Random Question about Early 288 Freeway configuration in Houston

Started by thisdj78, June 02, 2017, 09:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thisdj78

Somewhat of an odd question: I remember having an old Houston street map (late 80s/early 90s maybe?) and it showed the 288 lanes swapping sides and back again in the area were Beltway 8 would eventually intersect. Was this a real configuration or a map error?

Below is a picture of what I'm referring to using my excellent MS Paint skills:

MaxConcrete

That was a map error. There was never any crossover on SH 288.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

bwana39

Us59 east of downtown was in a weird configuration for a while in the early 1980s. The two center lanes each had opposite direction traffic on both sides. like 2 freeways all mixed together,   I think it was two lane sets, it may have been threes
THE two middle sets of lanes both had opposite direction traffic on both sides. The set of lanes nearest downtown were Northbound the next one out was southbound the next one from that was northbound and the one to the farthest east was southbound  it was just weird

I think I 10 or I-45 was rerouted for construction project but man it was weird to me country boy about 23
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: thisdj78 on June 02, 2017, 09:39:28 PM
Somewhat of an odd question: I remember having an old Houston street map (late 80s/early 90s maybe?) and it showed the 288 lanes swapping sides and back again in the area were Beltway 8 would eventually intersect. Was this a real configuration or a map error?

Below is a picture of what I'm referring to using my excellent MS Paint skills:

I believe that is because the first design for a Beltway 8/288 interchange called for something like Birmingham's Malfunction Junction, but TXDOT intervened and went with the current directional Maltese Cross design.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.