News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Idea for freeway exits

Started by bendim, June 01, 2017, 10:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bendim

I was thinking, why is there a single lane that people have to quickly enter and exit from when driving on a cloverleaf interchange? Why isn't there a third lane the continues? What I'm saying you could have a zipper merge from people coming into that lane while the same people enter to get in the other direction. I will attach a drawing. (once I figure out how)

pumpkineater2

Are you referring to a collector/distributor lane that separates weaving traffic from mainline traffic? These already exist in many places. Example:https://goo.gl/maps/jxVp57PHPzK2
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

sparker

A very similar concept exists at the I-95/US 64 (future [blech!] I-87) cloverleaf interchange near Rocky Mount. NC; the C/D lanes in both directions on US 64 are separated from the main through lanes by painted "double-double" lines.  Interestingly, I-95 employs physically separated C/D lanes in both directions here.

Revive 755

Quote from: bendim on June 01, 2017, 10:48:15 PM
I was thinking, why is there a single lane that people have to quickly enter and exit from when driving on a cloverleaf interchange? Why isn't there a third lane the continues? What I'm saying you could have a zipper merge from people coming into that lane while the same people enter to get in the other direction. I will attach a drawing. (once I figure out how)

If you are refering to just having the weave lane extended beyond the exiting loop, there are a few out there - one of which is on westbound US 30 at I-35 in Ames, Iowa:  Google Aerial

US 89

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 03, 2017, 09:40:06 PM
Quote from: bendim on June 01, 2017, 10:48:15 PM

If you are refering to just having the weave lane extended beyond the exiting loop, there are a few out there - one of which is on westbound US 30 at I-35 in Ames, Iowa:  Google Aerial

If that is indeed what the OP is referring to, it is probably more common than you'd think. In SLC, it occurs on all four directions at the 215/201 cloverleaf, on 80 east at the half cloverleaf at Foothill, and on 80 west at the Bangerter cloverleaf (which also uses a separated C/D lane).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.