News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New UT-131 in Draper

Started by US 89, May 26, 2017, 04:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

The official UDOT highway map for SLC shows a UT-131 going from between Redwood and MVC to 14600 S. Anyone know anything more about this?

Rover_0

Quote from: roadguy2 on May 26, 2017, 04:49:06 PM
The official UDOT highway map for SLC shows a UT-131 going from between Redwood and MVC to 14600 S. Anyone know anything more about this?

Yep. It was signed into law this year; it's planned to follow Porter Rockwell Blvd. from SR-140 (14600 S) southwest along the new Porter Rockwell Blvd across a yet-to-be-built bridge over the Jordan River set to open next year to SR-68 (Redwood Rd) at the current northern SR-68/85 junction (Redwood Rd/Porter Rockwell Blvd). My bet is that when the 2100 N portion of 85 is connected with the rest of the route (the two sections are currently connected by a concurrency* between 68 and 85 with the northern/main segment of 85 currently beginning/ending at PR Blvd), SR-131 will assume the PR Blvd stub to the west of SR-68.

Speaking of SR-140, as part of a tradeoff with Bluffdale (as UDOT is wont to do), pretty much all of the route (west of 850 W) has been turned over to that city. It wouldn't surprise me entirely if the rest of 140 west of 131 is turned over to Bluffdale City in the years to go.

Also, it's probably not found on there, but there's also a new SR-135 (on Pleasant Grove Blvd) between the newer SR-129 (N County Blvd and 700 North in Pleasant Grove) and 2800 West just to the west of I-15's Exit 275. It ends in an area where there's a lot of nothing right now, but I have a feeling that SR-135 will eventually meet up with the newer SR-176 (currently the Vineyard Connector which is set to swing northward) when both roads are more fully constructed.

I've also went down there to investigate new signage and there's nothing there yet...the UT-140 signs haven't yet been removed from the SR-68/(old) SR-140 intersection either, but these things take time.

*Keeping in mind that state route concurrencies in Utah are a very tenuous thing and are rarely signed, though 68/85 has some dual signage with both routes at 2600 N. But all the other assemblies only sign 68, and there's an "END SR-85" sign at the Redwood Rd/2100 N intersection.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Rothman

I am just trying to wrap my head around a road being named after Porter Rockwell.

He is admired by Mormons for his devotion to Joseph Smith, but he definitely headed off on a rough-and-tumble path once he got out west after Smith's martyrdom.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

Quote from: Rover_0 on May 27, 2017, 12:45:23 AM
Speaking of SR-140, as part of a tradeoff with Bluffdale (as UDOT is wont to do), pretty much all of the route (west of 850 W) has been turned over to that city. It wouldn't surprise me entirely if the rest of 140 west of 131 is turned over to Bluffdale City in the years to go.

I'm not at all surprised about turning 140 over to Bluffdale. It always suprised me that it was even a state route anyway, especially with that one lane railroad bridge.

In that case, they might as well eliminate the 140 designation completely and extend 131 over old 140 (14600 S) to I-15.

Rover_0

My thoughts exactly. Eliminating SR-140 entirely once SR-131 is completed to SR-68, I believe, is ultimately the end game here. It may take a few years and some recent BGSs would need to be modified/replaced, but I see it happening within a decade.

At its full SR-68 to I-15 extent, SR-140 was (well, is, just without the designation most of the way) a fun little route with character.

XT1585

US 89

Bumping an old thread. I just drove what exists of SR-131, and observed several interesting things:

The east segment of Porter Rockwell currently ends at Harmon Day Drive, the last road before the Jordan River. This segment is currently three lanes, one in each direction plus a center turn lane, but there appears to be sufficient ROW to expand to 5 lanes once the Jordan River bridge opens. Here's the current west end:

There are no SR-131 signs to be seen, even at the 14600 South junction (where there are no SR-140 signs, either). However, there are several SR-131 shields posted...at the junction with Redwood Rd, which isn't even open yet!

In addition, I observed this on Bangerter:

Every single BGS for Exit 1 has that extra space. My guess would be that UDOT is planning to extend Porter Rockwell Blvd north to tie into 600 West, and route SR-131 on it.

Rover_0

Quote from: US 89 on December 17, 2018, 05:57:12 PM
Bumping an old thread. I just drove what exists of SR-131, and observed several interesting things:

The east segment of Porter Rockwell currently ends at Harmon Day Drive, the last road before the Jordan River. This segment is currently three lanes, one in each direction plus a center turn lane, but there appears to be sufficient ROW to expand to 5 lanes once the Jordan River bridge opens. Here's the current west end:

There are no SR-131 signs to be seen, even at the 14600 South junction (where there are no SR-140 signs, either). However, there are several SR-131 shields posted...at the junction with Redwood Rd, which isn't even open yet!

In addition, I observed this on Bangerter:

Every single BGS for Exit 1 has that extra space. My guess would be that UDOT is planning to extend Porter Rockwell Blvd north to tie into 600 West, and route SR-131 on it.

I used to work in the area and I think that UDOT will eventually extend SR-131 to at least Bangerter Highway, but a  connection has been made from 200 West to Lone Peak Parkway. While 131 would need to swing over from 600 West at SR-154's Exit 1 on 13490 South to 200 West and north along 200 West to Lone Peak Parkway and north to SR-71 (12300 South), I think that it could be done.

i-215

Quote from: Rothman on May 27, 2017, 01:45:53 AM
I am just trying to wrap my head around a road being named after Porter Rockwell.

He is admired by Mormons for his devotion to Joseph Smith, but he definitely headed off on a rough-and-tumble path once he got out west after Smith's martyrdom.

I compare it to a road being named after "Billy the Kid Blvd" or "Doc Holiday Drive."  Reasonable in an area where they are a prominent figure of town history, but inappropriate elsewhere.  Knowing history, Bluffdale seems a reasonable place to put it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.