News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Well, Google Street View is useless now

Started by bandit957, May 02, 2017, 10:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Today, Google Street View removed the arrows from the streets that let you navigate.

Now it's completely useless, a husk.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

sbeaver44

What would be the point in removing this?  Going out of their way to fix a non-issue?

Nexus 6P

silverback1065

I thought there was something wrong. They need to stop fucking with it

Nexus 6P

DeaconG

Just checked on Google Maps and the navigation arrows are there.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

oscar

They're still there on some images and not others. The ones where they're missing might be very recent imagery, though I haven't used it enough to be sure that's what's going on.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

freebrickproductions

Quote from: oscar on May 02, 2017, 10:39:33 PM
They're still there on some images and not others. The ones where they're missing might be very recent imagery, though I haven't used it enough to be sure that's what's going on.
It happens on older imagery as well, I've noticed.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

The click-anywhere-to-advance feature has been on-and-off for me as well. I suspect this is a cock-up on Google's end, and will be fixed shortly.

doorknob60

I think it's a bug. Usually when this happens, I click somewhere else nearby on the map, and then the click to advance arrows work fine from there.

MNHighwayMan

Are we talking about GSV in Google Maps (in browser) or in Google Earth (the separate program)? For quite a while now the latter has been mediocre to useless at best, and doesn't have any option to view historical imagery. The Maps version still works more than well enough for me (no issues navigating and can view any of the older images they have).

froggie

^ Google Maps.  I've also noticed it as an intermittent issue.

kphoger

Quote from: froggie on May 03, 2017, 07:28:47 AM
I've also noticed it as an intermittent issue.

Yes, this.  Exiting street view and going back in almost always gets it to work.  Sometimes clicking on a nearby location in the small view panel gets it to start working, sometimes it still doesn't.  Annoying.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

johndoe

My "favorite" new feature is the street view done at night.  I cannot imagine why this would be of use to anyone.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jakeroot

Quote from: johndoe on May 03, 2017, 07:17:08 PM
My "favorite" new feature is the street view done at night.  I cannot imagine why this would be of use to anyone.

I don't think Google intentionally uploaded night-time imagery. I run across it from time to time. Never seems to be for more than a few frames.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 03, 2017, 08:53:28 PM
The arrows are still there.

For some, the arrows come and go. Sometimes exiting and re-entering Street View brings them back.

Rover_0

I've had this issue, but I believe it's some kind of glitch. Still, it's very annoying.

XT1585

Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.