News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

ios or android?

Started by Roadgeekteen, July 27, 2017, 05:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one?

ios
10 (32.3%)
Android
21 (67.7%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheStretchofFreeways

Max Rockatansky

Whatever I get for free.  I ended up with an iPhone SE with a 120GB card photos...so iOS.  I actually bothered to get a couple aps and sign up for an iTunes account for the first time.  I managed without a cell phone up to 2009, really it was work that instigated getting one.

Otto Yamamoto

Sanctimoniously

I currently use iOS, iPhone 7 Plus. Before last year I had only used Android. I see the benefits and drawbacks to both, both are great platforms.
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

hbelkins

They each have their pros and cons. I have used both and see the positives and negatives in each. Personally, I own iDevices because I'm pretty heavily invested in iOS apps. Plus, that's what my employer uses and I have access to apps on those devices since we use our own Apple IDs on them.

For iOS, the biggest benefit is the user interface. I like the older iOS interfaces better than the newer ones, but it's still a simple yet elegant design (like the Mac OS when compared to Windows). Biggest drawbacks are lack of extra storage capability and the necessity to jailbreak to install apps not approved by Apple or the phone carriers for the iTunes stores. (I've found that even a lot of Google apps are better on the iDevice than they are Android).

For Android, you have a choice of manufacturers for devices. You're not limited to apps on the Google Play Store; you can install apps directly from the developer if you so choose. Plus you can add storage through card slots, which is something Apple doesn't allow. I wouldn't worry so much about my iPod Classic going bad if I could stick a SD card in my iPod Touch and expand its memory.

Plus, I find the Android user interface a bit clunky. For awhile, I was using an Android for my work phone and an iPhone for my personal phone. I much preferred the iPhone for ease of use.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 27, 2017, 10:05:39 PM
Whatever I get for free.  I ended up with an iPhone SE with a 120GB card photos...so iOS.  I actually bothered to get a couple aps and sign up for an iTunes account for the first time.  I managed without a cell phone up to 2009, really it was work that instigated getting one.
You get phones for free?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 28, 2017, 09:05:46 PM
You get phones for free?

Bottom of the barrel phones for work usage that I end up just forwarding calls from.

hbelkins

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 28, 2017, 09:05:46 PM
You get phones for free?

Lots of people do. Through a federal program that got called "Obamaphones" even though the program was in place before he went into office.

SignGeek101

Android. Never a fan of Apple for anything personally. My current phone is 3 years old. When I replace it (don't know when), it will likely be a Pixel or Samsung Galaxy.

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on July 28, 2017, 03:18:23 PM
For iOS, the biggest benefit is the user interface. I like the older iOS interfaces better than the newer ones, but it's still a simple yet elegant design (like the Mac OS when compared to Windows).

Oh, the user interface looks nice. And it's simple to use–so long as what you want to do is 1) anticipated by the Apple devs and 2) you're going about it the way Apple thinks you should. If you find yourself trying to do something that is not the way Apple wants you to do it, you will absolutely play hell trying to get it done.

For instance, I had a drawing a friend did downloaded to my iPad (which I only have because I won it in a contest; when it needs to be replaced I will not get a new iPad) and I wanted to set it as the home screen. Simple so far. The problem arose because the drawing was not intended as an iPad background and was not the same aspect ratio. iOS happily accepted it and automatically cropped the top and the bottom off for me.

...Except that I wanted the top part of the picture (where the character's head was) to be the part that was displayed. No matter what I did iOS resolutely would not accept that I knew better what part of the picture needed to be displayed than it did.

I finally had to take a screenshot of the damned picture in the image viewer and set that as the desktop background. A horrific kludge necessary to solve a problem that Windows 95 had a built-in solution for.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 29, 2017, 06:56:32 AM
For iOS, the biggest benefit is the user interface. I like the older iOS interfaces better than the newer ones, but it's still a simple yet elegant design (like the Mac OS when compared to Windows).

Oh, the user interface looks nice. And it's simple to use–so long as what you want to do is 1) anticipated by the Apple devs and 2) you're going about it the way Apple thinks you should. If you find yourself trying to do something that is not the way Apple wants you to do it, you will absolutely play hell trying to get it done.

For instance, I had a drawing a friend did downloaded to my iPad (which I only have because I won it in a contest; when it needs to be replaced I will not get a new iPad) and I wanted to set it as the home screen. Simple so far. The problem arose because the drawing was not intended as an iPad background and was not the same aspect ratio. iOS happily accepted it and automatically cropped the top and the bottom off for me.

...Except that I wanted the top part of the picture (where the character's head was) to be the part that was displayed. No matter what I did iOS resolutely would not accept that I knew better what part of the picture needed to be displayed than it did.

I finally had to take a screenshot of the damned picture in the image viewer and set that as the desktop background. A horrific kludge necessary to solve a problem that Windows 95 had a built-in solution for.

You're comparing a tablet to a computer. On my laptop (which is a MacBook Pro), I can just duplicate the file and crop the copy.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Otto Yamamoto

They each have their pros and cons. I have used both and see the positives and negatives in each. Personally, I own iDevices because I'm pretty heavily invested in iOS apps. Plus, that's what my employer uses and I have access to apps on those devices since we use our own Apple IDs on them.

For iOS, the biggest benefit is the user interface. I like the older iOS interfaces better than the newer ones, but it's still a simple yet elegant design (like the Mac OS when compared to Windows). Biggest drawbacks are lack of extra storage capability and the necessity to jailbreak to install apps not approved by Apple or the phone carriers for the iTunes stores. (I've found that even a lot of Google apps are better on the iDevice than they are Android).

For Android, you have a choice of manufacturers for devices. You're not limited to apps on the Google Play Store; you can install apps directly from the developer if you so choose. Plus you can add storage through card slots, which is something Apple doesn't allow. I wouldn't worry so much about my iPod Classic going bad if I could stick a SD card in my iPod Touch and expand its memory.

Plus, I find the Android user interface a bit clunky. For awhile, I was using an Android for my work phone and an iPhone for my personal phone. I much preferred the iPhone for ease of use.
Let's not forget that you can run Android on any windows machine, Android on any x64 machine, and Chromebooks can run Android apps.

STV100-2

Otto Yamamoto

President Trump uses an (old) android

STV100-2

Nanis

Map of state roads I have taken pictures for the signs for can be seen here (although four routes ave not been added yet because of their lengths.):
https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/us_route_map/s7vYO7rC80

7/8

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 29, 2017, 06:56:32 AM

And then there's that stupid translucent bar on the bottom of the home page, which really ruins any wallpaper :pan:. I won my iPad mini in a contest (what a cool coincidence), and after using it for 5 years, I decided to buy a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2. My brother showed me the NovaLauncher app, which lets you have no icons on the home page (or translucent bars!), and you can simply swipe different directions to launch apps. Now my wallpapers finally look great!

hbelkins

Quote from: 7/8 on July 29, 2017, 11:43:51 AMNow my wallpapers finally look great!

If the appearance of your wallpaper is what you use to judge the performance of your device, I would humbly suggest that your priorities are out of whack.  :bigass:

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on July 29, 2017, 08:18:18 AM
Let's not forget that you can run Android on any windows machine, Android on any x64 machine, and Chromebooks can run Android apps.

There's supposed to be an app (Blue Stacks, I think) that allows you to run Android apps on the Mac, but I've never been able to get it to work. Which stinks, because I absolutely hate using phone-only apps like Kik. I much preferred Yahoo Messenger, which would run on both computer and mobile platforms, but has basically been rendered inoperable. Call me old-fashioned, but given the choice between using a computer and a mobile device, I'll choose the computer. It boggles my mind why Kik has become so popular while Yahoo Messenger is basically dead and AOL/AIM Messenger is on life support.

7/8

Quote from: hbelkins on July 29, 2017, 01:08:01 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on July 29, 2017, 11:43:51 AMNow my wallpapers finally look great!

If the appearance of your wallpaper is what you use to judge the performance of your device, I would humbly suggest that your priorities are out of whack.  :bigass:

The simple fact is that both systems are capable of doing what I want, which for my tablet is browsing the internet and using the Google Maps app. So the fact that Apple can't add an option in the settings to get rid of that bar on the home screen really does matter to me.

I've also noticed a few other benefits with my Android tablet. On imgur, I can click the blue "copy" buttons to get image links (on Apple, I had to highlight text and click copy). Also, the iPad seemed incapable of highlighting the entire bbcode link on imgur, so I had to copy the direct link and use the image tags on AARoads. This added more work for every photo I shared. Also, my new tablet lets me use control functions (ex: control V to paste), which I find easier than Apple's paste method (where you have to hold down on the screen for the paste option to pop up).

I know these are all small things, but since both systems are capable of doing most of the stuff I care about, the small things matter. :)

1995hoo

I use iOS primarily because back in 2011 when I was looking to get a phone that would handle e-mail, it was at the time when the iPhone first appeared on Verizon. I went to a Verizon Wireless store and played with various devices and simply liked the iPhone better than the Android devices I tried, so that's what I got and I've stuck with it because I've found no reason to change and because I like the integration between the various iOS devices I have (and an Apple TV device my brother-in-law gave us one Christmas). I don't have a Mac, though, primarily due to cost. Now that the Macs run all the PC software, there's not a lot of reason not to get one other than the high price, but that's a pretty significant reason. (Well, another reason would be if you like to tinker with the insides of your PC, but I'm past that stage of my life.)

I will say it's maddening when something goes wrong with an iOS device like Thursday night when I was trying to install the OS update on my iPad. Thank God I always back up the device first because it failed to install four times and eventually told me I had to restore the backup (and, oddly, when it did that, it also installed the new iOS version successfully)....two hours wasted. But I suppose that sort of thing can happen with any device. I had a far worse experience in early 2016 when Windows 10 completely bricked my PC and I had to buy a new boot drive and a new copy of Windows 7 to get it working again.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bulldog1979

iOS. I've been using Apple products since the 1980s, staring with Apple IIe and IIc computers before transitioning to Macs in the 1990s. I currently use a MacBook Pro from 2009, an iPhone 6S, an iPad 4, an Apple Watch Series 2, and I use Apple CarPlay in my 2017 Chevy Cruze.

Darkchylde

Android. Even if I could afford something running iOS, I don't want to be stuck in Apple's walled garden.

JJBers

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 27, 2017, 05:06:53 PM
?
Why are you doing so many polls?
Are you trying to gather the forum's demographics
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: JJBers on July 30, 2017, 12:21:01 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 27, 2017, 05:06:53 PM
?
Why are you doing so many polls?
Are you trying to gather the forum's demographics
He's a copper

STV100-2

JKRhodes

ios. I had a Samsung Galaxy s6 for just over a year. The fingerprint ID never worked right, and the ability to quickly close apps such as iheartradio just isn't there.

My wife also has an iPhone, so in instances where I'm away from her and the kid for a while, the Facetime app is easy to open and intuitive to run. When we're together and take lots of pictures and videos, it's very easy to airdrop those files to each other.

That said, there are a lot things I really like about Android that ios just doesn't offer, but for the moment, ios is winning the battle in my home.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.