News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

'Multi-tasking' road sign posts

Started by US-175, March 26, 2017, 03:42:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US-175

https://goo.gl/maps/ZSPFoy4Fc5H2

I've seen TxDOT signage at times use a single 'goalpost' pole for 2 different sign assemblies, like when 2 rural FM's intersect (one shield aimed at you on one part, the other turned sideways for the intersecting road on the other part of the pole), or when a road makes a 90-degree turn (similar setup, one shield toward you, one sideways).  But I've not yet seen what's in the GSV link.  On FM 148 in Crandall, TX, just north of US 175, there are 3 goalposts in a row, one for the maximum weight, one for the FM 148 shield, and one further down for the speed limit.  But on the other part of the post, all turned sideways, are NO PARKING signs.  Sure, we've all seen posts where a single post held either a speed limit and a bus stop (happens sometimes in Dallas), or a skinny black-background ONE WAY below or above a STOP sign, or a DO NOT ENTER back-to-back with a STOP sign.  But I didn't know some signers out there were going that far to improvise (or be cheap or whatever) with multiple sign placements.

plain

Does anyone know how old that overpass in the opposite direction is? That's an interesting use of guardrail on that bridge
Newark born, Richmond bred

Brian556

Quote from US-175
Quotehttps://goo.gl/maps/ZSPFoy4Fc5H2

That's whack. It looks awful. They probably did that to avoid having to install 3 new stubs in the ground.

The MUTCD prohibits unrelated signage on the same pole, except for stop/one way/do not enter.

US-175

Quote from: plain on March 27, 2017, 09:27:53 PM
Does anyone know how old that overpass in the opposite direction is? That's an interesting use of guardrail on that bridge

Good question.  I would guess late 1960s-early 1970s, without knowing better.  IIRR, the portion between the Combine exit in Seagoville and the TX 243 exit in Kaufman was widened/freewayed in the early 1970s (sadly, I saw little of that project then, my dad avoided it like the plague).

US71

Quote from: US-175 on March 29, 2017, 12:17:36 AM
Quote from: plain on March 27, 2017, 09:27:53 PM
Good question.  I would guess late 1960s-early 1970s, without knowing better.  IIRR, the portion between the Combine exit in Seagoville and the TX 243 exit in Kaufman was widened/freewayed in the early 1970s (sadly, I saw little of that project then, my dad avoided it like the plague).

NBI says 1977
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

roadfro

Quote from: US-175 on March 26, 2017, 03:42:45 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/ZSPFoy4Fc5H2

On FM 148 in Crandall, TX, just north of US 175, there are 3 goalposts in a row, one for the maximum weight, one for the FM 148 shield, and one further down for the speed limit.  But on the other part of the post, all turned sideways, are NO PARKING signs. 

When you go a little further along the road, the Street View from a few months later shows the No Parking signs facing the same way as the others... Weird array of signage...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on June 25, 2017, 11:55:06 AM

Anna, Texas

I love this! I wish the MUTCD would legally allow this. It now insists that YIELD signs are used instead of STOP signs "so as to not diminish the importance of a STOP sign."
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

roadfro

Quote from: cjk374 on June 25, 2017, 12:09:08 PM
I love this! I wish the MUTCD would legally allow this. It now insists that YIELD signs are used instead of STOP signs "so as to not diminish the importance of a STOP sign."

The MUTCD Section 8B.04 requires either a Yield OR Stop sign to be placed at passive rail crossings:
Standard:
<...>
05 A YIELD sign shall be the default traffic control device for Crossbuck Assemblies on all highway approaches to passive grade crossings unless an engineering study performed by the regulatory agency or highway authority having jurisdiction over the roadway approach determines that a STOP sign is appropriate.

Guidance:
06 The use of STOP signs at passive grade crossings should be limited to unusual conditions where requiring all highway vehicles to make a full stop is deemed essential by an engineering study. Among the factors that should be considered in the engineering study are the line of sight to approaching rail traffic (giving due consideration to seasonal crops or vegetation beyond both the highway and railroad or LRT rights-of-ways), the number of tracks, the speeds of trains or LRT equipment and highway vehicles, and the crash history at the grade crossing.

Why require a full stop at a railroad crossing if the sight distance is good? That does generate disrespect for a stop sign where, in most cases, traffic need not come to a complete stop to determine no train is approaching.

For the situation depicted, I can understand a full stop (at least for traffic in the opposing direction), as a driver might not be able to see a train through those trees.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Big John

Quote from: cjk374 on June 25, 2017, 12:09:08 PM
Quote from: US71 on June 25, 2017, 11:55:06 AM

Anna, Texas

2009 MUTCD requires a yield or stop sign at passive crossings,  though a stop sign requires an engineering study.  https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part8/part8b.htm

Brian556

Brian556

Lake Park Rd Lewisville TX 2013. Intersection has been reconstructed; this assembly no longer exists

Brian556

US-175

Quote from: Brian556 on July 07, 2017, 12:48:25 AM
Speed limit sign for state highway and stop sign for side street on same goal post

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.3942269,-99.3931263,3a,52.2y,143.13h,82.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNXh3g6ulCfdsMntubxGnmw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

And, across the street:  https://goo.gl/maps/A4ekXNvfHdn
Stop sign for side street, ped crossing yellow diamond for the main road.

Ian

I hate to be the combo breaker for a Texas dominated thread, but here's an example I've found in Lewiston, Maine. A speed limit sign mounted on the side of a stop sign at the intersection of ME 126 (Sabattus Street) and Stewart Street.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

cjk374

Quote from: Ian on July 09, 2017, 11:16:02 AM
I hate to be the combo breaker for a Texas dominated thread, but here's an example I've found in Lewiston, Maine. A speed limit sign mounted on the side of a stop sign at the intersection of ME 126 (Sabattus Street) and Stewart Street.

But the sign post isn't doing the double duty...the STOP sign is.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

plain

Quote from: cjk374 on July 09, 2017, 11:53:08 AM
Quote from: Ian on July 09, 2017, 11:16:02 AM

But the sign post isn't doing the double duty...the STOP sign is.

Actually if you move forward a couple spaces on the Street View and look behind the STOP sign, you'll see that it really is attached to the post. Maybe both.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.