Which state sucks the most at maintenance?

Started by ColossalBlocks, April 12, 2017, 09:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

ColossalBlocks

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 14, 2017, 04:01:22 AM
Have IDOT's maintenance failures directly resulted in any deaths?

You win.  :clap:
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on April 14, 2017, 07:37:44 AM
Quote from: paulthemapguyI forgot to mention!  Vermont's roads are in dismal condition, and are often underbuilt.

In Vermont's defense, we're a wet winter climate with a light population.  That said, I'd argue Maine, Illinois, and Michigan are  worse.

Then Pennsylvania is much worse.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Brandon on April 14, 2017, 11:16:22 AM
Pennsylvania's are antiquated, but the pavement was decent.

The four worst freeway segments in Pennsylvania are I-70 (between I-79 and the Turnpike at New Stanton); I-70 (between Breezewood and the  Maryland border);  I-83 (all of it); and I-78 between the U.S. 22 split (Exit 51) and the end of PennDOT maintenance at Exit 75 (crossing the Delaware River, the road is maintained (to a much higher standard) by Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission. 

"Western" I-70 has horrible design, but I concede the pavement was reasonably smooth.  "Eastern" I-70 features bad design, and not exactly the smoothest pavement (and yes, PennDOT is working on correcting some of the design deficiencies for the western part).

I-83 is generally smooth but the design is mostly beyond terrible (a long section between York and the Turnpike was reconstructed in the 1990's but the terrible interchange designs were kept).

The section of I-78 has reasonably modern design, but the pavement is beyond terrible. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

froggie

CP:  I think what you're complaining about regarding PennDOT has more to do with design than with maintenance.  I agree with Brandon...their pavement and basic maintenance tends to be okay.  And I've been around A LOT of Pennsylvania.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on April 18, 2017, 07:21:15 AM
CP:  I think what you're complaining about regarding PennDOT has more to do with design than with maintenance.  I agree with Brandon...their pavement and basic maintenance tends to be okay.  And I've been around A LOT of Pennsylvania.

Aside from my home state of Maryland and our neighbor to the south in Virginia, I have probably driven more in Penn's Woods than any other state.   Pavement is often smooth (in spite of the terrible design), but then there are sections where the pavement is in awful condition, such as that section of I-78 I mentioned upthread.  Parts of I-81 in Pennsylvania are also in pretty bad condition (though at least some other parts are being improved, such as around Ravine (Exit 104) in  Schuylkill County - at least Pennsylvania's cattle chute work zones do result in a relatively smooth riding surface when the work is done).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.