News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The best of road names

Started by silverback1065, July 27, 2017, 10:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

I see plenty of worst of threads, how about a best of one for road names, what are your favorite road names?

mine:
Jamboree Road in the LA area cool name
Diamond Ave in Evansville, IN cool name
Hazel Dell Parkway in Carmel and Noblesville, IN it's a fun drive

you can also state a reason, your reason can even be simple because the name is cool!

Max Rockatansky

Some of my personal favorites:

Kaiser Pass Road:  It sounds like the road is going to start a World War and really is probably vicious enough to do so. This is located at the end of CA 168.

Total Wreck Lane:   Probably the best name for an Arizonan Mine ever and certainly a road.

Take-the-other-Road:   This is located somewhere near Moab, UT.  I thought it was funny.

El Camino Del Diablo:  The Road of the Devil which is an old Spanish Trail traversing Sonora and southern Arizona south of the Goldwater Range.

oscar

This overlaps with "Funniest Street Names", and I'll stick with what I said there. So this thread can focus on best non-funny road names.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

1995hoo

Saw this last week in southern Florida (I think Davie, but I have trouble figuring out the area names as we drive around there). Nicely done by the street-naming folks.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CNGL-Leudimin

North Hitler Street in Kimmell, IN. Probably not the best, but somehow has managed to survive to this day. I suspect it's because the street is not named after that Hitler, but rather after one of the original settlers of the area.

I grin when I find a street with the same name as a disease, even if it's unrelated. But Andreas Rett Park in Vienna, Austria, has the same namesake as the syndrome.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

AlexandriaVA

A friend of mine grew up on a street called "The Midway" (Annandale va)

hotdogPi

Already mentioned by someone else in "Funniest", but Breakfast Hill Rd. in Greenland, NH. It has an overpass on I-95 with the street name visible, so many more people will see it than normal.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

roadman

Ruta del Fin de Mundo  (Road to the end of the world).  This road name (and a sign bearing the name) was pointed out during Top Gear's Patagonia Special.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

1995hoo

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on July 28, 2017, 09:14:09 AM
I grew up near there and my brother and I always joked that monsters lived on that street.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

There is a Blood Street off of NY 149 west of Granville.  Sounds like something out of a horror movie.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

WillWeaverRVA

After moving to Midlothian, VA, I've driven past Genuine Risk Drive a few times. I wouldn't want to live on that street. (Granted, it's in a neighborhood where most of the streets have something to do with horse racing.)
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 28, 2017, 11:01:20 AM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on July 28, 2017, 09:14:09 AM
I grew up near there and my brother and I always joked that monsters lived on that street.

First time visiting him (pre MapQuest), he really had to emphasize that there was no "st/Rd/Dr" ending to it

roadman65

Street Road in Bensalem, PA.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

LM117

Poorhouse Road near Farmville, VA. It describes my wallet. :crazy:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Max Rockatansky

Bloody Basin Road just off of I-17 and Sore Finger Road off of I-10 in Arizona.

epzik8

I saw Moot Point Lane somewhere in Caroline County, Maryland.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

JoePCool14

Somewhere in Delaware, I came across Arrow Safety Road. Coincidentally, the guide sign indeed had an arrow on it.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

SFalcon71

Billy Ray Cyrus Highway (Kentucky, right across from Ohio)

Moorheadville Road (NE Ohio)

Vrooman Road (NE Ohio, I think it's just fun to say honestly)

Dh61

Good Choice Mc Road in Pershing, Nevada. Very encouraging road!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.