News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2018 Rand McNally Road Atlas

Started by US 41, March 26, 2017, 02:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevalDragon

Have y'all noticed a difference in the detail and updates of the Large Print, Standard and Medium Size Atlases?

nexus73

Quote from: DevalDragon on May 17, 2017, 02:20:33 AM
Have y'all noticed a difference in the detail and updates of the Large Print, Standard and Medium Size Atlases?

Having bought the big and small spiral bound RM atlases, I can see the small one has much less detail than the large one. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

hbelkins

Quote from: Kniwt on May 11, 2017, 12:59:03 AM
Just got my update notice ... now available, and still free. :)

Just checked my iPad. No update notice yet. :-(

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US 41

I just noticed the other day that I-66 in the Washington DC inset is shown as a toll road now.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

oscar

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on May 16, 2017, 09:43:02 PM
My local Walmart finally had a 2018 as of last weekend, so I grabbed another copy to go with my one from BN.  The Walmart version has a different cover (Bryce Canyon), has the store directory and of course the discount price ($7.97). 

I got mine earlier today at the Wal-Mart in Ashland, KY.

In addition to the low price, I like the store directory. The only thing I've checked out so far is whether the store directory caught up with the closure of the Wal-Mart in Juneau AK, which caught me by surprise when I was out there last year. The Juneau location was in the 2017 edition issued after the store closed, but it's gone from the 2018 edition.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hbelkins

Checked the Jackson, Ky. Wally World today. No new ones in stock, but they still have plenty of 2017s.

I won't be getting an update on my iPad. It requires iOS 8.0; mine is running iOS 7.x and I'm hesitant to upgrade from a system that works pretty well.

CapeCodder

I'm getting mine delivered today. It's the large print. I always get the large print ones, mostly because I like seeing the highway networks in detail and don't have to squint or use a magnifying glass.

hbelkins

Saw one in a Sheetz in Beckley, WV today. I didn't get it, however. I'll go for the cheaper one at Walmart when I see it.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on May 17, 2017, 11:14:15 PM
Checked the Jackson, Ky. Wally World today. No new ones in stock, but they still have plenty of 2017s.

I won't be getting an update on my iPad. It requires iOS 8.0; mine is running iOS 7.x and I'm hesitant to upgrade from a system that works pretty well.
IOS 7? That's like 2 years old! You could get viruses! Oh, old people. Also yay 555!
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Life in Paradise

Most of the Wal-Mart's that I have been to in Southwestern Indiana either does not have any Rand McNally atlases or they are still stocked with the 2017 version (through the end of last month).

JJBers

Well, my Wal-Mart in North Windham, Connecticut still doesn't have any as of July 8. Maybe it's a restocking problem, but seriously.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

hbelkins

Was in the one at Jackson, Ky. earlier this week. Still carrying 2017 versions. I keep forgetting to look anytime I'm at a larger Walmart.

Although I did see the 2018 versions on full display at one of the Sheetz locations where I stopped during my West Virginia journey a couple of weeks ago.

Life in Paradise

Was in Cumberland, MD last week and picked up my 2018 atlas at a WalMart there.  I guess the horse and buggy that they use to bring them from the coast to the Midwest Wallys  hasn't made it here yet.

hbelkins

Update: A few 2018s have made it to the Jackson, Ky. Wally World. I picked up one last week. There's a three-level rack in the auto parts section of this non-Supercenter. The top and bottom racks had the 2017s; the middle rack had the new ones.

csw

I ordered mine from amazon and got it in 2 days.....is there a reason why y'all don't just do that?

Life in Paradise

Part of the fun is searching at the WalMarts to get the map cheaper than the stated price that they have at Barnes & Noble.  The other side of it is to get the WalMart directory, that does help out sometimes in a pinch when you are on a road trip.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: csw on July 19, 2017, 09:09:14 PM
I ordered mine from amazon and got it in 2 days.....is there a reason why y'all don't just do that?
Some people are allergic to technolagy.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Bickendan

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 21, 2017, 11:02:09 PM
I'm allergic to Wal-Mart.  I should see if Powell's has them yet.

hbelkins

Sometimes it's cheaper elsewhere. And the Walmart editions do have the store listings, which can be handy if you're traveling.

vdeane

Sometimes it's also nicer to buy things in person.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

iowahighways

I was able to get a copy of the spiral-bound 2018 "Best of the Road" edition for $9.98 at Sam's Club this weekend.

I noticed Marengo, IA, was missing from the 2017 edition -- there was a dot but no name. Considering that it's the seat of Iowa County, it's a notable boo-boo. But that's been corrected in the 2018 edition.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

thenetwork

I saw a stack for sale at a local (unbranded) gas convenience store last night in my neck of the woods.  And yes, they were 2018s!!

sparker

Although I picked up my 2018 atlas back at the end of April through Amazon, I wanted to get a 2nd copy -- preferably a cheaper Walmart version -- for the car.  Unfortunately, none of the four San Jose-area full-function Walmarts are stocking the damn thing (looking for this was an offshoot of my search for their pocket-polo shirts); I asked the manager of the McCarthy Ranch (Milpitas) store about this, and he said that no one had asked for it, so there was no reason to have any on the shelves.  Guess the urbanistas have no use for such things -- or have become so inured to GPS that having a map is superfluous! -- or maybe they just don't have any plans to travel beyond their local region.

WillWeaverRVA

I've seen them on sale at Wegmans in this area. Didn't think to pick one up, though.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

paulthemapguy

Lol everyone looking at bookstores and department stores...I saw one in a random gas station in Mattoon, IL a week and a half ago.  I wonder if gas stations (especially high-end ones) might be a better bet for finding them.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.