News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2016 city population estimates

Started by golden eagle, May 26, 2017, 01:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

Quote from: JJBers on June 10, 2017, 01:06:34 PM
Well, I guess I'll do a run down of CT

• 1. Bridgeport, 145,936
  • 2. New Haven, 129,934
  • 3. Stamford, 129,113
  • 4. Hartford, 123,243
  • 5. Waterbury, 108,272
Well, except for Stamford, all the cities were either stagnant in growth, or went down in population.

I believe Stamford will send up being the largest city in Connecticut.

noelbotevera

My rundown of PA:

1. Philadelphia, 1,567,872 (increase of 41,866)
2. Pittsburgh, 303,625 (decrease of 2,079)
3. Allentown, 120,443 (increase of 2,411)
4. Erie, 98,593 (decrease of 3,193)
5. Reading, 87,575 (decrease of 507)
6. Scranton, 77,291 (increase of 1,202)
7. Lancaster, 59,218 (decrease of 104)
8. Harrisburg, 48,904 (decrease of 624)
9. Altoona, 44,589 (decrease of 1,731)
10. York, 43,859 (increase of 141)
11. Wilkes-Barre, 40,569 (decrease of 929)

Aside from Philadelphia, every city/borough was stagnant in growth. I threw on Wilkes-Barre because I could. It needs to always be with Scranton.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Brandon

Illinois, the basketcase of the nation, and the only state other than West Virginia to lose population...

1. Chicago: 2,704,958
2. Aurora: 201,110
3. Joliet: 148,262
4. Rockford: 147,651
5. Naperville: 147,122
6. Springfield: 115,715
7. Peoria: 114,265
8. Elgin: 112,123
9. Waukegan: 88,182
10. Champaign:  86,637

Of these, since last year's estimate, only Aurora, Joliet, Naperville, Elgin, and Champaign grew.

Other notables:
Largest Town: 11. Cicero: 82,992
Largest Village: 13. Arlington Heights: 75, 525

In fact, Illinois (in which "village" refers to the type of government, not the size of the municipality) has 11 villages over 50,000 in population.  And, there are 1,297 incorporated places in the state (more than Texas) listed on the Census Bureau website.

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?src=bkmk
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

JJBers

Quote from: Brandon on June 16, 2017, 10:38:51 AM
Illinois, the basketcase of the nation, and the only state other than West Virginia to lose population...
Actually Connecticut joins the group this year
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

sparker

Quote from: golden eagle on June 15, 2017, 11:00:36 PM

• 1. Bridgeport, 145,936
  • 2. New Haven, 129,934
  • 3. Stamford, 129,113
  • 4. Hartford, 123,243
  • 5. Waterbury, 108,272
Well, except for Stamford, all the cities were either stagnant in growth, or went down in population.

As Stamford hosts a multitude of corporate HQ's, it is likely the above statement will be correct within a decade or two.  I'm not privy to CT's rules or historic stand regarding incorporated cities' land annexation policies, but if Stamford's coffers are in the black due to aggregate collected taxes (although it's likely that whatever corporate taxes there are remain just low enough to actually be attractive to firms looking to establish offices) city expansion -- both current and/or planned -- might portend well for population increases, which of course would require expansion of city-provided services and utilities as well.  It might be that Stamford is the exception to the CT stagnation phenomenon -- they must have an effective PR apparatus!  Or, alternately, the simplest of answers:  corporations doing business with one another prefer to locate in the same vicinity.   

JJBers

Quote from: sparker on June 16, 2017, 09:56:31 PM

• 1. Bridgeport, 145,936
  • 2. New Haven, 129,934
  • 3. Stamford, 129,113
  • 4. Hartford, 123,243
  • 5. Waterbury, 108,272

As Stamford hosts a multitude of corporate HQ's, it is likely the above statement will be correct within a decade or two.  I'm not privy to CT's rules or historic stand regarding incorporated cities' land annexation policies, but if Stamford's coffers are in the black due to aggregate collected taxes (although it's likely that whatever corporate taxes there are remain just low enough to actually be attractive to firms looking to establish offices) city expansion -- both current and/or planned -- might portend well for population increases, which of course would require expansion of city-provided services and utilities as well.  It might be that Stamford is the exception to the CT stagnation phenomenon -- they must have an effective PR apparatus!  Or, alternately, the simplest of answers:  corporations doing business with one another prefer to locate in the same vicinity.   
In Connecticut, there is no way to expand. The whole state is incorporated, unlike California, towns/cities don't grow as fast.
I think one of the reasons it's growing is also the fact that the NYC suburbs are creeping into the city.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

sparker

OK then -- Stamford: it's infill time!  If indeed incorporated cities there are limited to their extant boundaries, then in order to accommodate increased residents, there's only that route -- or going up.  Having said that -- and having been through the city a dozen or so times -- I don't think that there's any way to fit much more than 150K folks into the city limits; it may pass Bridgeport on its own in time, but the more likely scenario to #1 is population decreases elsewhere.   

JJBers

Quote from: sparker on June 16, 2017, 11:53:26 PM
OK then -- Stamford: it's infill time!  If indeed incorporated cities there are limited to their extant boundaries, then in order to accommodate increased residents, there's only that route -- or going up.  Having said that -- and having been through the city a dozen or so times -- I don't think that there's any way to fit much more than 150K folks into the city limits; it may pass Bridgeport on its own in time, but the more likely scenario to #1 is population decreases elsewhere.
Hartford has that covered, it's gone from 175k in 1960 to 123k in 2016.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: JJBers on June 16, 2017, 10:02:53 PM

• 1. Bridgeport, 145,936
  • 2. New Haven, 129,934
  • 3. Stamford, 129,113
  • 4. Hartford, 123,243
  • 5. Waterbury, 108,272

In Connecticut, there is no way to expand. The whole state is incorporated, unlike California, towns/cities don't grow as fast.
I think one of the reasons it's growing is also the fact that the NYC suburbs are creeping into the city.
Incorparated towns in mass became part of Boston.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JJBers

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 17, 2017, 11:04:25 AM
Quote from: JJBers on June 16, 2017, 10:02:53 PM

• 1. Bridgeport, 145,936
  • 2. New Haven, 129,934
  • 3. Stamford, 129,113
  • 4. Hartford, 123,243
  • 5. Waterbury, 108,272

metro area
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

empirestate

Quote from: JJBers on June 17, 2017, 11:06:14 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 17, 2017, 11:04:25 AM
metro area

No, really: places like Hyde Park, Roxbury and Dorchester are former towns that were annexed by the city of Boston.

bing101

Quote from: Desert Man on May 27, 2017, 07:51:32 AM
The 2014 population estimates of California's largest cities (in millions) - courtesy of Google search:
1. Los Angeles (3.977) - almost 4 mil could be 5 mil taken the account of second-home & uncounted residents.
2. San Diego (1.381) - slowed down. Neighboring city Tijuana, Baja Cal. Mexico has similar population.
3. San Jose (1.016) - surpassed a million, also slowed down, Northern Cal's largest city.
4. San Francisco (852,469) - city/county consolidation, has grown faster in the 2000s/10s.
5. Fresno (515, 486) - now larger than the state capital Sacramento, 6th place with 485,199.
7. Long Beach (473, 499) - still growing, but slower than in the mid 20th century period.
8. Oakland (413,755) - now called the New Brooklyn, black majority population (1990) declined to 20%.
9. Bakersfield (368,759) - the Dubai of America, due to oil economics, but not really a prosperous area.
10. Anaheim (346,997) - nearby Orange County seat Santa Ana, 11th place at 334,909.
12. Riverside (340.000) - in previously rapid-growth Inland Empire region in Southern Cal.
and 13. Stockton (320,000) - worst city in America (if you don't count Detroit on the list).

Riverside county's other largest cities are Moreno Valley at 210,000, Corona at 198,000, Temecula at 130,000 and Murrieta at 110,000. San Bernardino in its namesake county north of San Bernardino has 235,000 people, Fontana at 215,000 and Ontario at 168,000 (shrank, while Fontana booms and San Bernardino rebounds), and Rancho Cucamonga has 165,000. The rapid-growing Victorville area: Victorville and Hesperia each now have over 100,000 residents...and two non-incorporated towns Cabazon (Riv) and Landers (SB) are 1,000-2,500. 

Locally, my hometown Indio is the largest of the Palm Springs area: 97,000 - double of Palm Springs and Palm Desert, the 2nd largest is Cathedral City with 61,000 and Coachella south of Indio now has 43,000 residents. The towns of La Quinta have 43,000 as well, then Desert Hot Springs (the worst non-major city in America) is home to 25,000, and affluent gated communities of Rancho Mirage at 16,000 and tiny Indian Wells at 6,100. Way to the east in the Colorado River (Ca-Az state line) is Blythe, home to 25,000 residents and what a long drive on the I-10 it is.

Wow I never thought that Fresno is bigger than Sacramento though for California's largest Inland city.

Stephane Dumas

Desert Man

-As mentioned above, small towns like Blythe, isolated by 150+ miles of desert, are included in the Riverside-San Bernardino metro area;

Blythe and La Paz county AZ is closer to Yuma (AZ) and Imperial (CA) counties, but Blythe is part of Riverside county with the closest government offices in Indio.

Needles in San Bernardino county, CA should be treated like a part of the Las Vegas metro area like Pahrump. More like the Kingman-Mohave county AZ area, the place across the Colorado River.

You could well have Needles annexed by Nevada and Blythe by Arizona, despite the Colorado River as a natural barrier is used as a state boundary.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Desert Man on September 26, 2017, 10:21:57 PM
-As mentioned above, small towns like Blythe, isolated by 150+ miles of desert, are included in the Riverside-San Bernardino metro area;

Blythe and La Paz county AZ is closer to Yuma (AZ) and Imperial (CA) counties, but Blythe is part of Riverside county with the closest government offices in Indio.

Needles in San Bernardino county, CA should be treated like a part of the Las Vegas metro area like Pahrump. More like the Kingman-Mohave county AZ area, the place across the Colorado River.

You could well have Needles annexed by Nevada and Blythe by Arizona, despite the Colorado River as a natural barrier is used as a state boundary.

In regards to Needles it is more part of the Bullhead City metro area.  Wasn't there some movement a couple years ago to try to get Congress to change the state line with Nevada to get Needles within Clark County?   I want to say that there was some sort of similar push for Wendover, UT to be shifted into Nevada also.

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 27, 2017, 12:31:13 AM

In regards to Needles it is more part of the Bullhead City metro area.  Wasn't there some movement a couple years ago to try to get Congress to change the state line with Nevada to get Needles within Clark County?   I want to say that there was some sort of similar push for Wendover, UT to be shifted into Nevada also.

That's part of what seems to be a perpetual conversation within the desert areas of San Bernardino County about the plight of far-flung towns within the county and the distance from the administrative centers located in San Bernardino itself.  Much of that comes from the Yucca Valley/29 Palms area; some activists from that region have suggested that their area, along with the part of San Bernardino County closest to the Colorado River/state line, be "spun off" into a separate county, with 29 Palms being the county seat.  That in turn has led to a multitude of separate proposals emanating from the Victorville/Apple Valley area with the aim being that the entire desert section of the county would secede, leaving the Inland Empire section of the county, along with the Lake Arrowhead/Big Bear Lake mountain areas, as the remaining San Bernardino County.  Given that San Bernardino County is by far the largest county jurisdiction in the nation (one could fit all of New England save Maine into that one county by virtue of sheer square mileage!), there have been at least as many various proposals to split it up as there have been for California itself; most of these have been prompted by the isolation of the outlying towns (Needles, Baker, and others) from centralized county services.     

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on September 28, 2017, 03:15:43 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 27, 2017, 12:31:13 AM

That's part of what seems to be a perpetual conversation within the desert areas of San Bernardino County about the plight of far-flung towns within the county and the distance from the administrative centers located in San Bernardino itself.  Much of that comes from the Yucca Valley/29 Palms area; some activists from that region have suggested that their area, along with the part of San Bernardino County closest to the Colorado River/state line, be "spun off" into a separate county, with 29 Palms being the county seat.  That in turn has led to a multitude of separate proposals emanating from the Victorville/Apple Valley area with the aim being that the entire desert section of the county would secede, leaving the Inland Empire section of the county, along with the Lake Arrowhead/Big Bear Lake mountain areas, as the remaining San Bernardino County.  Given that San Bernardino County is by far the largest county jurisdiction in the nation (one could fit all of New England save Maine into that one county by virtue of sheer square mileage!), there have been at least as many various proposals to split it up as there have been for California itself; most of these have been prompted by the isolation of the outlying towns (Needles, Baker, and others) from centralized county services.     

Really San Bernardino County could have been split into three counties a long time ago.  Needles just wants the gambling revenue, if it was going to really push for jumping states than Mohave County in Arizona would serve them better...even though it doesn't stand a chance in hell of ever happening.  Essentially I could foresee San Bernardino, Victorville, and Blythe becoming the seats of the respective county units.  The names for counties could be a cake walk with the Mojave County for the Victorville seat and Sonoran County for the Blythe. 

Desert Man

Indio ties with Santa Ana, CA as the most Hispanic/Latino percentage "major" cities in the state, Indio is like 75% similar to Santa Ana. Nearby Coachella is 95%, and all the towns in the eastern Coachella Valley (Thermal, Mecca and Oasis) are 2nd-4th place most Hispanic/ Latino in the state after Calexico on the border with Mexicali (98%). All 7 incorporated cities in Imperial county are 90% Mexican-American or Hispanic, peaking in the farm labor harvest seasons. I understand farm towns in Central and Southern CA are largely of Mexican descent, but major cities like Los Angeles, south/eastern LA county like East L.A. and Long Beach, most of the San Bernardino-Riverside area, and the southern San Diego area (San Ysidro near Tijuana) are majority or totally Latino areas.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

empirestate

Quote from: sparker on September 28, 2017, 03:15:43 AM
one could fit all of New England save Maine into that one county by virtue of sheer square mileage!

Not meaning to hijack, but I always enjoy comparative phrases like this. Since Maine makes up a substantial percentage of the area of New England, this is like saying "enough to cover your entire body except for the legs" or "enough to clean your entire house minus the floors". :)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.