Clusterfucked interchanges

Started by ColossalBlocks, April 19, 2017, 11:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: cl94 on April 28, 2017, 07:51:43 PM
I'm shocked we got this far without mentioning any of the craziness along the Van Wyck. Let's see...

Kew Gardens Interchange: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7164004,-73.825302,974m/data=!3m1!1e3
Northern Blvd Connector: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7607567,-73.8447964,1685m/data=!3m1!1e3
Bruckner Interchange: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8287647,-73.8395274,817m/data=!3m1!1e3

The Kew Gardens interchange was mentioned on this post:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=20055.msg2221171#msg2221171

Would the I-75 interchanges with Fletcher and Fowler Avenues count? Because I think they could eliminated some median crossings with those.

roadgeek01

The Eisenhower Interchange in Harrisburg.  I always thought that there was a much better way to build that.  Such a pain in the rear-end during rush hour.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2525293,-76.8114632,16.35z
pork bork my hork

idk what it means either

dzlsabe

Quote from: Brandon on April 19, 2017, 01:19:04 PM
Around Chicago, The Circle.  This one has the power to fuck up not just the Ryan, Kennedy, and Ike expressways, but also the Stevenson (with the interchange near it), the Edens, the Bishop Ford, and I-57.
Quote from: sparker
At least IDOT had the good sense back in the '70's to reroute I-90 as a through route through Chicago's Circle interchange rather than turning it 90 degrees onto the Ike at that location!

Dont think theres anyone in Chicago that would call I-90 AND 94 "good sense" or a through route. And you know what 90 degrees infers? Hint. Its NOT that its hot outside.

The Ryan/Kennedy and Ike (Byrnecircle) need to be bypassed and the Strangler flown over. And no IDOT/ISTHA geniuses, the Tri-state, even after another $4B soon to be spent on it, or Ike HOVing is going to resolve the problem. Not a day goes by where these roads dont slow to a crawl. The other day I actually backed off an entrance to the Kennedy because it came to a complete STOP. We waste a minimum of $10B annually in time, fuel, lost productivity etc around here, an area with the GDP of OH or NJ. Times THIRTY years? Its time. No more 90/94.
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

roadman65

Quote from: roadgeek01 on May 06, 2017, 01:31:33 PM
The Eisenhower Interchange in Harrisburg.  I always thought that there was a much better way to build that.  Such a pain in the rear-end during rush hour.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2525293,-76.8114632,16.35z

The I-83 movements were an afterthought.  US 230 Bypass used Eisenhower and the freeway north of where US 322 enters I-83 was part of it.  So the US 322 interchange with Derry Street was the first of that freeway north of Paxtang Street where the arterial ended.

Remember PennDOT likes to ad lib things hence why I-80 and I-99 do not have the proper interchange two freeways need.  I-99 was sort of forced on the state thanks to one politician who had congress write the number into law and made it what was just to be a US route freeway into an interstate.  If US 220 alone intersected I-80 the way it did, it would not be breaking any rules and would not even get pushed for an upgrade there unless some sort of bottlenecks or accidents occur.

Yes pretty much correct as I-83 narrows to one lane through there.  In addition the interchange with PA 581 also needs to be redone as I-83 exits itself for a loop on the outside of a trumpet.  But that at least remains two lanes and not a drop down.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

dfwmapper

The I-30/I-35E "Mixmaster" interchange in Dallas qualifies on both counts. The original design was a clusterfuck of insufficient capacity, left exits, excessive weaving, and missing movements, while the new design mostly eliminates the bad design decisions but replaces them with an incredible amount of complexity with multiple C/D roads that have their own ramps in addition to the direct freeway-to-freeway connectors.

sparker

It's not so much clusterfucked as it is just plain weird:  the interchange between I-5 and CA 120 at Manteca.  NB 5 to EB 120 is the only "normal" movement; the opposite direction (WB 120>SB 5) utilizes the original US 50 bascule-type drawbridge (now disabled) across the San Joaquin River as part of its alignment.  And those two are the higher-volume/more direct ramps.  The other two movements are WB 120 to NB 5, this features a bridge over the adjoining UP rail line that has a very sharp curve at its apex; the opposite movement from SB 5 to EB 120 features a "hook" U-turn that ducks under the I-5 San Joaquin River bridges before merging with the NB 5>EB 120 lanes.  While originally designed that way due to lower anticipated volumes, the growth of the adjoining area has made the SB>EB/WB>NB movements much more utilized than before in order for folks living in west Manteca and Lathrop, the town directly NW, to access jobs and commerce in Modesto, some 20 miles southeast.  These ramps are fast becoming substandard for the volume they're being required to handle. 

cpzilliacus

Quote from: epzik8 on April 19, 2017, 12:42:27 PM
I-95/695, Exit 33/64 in Rosedale, Maryland (just northeast of Baltimore) might be one, to some extent. I think both highways lose a lane within that interchange. It's sort of difficult for traffic to merge from the ramps onto each highway.

I disagree.  That interchange has been upgraded to a modern stack (one of only two in the state) and appears to work well since it was completed.

Now there are three full cloverleaf interchanges in Maryland that do not work well and routinely break  down under heavy  traffic load (there are several more cloverleafs that the state has modified or totally rebuilt over the years, including one in Prince George's County at the junction of I-95/I-495 (Capital Beltway, Exit 22) and U.S. 50 ("secret" I-595, John Hanson Highway, Exit 7), which was once a creaking and overloaded cloverleaf).

On the other side of Baltimore from Rosedale is the junction of I-695 (Baltimore Beltway, Exit 7) and MD-295 (Baltimore-Washington Parkway) in Linthicum Heights, Anne  Arundel County, which might be the worst full cloverleaf in the state.  This fails routinely during peak commute times due to weaving and suffers from an elderly design.

South of there, at the junction of I-95/I-495 (Capital Beltway, Exit 22) and "secret" MD-295 (Baltimore-Washington Parkway) in Greenbelt, Prince George's County is another full cloverleaf.  This one is not as bad as its counterpart to the north but it also suffers badly during peak traffic periods, especially weekday afternoons.

Even further south in Forestville, Prince George's County is the junction of I-95/I-495 (Capital Beltway, Exit 11) and MD-4 (Pennsylvania Avenue Extended). It suffers from crashes on the mainline and on the ramps (even though this is probably the best-designed of the  three).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

I-90

I also would include the il64 interchange with us 20 I-290/I-294 and st Charles rd and the other interchanges near oak brook terrace

intelati49

Still half of a cluster...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandview_Triangle

Loads better with the design build project

mvak36

Quote from: intelati49 on May 21, 2017, 08:50:27 AM
Still half of a cluster...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandview_Triangle

Loads better with the design build project

Design-wise it's not so bad. The problem is there are just so many cars.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Buffaboy

Breezewood, I-70/I-76 if nobody mentioned that
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

ekt8750

Quote from: Buffaboy on June 30, 2017, 11:30:46 AM

It was but it doesn't qualify as an interchange cause well, there's no interchange lol

thenetwork

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 01, 2017, 12:18:25 PM
Quote from: sandwalk on April 30, 2017, 10:18:47 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on April 30, 2017, 02:28:17 PM
Quote from: sandwalk on April 30, 2017, 09:51:12 AM
The I-70 / I-270 / Quebec Street (CO Hwy 35) / Northfield Boulevard / Smith Road cluster in northeast Denver is a mess.

https://goo.gl/maps/Gi97cEnC5jP2

I-70 has a full interchange with Quebec Street and I-270 has a partial interchange with Quebec Street.....while Quebec Street has a full interchange with Northfield Boulevard and an exit ramp set-up with Smith Road. Quebec Street is a winding road, lanes get dropped, lanes are either excessively wide or too narrow at different points, merge points are always choked, etc.  It's a perplexing area to drive through. Take a look on StreetView if you have a minute.

In general I-70 and I-270 and their interchanges are a general mess east of I-25. Each interchange affects the other thanks to outdated infrastructure and unprecedented volumes of traffic. That should hopefully be remedied in the years to come with the Central 70 project: https://www.codot.gov/projects/i70east

i was in denver earlier this year, would you say that traffic has significantly increased in the past few years? 

I have lived here for just under 3 years and have noticed quite a bit of gridlock and bottleneck. Talking to Colorado natives, it seems like things have gotten really congested over the last 10 to 15 years.

It has to be all the new people moving there, it's a great city, I'd love to live there. 

Originally, those ramps were designed to bring people South of those interchanges to Stapleton (DEN) Airport.  When DEN moved out east to the new DIA airport 20-some years ago, that area was not too crowded. 

Now that most of old Stapleton has been converted to residential/commercial developments south of I-70 traffic counts have gone up.  But the Northfield Shopping district north of I-270 is where most of the gridlock is nowadays, as very little has been done to modify both Quebec interchanges to better move traffic north.  Instead they built the Central Park interchange on I-70 east of I-270 (where the runways used to be).as a relief route for Stapleton/Northfield traffic.

AND if you plan to move to Denver, be prepared to pay a lot for an abode as Denver currently has a housing shortage and it's quite expensive right now to even rent.

CapeCodder

On the Cape, it's most of the interchanges on the Mid-Cape. The Exit lanes are almost nil, and when someone has an accident, holy crap.

RG407

Golden Glades, the convergence of I-95, Florida's Turnpike, US 441, FL 9 and FL 826/Palmetto Expressway north of Miami.

silverback1065

Quote from: thenetwork on July 01, 2017, 09:23:32 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on May 01, 2017, 12:18:25 PM
Quote from: sandwalk on April 30, 2017, 10:18:47 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on April 30, 2017, 02:28:17 PM
Quote from: sandwalk on April 30, 2017, 09:51:12 AM
The I-70 / I-270 / Quebec Street (CO Hwy 35) / Northfield Boulevard / Smith Road cluster in northeast Denver is a mess.

https://goo.gl/maps/Gi97cEnC5jP2

I-70 has a full interchange with Quebec Street and I-270 has a partial interchange with Quebec Street.....while Quebec Street has a full interchange with Northfield Boulevard and an exit ramp set-up with Smith Road. Quebec Street is a winding road, lanes get dropped, lanes are either excessively wide or too narrow at different points, merge points are always choked, etc.  It's a perplexing area to drive through. Take a look on StreetView if you have a minute.

In general I-70 and I-270 and their interchanges are a general mess east of I-25. Each interchange affects the other thanks to outdated infrastructure and unprecedented volumes of traffic. That should hopefully be remedied in the years to come with the Central 70 project: https://www.codot.gov/projects/i70east

i was in denver earlier this year, would you say that traffic has significantly increased in the past few years? 

I have lived here for just under 3 years and have noticed quite a bit of gridlock and bottleneck. Talking to Colorado natives, it seems like things have gotten really congested over the last 10 to 15 years.

It has to be all the new people moving there, it's a great city, I'd love to live there. 

AND if you plan to move to Denver, be prepared to pay a lot for an abode as Denver currently has a housing shortage and it's quite expensive right now to even rent.

this basically describes every city worth moving to

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ekt8750 on June 30, 2017, 12:03:20 PM
Quote from: Buffaboy on June 30, 2017, 11:30:46 AM

It was but it doesn't qualify as an interchange cause well, there's no interchange lol

Sure there is.  It's just not a conventional highway-highway interchange.

longhorn

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6869259,-74.1638452,8579m/data=!3m1!1e3

The area around EWR Newark Airport, try getting to the hotels around the airport perimeter on I-78 or down by The Mills outlet mall. The interchanges make NO SENSE and are counter intuitive.

intelati49

Quote from: longhorn on July 05, 2017, 04:26:21 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6869259,-74.1638452,8579m/data=!3m1!1e3

The area around EWR Newark Airport, try getting to the hotels around the airport perimeter on I-78 or down by The Mills outlet mall. The interchanges make NO SENSE and are counter intuitive.

Well, that will take a half hour to decode even for me. Jeez :ded:

ixnay

Quote from: Tonytone on April 20, 2017, 06:08:02 PM
Quote from: Brandon on April 20, 2017, 05:57:02 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on April 20, 2017, 05:49:40 PM
I-95 thru Chester, Pa no left shoulder, Pa's suicide ramps and a zipline barrier altogether makes traffic backup. Also noted that people dont move over to let merging traffic on the highway so they just slowdown and cause the backup for miles.

Clusterfucked freeway, not a clusterfucked interchange.
The interchange with the ramps is what causes the bad weaving....

Tonytone might be referring to exit 3 northbound where U.S. 322 eb merges on the left.  For the next mile 95 and 322 are multiplexed and I imagine much of the weaving is caused by drivers accessing the Barry Bridge or PA 291 near the river, especially when the Union has a game at Talen Energy.

Further up at exit 7, the right lane nb is exit only for I-476, although since the ramp to nb 476 became a two laner, the center lane through the Chester trench has given its users a choice between 476 and staying on 95, so less excuse for weaving between exits 4 and 7 since the ramps for Kerlin St. and PA 352 don't remove any lanes from the mainline.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Tonytone

Quote from: ixnay on July 16, 2017, 05:10:36 PM
I-95 thru Chester, Pa no left shoulder, Pa's suicide ramps and a zipline barrier altogether makes traffic backup. Also noted that people dont move over to let merging traffic on the highway so they just slowdown and cause the backup for miles.

Tonytone might be referring to exit 3 northbound where U.S. 322 eb merges on the left.  For the next mile 95 and 322 are multiplexed and I imagine much of the weaving is caused by drivers accessing the Barry Bridge or PA 291 near the river, especially when the Union has a game at Talen Energy.

Further up at exit 7, the right lane nb is exit only for I-476, although since the ramp to nb 476 became a two laner, the center lane through the Chester trench has given its users a choice between 476 and staying on 95, so less excuse for weaving between exits 4 and 7 since the ramps for Kerlin St. and PA 352 don't remove any lanes from the mainline.

ixnay
That's exactly what it is but, when I-95 & 495 merge, I-95 going from 2 lanes to 1 & I-495 going from 3 lanes to 2 doesnt help this area either, so now you have highways that both get significant traffic (maybe back in the 70s this area moved smoothly) but the only for traffic to get better is to add an extra lane between the merge & up to the airport where 4 lanes are & the traffic gets better.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

PHLBOS

FWIW, there is a long-term plan to reconfigure the I-95/US 322 West interchange into an enlarged trumpet with the eastbound 322 traffic merging onto the right of I-95 northbound.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Tonytone

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 17, 2017, 04:09:41 PM

FWIW, there is a long-term plan to reconfigure the I-95/US 322 West interchange into an enlarged trumpet with the eastbound 322 traffic merging onto the right of I-95 northbound.
Where are the documents? & does that include widening I-95 to 4 lanes thru to Plymouth meeting & Philly Airport? Also will Pa ever update their welcome sign? Will those state troopers ever stop pulling people over?

iPhone

PHLBOS

Quote from: Tonytone on July 18, 2017, 02:54:38 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on July 17, 2017, 04:09:41 PMFWIW, there is a long-term plan to reconfigure the I-95/US 322 West interchange into an enlarged trumpet with the eastbound 322 traffic merging onto the right of I-95 northbound.
Where are the documents? & does that include widening I-95 to 4 lanes thru to Plymouth meeting & Philly Airport? Also will Pa ever update their welcome sign? Will those state troopers ever stop pulling people over?
Allow me to break apart your post & answer your questions.

1.  I only saw the proposed improvements on an overall site plan for a future I-95/US 322 interchange improvement project prepared by a consulting engineering firm.  I am not presently aware of the existence of any construction documents for this project.  Such was the reasoning for the long-term wording in my earlier post.

2.  The site plan only focuses on the US 322 West & Highland Ave. interchanges along I-95 in Chester (Township) as well as the somewhat-hidden US 322/Bethel Road interchange.

3.  Your "widening I-95 to 4 lanes thru to Plymouth meeting & Philly Airport" is somewhat vague & confusing because: a. I-95 goes nowhere near Plymouth Meeting (were you referring to I-476?) & b.  I-95 is already/at least 4 lanes in both directions (aka 8 lanes) between I-476 (Exit 7) and the Airport area (Exits 10-12).

4.  Updating the Welcome signs.  What needs to be updated?  PA stopped placing the Governor's name on those signs since the Rendell Administration (SPIRIT OF INDEPENDENCE was placed over the Governor's name); so that can't be the update.

5.  In your "Will those state troopers ever stop pulling people over?" question; are you referring to state troopers that pull over people at random or ones that actually pursue someone who's driving to endanger (i.e. weaving, excessive speeding and/or OUI)?  Granted, the posted speed of 55 mph along I-95 is a joke IMHO; from my personal experience, if one's doing 70 or below (& nothing else major) on that stretch of I-95, the troopers usually leave one alone.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Tonytone

Well this right here was a great answer ladies & gents.

1: I asked about documents because Id like to see the graphics for how they will be redoing the area, its a very tight area & anyone who has drove it knows, barrier in the middle of I-95 which means no left shoulder only a right one. & yea if it isnt getting done this year it wont be anytime soon , sadly.

2:I dont really see those exits as being a problem, its more of lack of lanes.

3: Yes from the PA-DE line I-95 is 3 lanes all the way to Plymouth meeting, Even though its 2 lanes for the Philadelphia exit & I-476 its still a bad area because if the tight turns & lanes, now dont get me wrong its not bad, but if they want traffic jams to stop in that area they need to take action. Yes & notice how when I-95 is 4 lanes it moves smoothly, 3 lane highways are not possible unless you're in the rural, not a fuckin city.

4: The design, that sign has been the same blue & white since I was little & im 19 now. Lol

5: This was a joke, I say that because of the state troopers that wait at the De-Pa line, I know the areas the police are in & the speeds that gets attention, Im a driver, I driver everyday all most all day, so I know what roads need fixing & what roads are the best.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.