex company, but I fully understand I'm in the minority there.  But can anybody give me one good reason why two single-occupant public restrooms should be designated men's and women's?
Male pronouns, please.

empirestate

Quote from: kphoger on March 20, 2017, 01:11:16 PM
I personally have no problem with showering or changing clothes or peeing in mixed-sex company, but I fully understand I'm in the minority there.

Meanwhile, I'm as modest as most people about that sort of thing, and I'd be just as modest about any children that might be in my care. But it seems there's an assumed link between the presence of adult men and young girls–or any other combination of age and sex–in the same room as each other, and I don't know that that link holds up logically.

AsphaltPlanet

This is a completely serious question: why? I mean, if I had a daughter and I took a wiz next to her, I don't know what injury or danger she'd suffer. Not that it would ever come up, but I assume that'd be the same with any other person–peeing isn't inherently dangerous.

+1.  How is the whole bathroom thing even an issue?  I honestly can't understand it.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

kphoger

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on March 20, 2017, 02:02:46 PM

+1.  How is the whole bathroom thing even an issue?  I honestly can't understand it.

It's an issue because there's not really a legal distinction between restrooms, shower rooms, or changing rooms.  People who might not care about mixed sexes in wall-divided restrooms might have a totally different take on mixed sexes in a shared high school shower room.
Male pronouns, please.

spooky

Quote from: empirestate on March 20, 2017, 01:29:12 PM
I personally have no problem with showering or changing clothes or peeing in mixed-sex company, but I fully understand I'm in the minority there.

Meanwhile, I'm as modest as most people about that sort of thing, and I'd be just as modest about any children that might be in my care. But it seems there's an assumed link between the presence of adult men and young girls–or any other combination of age and sex–in the same room as each other, and I don't know that that link holds up logically.

That's the threat for the bogeyman argument. Now think about the public restrooms in your local restaurant, mall, department store, university, etc. Let me know whether you think a state law prevents a malicious adult man from entering the women's room to do harm to a young girl.

NE2

But can anybody give me one good reason why two single-occupant public restrooms should be designated men's and women's?
Women don't have the mental capacity to look whether the seat is up before sitting down. No wonder they voted overwhelmingly for a strong man rather than a cuck woman.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on March 20, 2017, 01:11:16 PMI personally have no problem with showering or changing clothes or peeing in mixed-sex company, but I fully understand I'm in the minority there.  But can anybody give me one good reason why two single-occupant public restrooms should be designated men's and women's?

I personally don't have a problem either, but then we are both male.  My late mother was very uncomfortable using mixed-sex bathrooms even when the toilet cubicles were completely enclosed with occupancy indicators and full visual sealing, features that are also common in Europe but are largely absent in the US.

It would not surprise me to find that the transgender bathroom debate was deliberately engineered to drive a wedge between women (especially white women without college educations) and feminists trying to sell the concept of the Republican "war on women," and between traditional feminists focused on equality issues and a segment of postmodern feminism that sees the trans rights movement as an attempt by males-at-birth to gain access to women's spaces.

As for gender assignments for single-occupancy bathrooms in small restaurants and the like, I think that developed to accommodate customer expectations of not encountering bathroom issues associated with the opposite sex, like pee on the floor (dribble/bad aim) in the men's or menstrual blood on the toilet seat in the women's, and has persisted because of tradition or inertia.  It would not surprise me to see most of these single-occupancy bathrooms relabeled unisex once the trans bathroom debate has run its course.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

I think we're still on topic.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.