News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Backup (Standby) Generators

Started by I-39, May 30, 2017, 09:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

Now that I've asked the question about having a UPS, my next question is, who here has a backup generator hooked up to your residence? When I say backup generator, I mean the permanently installed ones that turn themselves on and off with a transfer switch, not the portable ones you have to run cords to and refuel.

I had one on my house when I lived in Illinois, but I don't have one where I currently live (in Tennessee). Luckily, the power hasn't gone out for more than an hour at my current location (knock on wood), but having a standby generator is nice to have in case of a prolonged power outage. It sure beats having to use a portable generator.

sparker

Quote from: I-39 on May 30, 2017, 09:50:49 PM
Now that I've asked the question about having a UPS, my next question is, who here has a backup generator hooked up to your residence? When I say backup generator, I mean the permanently installed ones that turn themselves on and off with a transfer switch, not the portable ones you have to run cords to and refuel.

I had one on my house when I lived in Illinois, but I don't have one where I currently live (in Tennessee). Luckily, the power hasn't gone out for more than an hour at my current location (knock on wood), but having a standby generator is nice to have in case of a prolonged power outage. It sure beats having to use a portable generator.

Back in the '70's, I lived in an old frame house in Palo Alto; my roommate, who set up concert venues for a living, had a bunch of rechargeable gel cels (24V with 5 in series=120V; he employed 8 of these 5-cel series to get some decent current capability) to run lights, burglar alarm, phone switcher (this was about 1976!).  He also had a couple of battery-operated small TV sets, since to keep the basic necessities running during a power outage we couldn't run standard CRT TV's, the electric stove, or either of our admittedly power-hungry audio systems.  Seeing as we had about 3 multi-hour outages the first year I was living there (bad, bad PG&E!) his fastidiousness regarding this backup was quite valid.  Luckily incandescent bulbs work equally well on DC as with AC; he built voltage regulators for the remainder.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.