News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

First video game/arcade game you remember?

Started by JJBers, July 03, 2017, 10:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexus73

Pong on the console meant for home use was my first video game experience.  Before that time there was an arcade game where one fired torpedoes to sink ships that had a video-like display of the torpedo heading for the decidedly non-video ships.  That was a good predecessor of what was to come.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

bmorrill

Back in the early 70s there was a Mexican restaurant called Ricardo's here in San Angelo that had a sit-down Pong machine by the front door. Looked kinda like a baby pool table. Never saw anyone play it, but that was the first arcade machine I saw.

sparker

The first video arcade I came across was in the Sunnyvale Mall circa 1981, and most definitely Pong was the first game installed at the place;  there were about 6-7 Pong machines right next to a row of "analog" pinball games -- as well as some 5-foot-tall pachinko machines.  I remember some friends telling me (this is circa late '82/early '83) about this neat new game that was featured on a half-dozen machines -- turned out to be Pac-Man (with one "Lady Pac-Man thrown in for good measure).  I ended up playing that game for several hours a night for a couple of weeks -- kind of strange for a guy in his early '30's!  I was married at the time -- and my wife wasn't particularly amused by my trips to the arcade (but then she wasn't amused by much of anything!).  One of the quickest in & out phases of my life!

Roadgeekteen

I played angry birds when I was 7 or 8. First video game I played.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 08, 2017, 12:54:36 AM

34 never felt so old...

Another data point for PacMan.  I recall a tabletop version from the late 80's where the CRT monitor pointed up at a shallow angle toward the player.  My brothers and I would log some time at that PacMan game while we waited for a table at a specific restaurant/bar in that era.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

JJBers

I started wayyy before you, like 2008 or something
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

Rothman

Battlezone in the arcade.  1981.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: JJBers on July 08, 2017, 01:41:35 AM
I did not play video games as a little kid. I was kinda a late guy for video games, did not get first console untill age 10.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JJBers

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 09, 2017, 09:55:42 PM
Quote from: JJBers on July 08, 2017, 01:41:35 AM
I did not play video games as a little kid. I was kinda a late guy for video games, did not get first console untill age 10.
Well then, technically my first console was a classic GameCube from back in 2007, but I don't remember if I ever played it much, and then came my DS lite in 2008.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

inkyatari

Currently I own...

• Atari 7800
  • Atari 5200
  • Atari 2600
  • Sega Master System
  • Coleco ADAM computer
  • Atari 65 XE computer
  • Colecovision Flashback
  • Atari Flashback Portable
  • Sega Genesis Flashback Portable
  • PSOne

I also have a Raspberry Pi with the RetroPie package installed for all other classic gaming needs

Non classic gaming, I own a Wii and a Wii U
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: inkyatari on July 10, 2017, 09:02:59 AM
Currently I own...

• Atari 7800
  • Atari 5200
  • Atari 2600
  • Sega Master System
  • Coleco ADAM computer
  • Atari 65 XE computer
  • Colecovision Flashback
  • Atari Flashback Portable
  • Sega Genesis Flashback Portable

I also have a Raspberry Pi with the RetroPie package installed for all other classic gaming needs

Non classic gaming, I own a Wii and a Wii U

Well not quite as classic and I haven't bought a new game since 2009 (aside from downloading Mega Man 10 and Double Dragon Neon) but here is what I got out on the living room mantle:

Atari 2600
NES
Game Boy/All the black and white games anyways
Game Gear
Sega Genesis
Some Sega CD games, my console was wiped out in a flood
SNES
N64
PS1 Games
PS2 Games
PS3 which plays the PS1 and PS2 games
Game Cube

I'd love to find a working Sega CD but most of the good ones cost a fortune these days.  That was such a weird system, it had really good games like Sonic CD and Snatcher just to do a complete 180 with FMV games like Night Trap.  I'm still amazed people really lumped that in with stuff like Mortal Kombat and Doom as corrupting the little minds of the youth of America.

inkyatari

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 10, 2017, 09:45:51 AM

Well not quite as classic

Which begs the question, what qualifies as "classic"

Quoteand I haven't bought a new game since 2009

The only recent game I've been interested in was Super Mario Maker.  We need a new Wii U gamepad, as my son keeps playing the WiiU with dirty hands....

If you really want a fun time, check out the PC game Zelda Classic.   It's a PC remake of the first Legend of Zelda, with a construction set.  I've been meaning to do a version with the graphics of Atari's Adventure...

http://zeldaclassic.com
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: inkyatari on July 10, 2017, 10:16:15 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 10, 2017, 09:45:51 AM

Well not quite as classic

Which begs the question, what qualifies as "classic"

Quoteand I haven't bought a new game since 2009

The only recent game I've been interested in was Super Mario Maker.  We need a new Wii U gamepad, as my son keeps playing the WiiU with dirty hands....

If you really want a fun time, check out the PC game Zelda Classic.   It's a PC remake of the first Legend of Zelda, with a construction set.  I've been meaning to do a version with the graphics of Atari's Adventure...

http://zeldaclassic.com

I'll have a look later this week when I have some time off.  I recently got the Zelda randomizer for the first NES game.  Essentially it just switches all the locations of; items, secrets, and even monster locations.  You can mess with the programming to ensure the game is actually beatable, it sure makes the NES game replayable in my opinion and works on both quests.

As far as classic, I would probably say anything before the PS3 era has crossed into that territory based off how collectible it is.  There is something about modern games though and I can't put my finger on it that just doesn't appeal to me.  There is certain aspects like being always online, length, and not getting the full game when you buy it that are really unappealing to me.

froggie

Quote from: cjk374For me, my first & only game console was the Intellivision by Mattel. Great games like Astrosmash, Night Stalker, Maze-a-Tron (based on the 80s's Tron movie).

I preferred Tron Deadly Discs to Maze-a-Tron.  Other favorites included AD&D Treasure of Tarmin, Atlantis, B-17 Bomber (for the IntelliVoice), Dreadnaught Factor, River Raid (Intellivision version was much better than Atari's), Thin Ice, and Utopia.  My father and I also enjoyed World Championship Baseball (the later 1987 version that included sliding and fly balls).

JJBers

If were listing down consoles, I'll join in. I have:
A Super Nintendo
A Gameboy Advance
2 GameCubes
A DS
2 Wiis'
A 3DS
A Playstation 2, with some PS1 games
and a broken Xbox (2001)

One of the Wiis' I own has virtual console games for the NES, SNES, and N64. While my 3DS has vitrual console for the NES and the Game Boy
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

hm insulators

The Fun Factory on Kauai in the early 1980s! Used to play the classic games: Asteroids, Space Invaders, Defender and so forth.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

kkt

Pinball, definitely.  At the Oasis in Menlo Park.  Kids were allowed with parents, and the Oasis was a watering hole for my dad's work.

If you meant electronic, Pong.  Played in an arcade first, but later had it at home.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.