News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Is I-730 Going To Merge With I-555?

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, May 09, 2017, 03:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasRoadgeek

So, I have been watching for new releases on the I-730 proposal, but haven't seen any! I am opening up bets on if the two interstates will merge at some point.

Note: I-730 really isn't much of an interstate;akin to the 630.

The designation comes in the form of AR 226 and US 67 upgrades to Interstate-Freeway standards.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

The Ghostbuster

I doubt Interstate 730 will become a reality. It seems more likely that the US 67 corridor will become Interstate 57 than Interstate 30 (that is, if it gets an Interstate designation at all).

Alex

I-730 was just a suggestion from the Jonesboro Regional Chamber of Commerce in 2003. It was never an officially proposed route, and no further upgrades to Arkansas 226 are planned.

english si

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 09, 2017, 05:59:45 PM(that is, if it gets an Interstate designation at all).
It did. Friday. I-57. Signed into Law.

Quote from: Grzrd on May 06, 2017, 11:07:06 AM
SEC. 423. (a) Section 1105(c) of the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991 is amended by adding at the end the following:
"˜"˜(89) United States Route 67 from Interstate 40 in North Little Rock, Arkansas, to United States Route 412.
"˜"˜(90) The Edward T. Breathitt Parkway from Interstate 24 to Interstate 69.''.
(b) Section 1105(e)(5)(A) of the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991 is amended in the first sentence
by striking "˜"˜and subsection (c)(83)'' and inserting "˜"˜subsection (c)(83),subsection (c)(89), and subsection (c)(90)''.
(c) Section 1105(e)(5)(C)(i) of the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991 is amended by adding at the end
the following: "˜"˜The route referred to in subsection (c)(89) is designated as Interstate Route I—57. The route referred to in subsection (c)(90) is designated as Interstate Route I—169.''.

sparker

Obviously, with the I-57 designation now reality, the number "730" as applied to a Jonesboro spur is no longer applicable.  But given the glacially slow progress by which AR 226 was expanded into an expressway, it's unlikely that the concept of an Interstate spur along that same corridor will see any follow-through.  If & when the whole I-57 corridor between Little Rock and Sikeston is finally realized, things could possibly change, although the prospects are unlikely.

Having said that, there's little to stop some politico somewhere from unilaterally attaching an Interstate designation to HPC #52, which is the AR 226 corridor; we've all seen such things done before repeatedly!  (I-557, anyone?)

US71

Quote from: sparker on May 11, 2017, 05:30:35 PM
Obviously, with the I-57 designation now reality, the number "730" as applied to a Jonesboro spur is no longer applicable.  But given the glacially slow progress by which AR 226 was expanded into an expressway, it's unlikely that the concept of an Interstate spur along that same corridor will see any follow-through.  If & when the whole I-57 corridor between Little Rock and Sikeston is finally realized, things could possibly change, although the prospects are unlikely.

Having said that, there's little to stop some politico somewhere from unilaterally attaching an Interstate designation to HPC #52, which is the AR 226 corridor; we've all seen such things done before repeatedly!  (I-557, anyone?)

Yet, 226 "dumps" you on US 49, so IF there was an Interstate designation, it would end at 49. Then again I-540 turns into US 271 but it's still controlled access until OK 112 North
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: US71 on May 11, 2017, 11:47:58 PM
Quote from: sparker on May 11, 2017, 05:30:35 PM

Yet, 226 "dumps" you on US 49, so IF there was an Interstate designation, it would end at 49. Then again I-540 turns into US 271 but it's still controlled access until OK 112 North

They should at least get a plan in place to extend it to I-555 just north of Bay, and select a corridor. Also select a corridor from there using Nestlé Rd. as a frontage road  to AR 18 and from there a corridor to Paragould. All just 5o get it on the radar no matter how small the blip.

english si

I wouldn't be surprised, given the terribly slow pace of development north of the MO border, if I-57 heads along US412 to get to I-55. It's only a mile further than via Poplar Bluff, and links to I-69 via I-155.

It would then make sense to have a loop via Jonesboro - or even route the mainline that way and leave the routes to Walnut Ridge undeveloped/I-x57. However that Fut-57 is up to US412 rather than AR226, I'd imagine it would be a loop, not the mainline.

Revive 755

Quote from: english si on May 13, 2017, 06:15:37 AM
I wouldn't be surprised, given the terribly slow pace of development north of the MO border, if I-57 heads along US412 to get to I-55. It's only a mile further than via Poplar Bluff, and links to I-69 via I-155.

There would still be 39 miles of new freeway construction/expressway upgrades constructed in Missouri. Based on the upgrades being required for I-69 in Kentucky, the interchange at I-55 and I-155 would need to have the EB to NB loop replaced with a directional ramp, and the SB to SB loop at the current I-55/I-57 interchange would also need to be replaced.  Still might be interesting to see a benefit/cost analysis for this versus the 70 +/- miles (not taking the time to subtract the already freeway grade sections) of upgrading US 67 and US 60 in Missouri.

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone really see future Interstate 57 taking US 412's route? I would think the US 67/US 60 corridor connection to existing Interstate 57 would be more likely, even if it isn't built anytime soon.

sparker

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 13, 2017, 01:08:22 PM
Does anyone really see future Interstate 57 taking US 412's route? I would think the US 67/US 60 corridor connection to existing Interstate 57 would be more likely, even if it isn't built anytime soon.

Shifting a I-57 alignment onto US 412 would require much more in the way of construction than would the direct US 67/60 combination.  Even the 4-lane segment east of Kennett, MO was done by adding two lanes to the previous route; there is still plenty of private access that would have to be addressed; the remainder of the route through Paragould would entail a new-alignment bypass of that town in addition to upgrading the existing rural sections to Interstate-grade freeway.  While providing access (via I-155) to the I-69 corridor -- as well as I-55 and from there to the existing I-57, it's not much of a bargain vis-à-vis developmental costs, considering the extant freeway bypass of Poplar Bluff and the readily upgradeable US 60 east of there.   

aboges26

Quote from: sparker on May 13, 2017, 02:54:44 PM

Shifting a I-57 alignment onto US 412 would require much more in the way of construction than would the direct US 67/60 combination.  Even the 4-lane segment east of Kennett, MO was done by adding two lanes to the previous route; there is still plenty of private access that would have to be addressed; the remainder of the route through Paragould would entail a new-alignment bypass of that town in addition to upgrading the existing rural sections to Interstate-grade freeway.  While providing access (via I-155) to the I-69 corridor -- as well as I-55 and from there to the existing I-57, it's not much of a bargain vis-à-vis developmental costs, considering the extant freeway bypass of Poplar Bluff and the readily upgradeable US 60 east of there.

If anything, I-155 should be extended to meet I-57 in the far off future, but who's to say in 20-40 years time we are not talking about an interstate corridor proposal along the US 412 corridor across northern Arkansas.  Lot's of possibilities in the future!

Revive 755

I think the possibility of I-57 going along the US 412 corridor is currently very low, but becomes a greater possibility the longer the gap between with existing I-57 in Missouri is unfinished, especially if the population in Paragould keeps increasing.

sparker

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 13, 2017, 09:55:37 PM

I think the possibility of I-57 going along the US 412 corridor is currently very low, but becomes a greater possibility the longer the gap between with existing I-57 in Missouri is unfinished, especially if the population in Paragould keeps increasing.

Valid point -- but there's always the possibility (currently just a bit fictional!) that a continuous freeway along US 412, including the present I-155 segment, could be deployed all the way to Jackson, MS as (a) a Memphis "relief route" and (b) a I-69 access route if & when that corridor is completed in TN.  What such a route would be designated is anyone's guess (most likely: just a double-headed extension of 155). 

KamKam

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: sparker on May 14, 2017, 02:24:05 AM
Quote from: Revive 755 on May 13, 2017, 09:55:37 PM

Valid point -- but there's always the possibility (currently just a bit fictional!) that a continuous freeway along US 412, including the present I-155 segment, could be deployed all the way to Jackson, MS as (a) a Memphis "relief route" and (b) a I-69 access route if & when that corridor is completed in TN.  What such a route would be designated is anyone's guess (most likely: just a double-headed extension of 155).
You need to think of two new loops around Memphis
The outer most loop would be upgrading US 412  and using I-155 from Paragould to Jackson MS, use US 45 from Jackson TN to Tupelo, US 278 from there to Batesville, build the Batesville to Brinkley corridor except substitute Brinkley with Forrest City. The last part would be a upgrade of AR 1 from Forrest City to Jonesboro.

The inner loop would be new bridges that connected the I-55 and I-555 juction at Turrell to I-279 at Millington and a bridge south of West Memphis that either ran just south of Presidents Island and then to the 4 lane part of of US 61 or further south to Tunica and tie into I-69 there.

There two complete loops loops full of alternate routes .

bugo

The bigger question is whether US 49 and 63 will be rerouted in the future. 63 could follow current 49 from Brinkley to Jonesboro, while 49 could follow AR 1 between Walnut Corner and Jonesboro. Current US 49 between Brinkley and Walnut Corner could revert to its former designation of AR 6 or its even older designation of AR 20. Too bad the AASHTO 300 mile single state rule exists because this would make a great US connector highway. It could be US 149.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.