News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Which remaing Northeast 65 state is most likely to raise their speed limit.

Started by dvferyance, July 25, 2017, 06:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

Quote from: froggie on July 29, 2017, 06:08:23 PM
Quote from: roadman65CT has no 55 off freeways and ditto for VT.

This is not true.  There are segments of US 2 (N of Burlington and W of St. J), US 7 (Wallingford-Rutland), and VT 63 that are non-freeways but still 55.  A better way to say what you were trying to is that Vermont doesn't allow a speed higher than 55 on roads that are not a 4-lane freeway.

This does fit in with my understanding, though, that VT will not post 55 without some form of access control. Those sections of 2, 7, and 63 may have at-grade intersections, but they do not have driveways.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

That is correct.  But to say that there are no non-freeway 55 segments as roadman did is false.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: roadman65 on July 28, 2017, 12:03:00 PM
CT has no 55 off freeways and ditto for VT.
State law does allow for non-freeway SRs to have 55mph speed limits but CONNDOT just hasn't handed any out. 

mariethefoxy

people do 80 as it is on the LIE, might as well up the speed limit to reflect how people actually drive.

roadman65

Why is the LIE still 55 considering NYS having other freeways outside the city areas at 65? Even if its just Suffolk that would be sufficient and include NY 27 where controlled access as well.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Duke87

Quote from: roadman65 on August 01, 2017, 09:07:08 PM
Why is the LIE still 55 considering NYS having other freeways outside the city areas at 65? Even if its just Suffolk that would be sufficient and include NY 27 where controlled access as well.

Because Long Island is physically difficult to leave, so the population there is culturally stuck in a sort of modern Plato's cave.

Most of the rest of the country has seen speed limits higher than 55 many times and doesn't think too much of them. But Long Islanders have not, and are unwilling to accept them because the world as they know it chained to the wall of their cave island does not feature them as a valid concept.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

EricJV95

I truly see New Jersey raising the speed limit up to 70. When ? That is yet to be determined. When New Jersey DOES raise the speed limit to 70. ONLY certain parts of some of the interstates and parts of the Garden State Parkway , Atlantic City Expressway and the N.J. Turnpike will see 70. Here's how I could see it happen.

Interstate 195 (Between I-295 and the G.S. Parkway) 70
Interstate 295 (Between Trenton and the N.J. Turnpike / Del. Mem. Br.) 70
Interstate 78 (Between the NJ/PA Border to EXIT 29 at I-287) 70
                   (Then from EXIT 29 to Hillside-Irvington Exit) 65

Interstate 80 (Between Del. Water Gap and EXIT 53 at Rt. 46) 70
                    (From EXIT 53 Wayne to EXIT 68 at I-95 NJ Turnpike - G Washington Br.) 60

Interstate 280 (Between Parsippany at I-80 and EXIT 9) 70
                     (From EXIT 11 to the NJ Turnpike) 55 (50 in Newark)

Interstate 287 (From the NJ/NY Line at the Thruway and Rt 17 to the NJ Turnpike in Edison) 70

Ok . Here come the big kids!!

Garden State Parkway: 65 between the NJ/NY Border at the NY Thruway to the Essex Toll Plaza.
                                  60 between EXIT 149 and the Union Toll Plaza at EXIT 142
                                  65 between EXIT 140 and EXIT 129 NJ Turnpike
                                  70 from EXITS 129 On down.

Atlantic City Expressway (Between the NJ Turnpike and Atlantic City) 70 the whole stretch.

N.J. Turnpike: From Del. Mem Br. (I-295) to EXIT 11 (G.S. Parkway) 70
                     From EXIT 11 to EXIT 13A (Newark Airport-Elizabeth) 65
                     From EXIT 14 to EXITS 16W and 16E (E. Rutherford - Lincoln Tunnel) 60
                     And to I-80 , Rt 46 G. Washington Bridge (55)

I could see this in New Jersey. They drive fast anyway.

Alps

Here is my amended version of your list, based on NJ.

Interstate 195 - Between NJ Turnpike and NJ 34. Definitely not 70 west of Tpk. due to exit density and volume.

Interstate 295 - Between Exit 2 and Exit 13. Then you get into the old 130 section and forget it, on through the traffic and curves of Camden area. MAYBE between Exit 40 and Exit 57.

Interstate 78 - Exits 18-40. The big curve around Alpha would be a short 70 if the DRJTBC does it at all - separate jurisdiction and all. Then I don't expect anything on the US 22 concurrency, with a lot of traffic and exits. East of I-287 you still have a good roadway until the exits and traffic get dense again starting at 40.

Interstate 80 - I laugh at your water gap. Exits 4-25, and probably east of the first big hill past Exit 4. Exits 25-28 are staying where they are due to Netcong. You might see Exits 28-34 up to 70, but then back to 65 as you hit the dense exits with 4 lanes each way, and never again at 70 (I don't see it happening in the curve through Fairfield).

Interstate 280 - No. The traffic and geometry are not conducive anywhere.

Interstate 287 - HAHAHAHAHAHA. Between exit density, geometry, number of lanes, and traffic, you're not getting 70 mph at least to Exit 47 - only to drop it again at Exit 52? And with all the traffic in the two lanes north of Exit 59, I will bet you the answer is not at all.

Garden State Parkway - Exits 0-36, Exits 41-80, Exits 83-102, then the Express Roadways (not Locals, to keep through traffic in the inner lanes). 70 mph ends at the merge. You won't see it again. Too much exit density and curvature near the NY state line.

Atlantic City Expressway - Almost. 70 mph from the NJ 42 split to the Garden State Parkway, but then no because of median parking.

N.J. Turnpike - I think you'll only see it up to Exit 9, since 9-10-11 are relatively close and high volume. The Westerly Alignment is a candidate for at least 65 once a lane is added (if that ever happens).

Quote from: EricJV95 on August 02, 2017, 09:45:00 PM
I truly see New Jersey raising the speed limit up to 70. When ? That is yet to be determined. When New Jersey DOES raise the speed limit to 70. ONLY certain parts of some of the interstates and parts of the Garden State Parkway , Atlantic City Expressway and the N.J. Turnpike will see 70.

Roadsguy

I think that if the PA Turnpike can be 70, pretty much anything can be 70, or at least 65, as long as the exits aren't too dense.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

roadman65

You know before the national 55 north Jersey was only 60 on many 65 mph roads, so its possible with the demands of our fast paced society that we could easily see 70 in the Garden State.  Only 65 was on the Parkway south of Toms River and I can't say for sure if any part of the Turnpike was even above 60, but my dad claims south of Bordentown the speed limit was 65 mph.  My memory is vague but I want to say I saw all the neon speed limit signs say 60 in all locations, but that was so long ago.  The Parkway on the other hand I know was 60 in Clark where I grew up as I remember when the law took effect the then NJDOT just covered up the 60 with 55 instead of replacing the whole sign.

Sheryl Crowe

mariethefoxy

Quote from: Duke87 on August 02, 2017, 12:07:59 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on August 01, 2017, 09:07:08 PM

Because Long Island is physically difficult to leave, so the population there is culturally stuck in a sort of modern Plato's cave.

Most of the rest of the country has seen speed limits higher than 55 many times and doesn't think too much of them. But Long Islanders have not, and are unwilling to accept them because the world as they know it chained to the wall of their cave island does not feature them as a valid concept.

I've never seen it ever come to a vote down here. Plus most people dont do exactly 55 on the highways here anyway. Average speeds is like 70-75 on 495 and 135 and 65-70 on the parkways

stwoodbury

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on July 25, 2017, 06:58:54 PM
I would think that VT could raise their speed limit.  NY could also do it in many "Upstate" areas.  The other states are too congested.

It is interesting to note that before the 55 MPH national speed limit, the speed limit on the Atlantic City Expressway was 70 MPH.
I don't see why congestion is an issue. The Netherlands, France, and Luxembourg have 130km (80 mph) speed limits on interstate equivalent roads,and  Belgium has mostly 120 km (75mph) limits;  those are some of the most densely populated countries on earth.  The UK has 70 mph limits, even the heavily congested M25 around London. And Germany (also a very dense country by US standards) has no speed limits for a large portion of their autobahn network, and those segments that do have limits are typically 120 (75 mph) or 130 (80 mph). These roads do have significant congestion not only at rush hour but also throughout the day, especially during holidays, and obviously people slow down then, but I don't see why you have to have the almost non-existent traffic volume that Montana or Wyoming experiences to have 80 mph limits when traffic permits it.

roadman65

In Dallas US 75 within the city limits is at 70 mph.  I saw it while watching my youtube video as the 70 mph is plain clear.  Now maybe in Houston even 45 mph would be too high as traffic is mostly a standstill on IH 45 most times of the day things to population concentration and developers extending the metro Houston area to what it is now to require more autos.

However, Dallas has it in practice there at least.  So its not impossible to have it done.  Heck I do 75 on I-4 when the road was empty pre ultimate construction right in downtown Orlando.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: stwoodbury on August 04, 2017, 12:30:22 AM
Quote from: 02 Park Ave on July 25, 2017, 06:58:54 PM
I would think that VT could raise their speed limit.  NY could also do it in many "Upstate" areas.  The other states are too congested.

It is interesting to note that before the 55 MPH national speed limit, the speed limit on the Atlantic City Expressway was 70 MPH.
I don't see why congestion is an issue. The Netherlands, France, and Luxembourg have 130km (80 mph) speed limits on interstate equivalent roads,and  Belgium has mostly 120 km (75mph) limits;  those are some of the most densely populated countries on earth.  The UK has 70 mph limits, even the heavily congested M25 around London. And Germany (also a very dense country by US standards) has no speed limits for a large portion of their autobahn network, and those segments that do have limits are typically 120 (75 mph) or 130 (80 mph). These roads do have significant congestion not only at rush hour but also throughout the day, especially during holidays, and obviously people slow down then, but I don't see why you have to have the almost non-existent traffic volume that Montana or Wyoming experiences to have 80 mph limits when traffic permits it.

Simply put: The US isn't the UK, Germany, Netherlands, France, and Luxembourg.  People's opinions and ideals over here are different when it comes to speed limits. 

ixnay

The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ixnay on August 05, 2017, 08:56:05 AM
Quote from: ekt8750 on July 26, 2017, 11:50:37 AMI-95 (outside of Wilmington) ... should be 70 MPH.

How about 95 through Wilmington?

ixnay

There was once an old sign on 95 north of Wilmington where a 5 was posted over a 0, signifying the speed limit was *increased* from 50 to 55 on 95 in the Wilmington area!

You may be able to get 60 in some areas, especially on the viaduct south of Wilmington.  North of Wilmington, there's actually some surprisingly sharp curves.  I don't foresee them ever raising that speed limit.

ekt8750

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 05, 2017, 09:05:03 AM
Quote from: ekt8750 on July 26, 2017, 11:50:37 AMI-95 (outside of Wilmington) ... should be 70 MPH.

ixnay

There was once an old sign on 95 north of Wilmington where a 5 was posted over a 0, signifying the speed limit was *increased* from 50 to 55 on 95 in the Wilmington area!

You may be able to get 60 in some areas, especially on the viaduct south of Wilmington.  North of Wilmington, there's actually some surprisingly sharp curves.  I don't foresee them ever raising that speed limit.

Also part of the reason 495 is 65 is to encourage through traffic to use it over 95. 95 through Wilmington is an absolute parking lot during rush hours. If you're trying to pass through, it's not the best option to take.

J Route Z

How come I never see 60 mph in any of the northeastern states? There are several stretches of road that are 55 mph that could easily be raised to more, with low volume and little to no curves.

Agreed that several roads in NJ and NY can be increased to 70 mph. The northern part of the NJ Turnpike seems to have too much traffic for 70, but the southern end, I'd say from either exit 10 or 9 down to exit 1 would be better flowing at 70 mph. Nobody goes the posted speed anymore anyway. The NY Thruway can also be raised in some areas, most likely north of I-84.

hotdogPi

Quote from: J Route Z on August 05, 2017, 04:44:23 PM
How come I never see 60 mph in any of the northeastern states? There are several stretches of road that are 55 mph that could easily be raised to more, with low volume and little to no curves.

60 mph seems to be extremely rare, but MA 3 south of Boston is one segment with a speed limit of 60.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Alps

Agreed that several roads in NJ and NY can be increased to 70 mph. The northern part of the NJ Turnpike seems to have too much traffic for 70, but the southern end, I'd say from either exit 10 or 9 down to exit 1 would be better flowing at 70 mph. Nobody goes the posted speed anymore anyway. The NY Thruway can also be raised in some areas, most likely north of I-84.
In NJ, 65 was only authorized on certain freeway segments, and everything else was still capped at 55. There was therefore never an opportunity to post 60.

jp the roadgeek

I was corrected when I brought this up myself.  MA 3 is 60 MPH on a stretch between Sagamore and Braintree.  I haven't seen it myself, but I saw a sign in GSV.  Personally, I haven't seen one otherwise north and east of Maryland (there's a stretch on I-83 near Hunt Valley that is 60 MPH.  I can think of a few stretches in CT where 60 would be appropriate: I-84 between Exits 25A and 33, and between 36 and 41, CT 25 north from the CT 8 split, CT 8 between the 25 split and Naugatuck, US 7 north of I-84, and the Wilbur Cross Parkway south of the I-91 split to the Sikorsky Bridge.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on August 05, 2017, 04:51:59 PM

In NJ, 65 was only authorized on certain freeway segments, and everything else was still capped at 55. There was therefore never an opportunity to post 60.

The AC Expressway did have a 60 mph construction limit posted in a construction zone near Exit 41.  That's the only time one has been offically been posted on the state.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 05, 2017, 04:53:52 PM

I was corrected when I brought this up myself.  MA 3 is 60 MPH on a stretch between Sagamore and Braintree.  I haven't seen it myself, but I saw a sign in GSV.  Personally, I haven't seen one otherwise north and east of Maryland (there's a stretch on I-83 near Hunt Valley that is 60 MPH.  I can think of a few stretches in CT where 60 would be appropriate: I-84 between Exits 25A and 33, and between 36 and 41, CT 25 north from the CT 8 split, CT 8 between the 25 split and Naugatuck, US 7 north of I-84, and the Wilbur Cross Parkway south of the I-91 split to the Sikorsky Bridge.
Most states do 10 mph intervals.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ixnay

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 05, 2017, 09:05:03 AM

ixnay

I meant what *should* 95's speed limit be through Wilmington city?

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

shadyjay

How come I never see 60 mph in any of the northeastern states?

A few years ago when Maine rose the speed limits on I-95 south of Bangor, everything went up by 5 MPH.  So what was 65 MPH is now 70 MPH (except Waterville and Augusta) and what was 55 MPH is now 60 MPH, including through Portland.  Some of I-395 from I-95 eastward is 60 MPH, before it goes up to 65 MPH, then ends at 1A. 

But you're correct, elsewhere, 60 mph is quite elusive (except the aforemtioned Route 3). 

And no... the Wilbur Cross shouldn't be anything higher than 55, despite the fact that noone goes that speed. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.