Streets named after your family

Started by inkyatari, March 17, 2017, 09:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkyatari

Do any of you have streets named after your family?

In the 50's or 60's my dad and my uncle bought some property in the Higgins Lake region of Michigan, in Roscommon county. Eventually, the county started plotting out subdivisions, and then started naming streets after the largest property owners in the area, and lo and behold, a street was named after us.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.5066912,-84.7747652,17.75z
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

roadman

There's a Timmins Road in Bow, NH, where a number of my cousins used to live.  May just be coincidence, but OTOH ...
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

1995hoo

My last name is not all that uncommon and I know of quite a few streets with it as a name, but I'm sure there's no connection.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

There are some roads in Maryland that have my family name and was largely where my Dad's side of the family came from.  I would assume that there is a link given that it isn't exactly common...and no it isn't Rockatansky.  :rolleyes:

jwolfer

My grandmothers only brother died in WWII and the town( township for the hyper technical among us) where they grew up, West Orange, NJ names all new streets for those from there who die in combat. So there is a Bayowski Rd in West Orange, NJ.. No name is not Polish its Ukrainian

LGMS428

Inyomono395

I don't personally have any streets named after my family, but where I live we have a fairly large size Indian Reservation and all the street are named after the original families.

mhh

Saal Road in Sterling Heights, Michigan is named for my great-grandfather, Albert Saal. His farmhouse, built in the nineteenth century, still stands along the road.

empirestate

If family tradition is correct, which I haven't been able to verify, that Commodores Matthew and Oliver Perry are ancestors of ours, then likely a bunch of streets are named for them. Certainly, many towns and settlements are.

Another likelihood is Thomas Doane, another prominent (and confirmed) ancestor. Look in Crete, NE for possible streets named after him.

iPhone

jp the roadgeek

No specific streets named after my family, although there is a street a couple of towns over that has my surname, as well as a town in Kansas.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jeffandnicole

ColossalBlocks

My dad's side of the family lived on Fairhurst Street for a while.

I guess i should specify a bit more.

This was in Joliet, Illinois (most of my dad's side is from Illinois). Sadly they redesignated the street.

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

jbnv

I'm not aware of any street bearing my last name in my father's hometown, though a lot of my family is from there.

There is a street with my mother's maiden name in the city where I grew up.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

epzik8

Quote from: jwolfer on March 17, 2017, 05:04:07 PM
My grandmothers only brother died in WWII and the town( township for the hyper technical among us) where they grew up, West Orange, NJ names all new streets for those from there who die in combat. So there is a Bayowski Rd in West Orange, NJ.. No name is not Polish its Ukrainian

LGMS428
Ooh, I have some Ukranian ancestry too!
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jwolfer

Quote from: epzik8 on March 19, 2017, 10:27:46 PM
Quote from: jwolfer on March 17, 2017, 05:04:07 PM

LGMS428
Ooh, I have some Ukranian ancestry too!
Very cool. You know they say that Ukrainians are good looking

LGMS428

Rothman

Roth Street in Bethlehem, PA is probably named after distant relatives of mine.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SteveG1988

Anything named after Whittaker In trenton is named after an ancestor of mine from Trenton. Ancestry.com results via my grandmother confirmed it.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

epzik8

Well, based on Google Maps searches, there are a couple of back roads in Pennsylvania that bear my surname, but they aren't actually named after any family member or ancestor of mine.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Mr_Northside

My aunt & uncle lived on a street that was their surname - Schiestle Rd - right off of PA-58 in the shadow of the SE quadrant of the I-80/I-79 cloverleaf.
Not sure if the road was a product of any kind of re-locations for the interstates or not.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

hm insulators

There's a Barton Lane in La Crescenta, California, that shares my last name.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

GaryV

My wife grew up on a farm that was located on a road named for the family.  Her gg-grandfather was one of the original settlers of the area.

And when we went to Maine, we found several roads and other features bearing family names that we knew from her genealogy.  Her ancestors founded a town in Maine just 8 years after the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock.

hobsini2

I have actually 2 primary (Hobson Rd and Bailey Rd) and then a bunch of subdivision type streets (Hobson Mill Dr, etc.) named after my 4 times great grandfather, Bailey Hobson in the Naperville IL area who was an original settler in Naperville. For those familiar with Naperville, he at one time owned all the land from what is now Washington St to Olesen Rd and from 75th St to Chicago Ave. His mill stone, now a park, is just north of the corner of Washington and Hobson. He also owned a traveler's inn at the southeast corner of what is now Washington and Chicago. If you drive along Washington St in Downtown Naperville, it is the building with a city mural on it.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7607696,-88.1278725,14z
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

inkyatari

Quote from: hobsini2 on March 26, 2017, 02:31:07 PM
I have actually 2 primary (Hobson Rd and Bailey Rd) and then a bunch of subdivision type streets (Hobson Mill Dr, etc.) named after my 4 times great grandfather, Bailey Hobson in the Naperville IL area who was an original settler in Naperville. For those familiar with Naperville, he at one time owned all the land from what is now Washington St to Olesen Rd and from 75th St to Chicago Ave. His mill stone, now a park, is just north of the corner of Washington and Hobson. He also owned a traveler's inn at the southeast corner of what is now Washington and Chicago. If you drive along Washington St in Downtown Naperville, it is the building with a city mural on it.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7607696,-88.1278725,14z

Way cool.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Bruce

Had to travel all the way to Berlin, but I found a street that was just close enough to my last name to count (no relation, of course).

Neat thing is that some street signs in Berlin have the name, birthdate and deathdate of the person it is named after. No clue who this man is, but I'm inclined to research about him now (barring my access to German sources).

Engelhardstraße, Berlin by SounderBruce, on Flickr

elsmere241

In Cambridge, Ohio, numbered streets run north-south, and named avenues run east-west.  Apparently those avenues are named for the families that founded the town, because two of them (Beatty and Gomber) I'm descended from.

GaryV

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.