News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

most "dangerous" city you've been to?

Started by CapeCodder, August 03, 2017, 01:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 18, 2017, 12:57:13 AM
North Philly and West Philly (west of 40th St)

Baltimore west of the Inner Harbor and the near north side

NYC has rough parts, but there's other parts I've felt safe.  Midtown and the Upper East Side are safe, as is Greenwich Village, Williamsburg, and Park Slope.  Parts of Upper Manhattan, Queens (along the 7), and the South Bronx are kind of rough.

As far as Hartford, the North End and Frog Hollow are kind of rough.  I had a couple of great aunts who lived in the southwestern portion of the city and it was pretty safe.  Bridgeport is overall pretty rough, as are parts of Waterbury and New Haven.
O nose, I'm in a 'rough' part of NYC

STV100-2

CapeCodder

Quote from: roadguy2 on August 18, 2017, 12:40:49 AM
Quote from: JJBers on August 18, 2017, 12:25:45 AM
If this is just the worst city I've been in...than the winner is Hartford...
For experiences, NYC, where I saw a homeless take pizza out of the trash.

In NYC, I saw a homeless man throw his cigarette on the ground when he was done with it, and then another homeless man picked it up and started smoking it.

That happens here in Hyannis all the time.

cpzilliacus

In the U.S., probably Baltimore (a city I know well, though I have never resided there).

Outside the U.S., probably Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico, just across the border from San Diego.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on August 04, 2017, 06:13:26 PM
As told in song and legend, it's annoying the stereotype lingers.
This is true. Likewise, with places like Jamaica and Hollis. Most of my family have never been pleased with the fact that I frequently go to Jamaica to catch trains, subways, or even just walk around the community, but they know I go there and walk away without a scratch. When I went to Hollis to get some pics of the LIRR station there, I got a cell phone call from my mother, and I lied and told her I was in Jamaica. I didn't want my relatives to freak out over the phone before I could get a shot of the station.

Another time I snapped some pics of Farmingdale LIRR station, and I had a bitch of a time trying to catch a bus. Either way, I ended up catching one at the Rosa Parks terminal in Hempstead, and when I told my aunt and uncle I was in Hempstead, my aunt almost blew her top.

Maybe someday if the opportunity comes up, I'll tell them I'm in Camden, New Jersey just to see how they'd react.

Plutonic Panda

Oddly enough, I've been to many of the cities in the U.S. listed except for the Northeast ones, and I've only been in one situation where I felt unsafe and it was in a suburb of my hometown(OKC). The place was Del City and I won't go into detail, but I didn't realize how bad some cities are around in Oklahoma until I visited that place.

allniter89

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 20, 2017, 11:19:04 PM
In the U.S., probably Baltimore (a city I know well, though I have never resided there).

Outside the U.S., probably Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico, just across the border from San Diego.

Likewise Nuevo Laredo, Mexico across the border from Laredo, TX is extremely dangerous. Myself & 6 trucking buddies went across the border during the day, we were warned by the US Border Patrol to be "very,very careful after dark". We went into a cantina for a drink & we were treated very well. After a few drinks it seemed the senoritas were trying to separate us from our group of friends probably to roll us our designated driver said so we stumbled back across the border without getting "any". The next morning we all were severely hungover thinking they had slipped us a mickey
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

US71

Little Rock , murder capital of Arkansas ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

CapeCodder

I currently live on Cape Cod, more specifically the Village of Hyannis. Hyannis has gotten really bad in the last decade or so. I find it amusing to myself that the tourists are oblivious to the fact that this is ground zero for heroin. Gunshots ring out at night in some neighborhoods. The homeless are ever increasing, mostly because rents here are so fucking sky high and you can't get ahead. The winter time is when it gets really bad. Hell, the Dept. of Transitional Assistance office here has armored guards. This isn't the Hyannis I remember from when I was younger. Back then, Hyannis was a quiet village. Now it's like a city and all the city problems are finding their way here.

-We have gangs now when there weren't any.
-Four overdoses in one night last week.
-I think I read somewhere that we have the second highest amount of DCF cases in the state.

Desert Man

These are the absolute worst places to live in California, they're not inner-cities or largely Black and/or Latino communities, they are "redneck" towns way out in the country(side).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL6NS_9J4dw

Here's more: "white trash" (hey, there's a difference) grounds. I can name Yucca valley and 29 Palms CA in the Mojave Desert, but let's politely refer them as "blue collar folk".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKz2Dndo1SA
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Desert Man

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 20, 2017, 11:19:04 PM

The US Embassy of Mexico has issued a travel warning for the Baja California and Yucatan peninsulas due to drug cartel violence. I don't plan to visit Mexicali on the border soon, so I'm not really worried. Not surprisingly, the Imperial valley or county is the worst place to live in CA - largely agricultural, over 100 miles from any CA major city (San Diego) and very hot in the summer (desert climate).   
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

D-Dey65

Quote from: roadguy2 on August 18, 2017, 12:40:49 AM
Quote from: JJBers on August 18, 2017, 12:25:45 AM
If this is just the worst city I've been in...than the winner is Hartford...
For experiences, NYC, where I saw a homeless take pizza out of the trash.

In NYC, I saw a homeless man throw his cigarette on the ground when he was done with it, and then another homeless man picked it up and started smoking it.
I've seen homeless people camping out at the Bank of America on the southeast corner of Morrison Avenue and Westchester Avenue in Soundview in the Bronx. I've also seen them camping out at the old bathrooms across 125th Street from the Metro-North station there. In Eastchester some Afro-American wino approached me and thought I was a DJ he knew about from Chicago, and when I told him I wasn't, he walked away and called the DJ a dirty Jew. I've encountered panhandlers, semi-legal vendors, and other freaky types on the subway, the parks and other places, and I don't feel traumatized by the experience in the slightest.

hbelkins

I was watching an old "Law & Order" the other night that started out with a NYC squeegee man doing his thing.

Is that still a problem in NYC?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: hbelkins on September 03, 2017, 02:25:53 PM
I was watching an old "Law & Order" the other night that started out with a NYC squeegee man doing his thing.

That must've been very old. That's not been a problem for many years.

STV100-2

bing101

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/las-vegas-shooting-stephen-paddock-mandalay-bay-live-updates/

Well there's a mass shooting in Paradise, NV where 58 people are declared dead. Expect the crime stats for Nevada to come into play though.

bing101

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

corco

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on August 03, 2017, 11:40:38 PM
I would say Bucharest Romania.  There are packs of wild dogs that run the streets.  The hotel staff would not let me walk out at night.  I thought they were just trying to get a kickback with trying to arrange a car for me but man they were right that I would not want to walk around at night.

I think it's gotten a lot better - I was there last year and had no issues walking around at night- it was actually a pretty lively city, though this was in the old town.
--

I'd echo the Tucson/South Tucson sentiment having lived in Tucson. Not sure if it was the having my car stolen, bike stolen, or the people below me getting broken into part that did it for me. I lived at Fort Lowell and Country Club and that area was bad. Eventually moved up to Oro Valley (worked at a resort up there anyway, despite being a student at U. Arizona), and that was much better.

briantroutman

Quote from: hbelkins on September 03, 2017, 02:25:53 PM

Maybe not in New York, but I saw one working at Conway and Light Streets in Baltimore a few weeks ago.

bing101

Here is an update

http://abc7.com/news/off-duty-officers-at-las-vegas-music-festival-went-into-line-of-fire-officers-rep/2480110/

http://abc7.com/southern-california-victims-in-las-vegas-mass-shooting/2478440/

Off Duty Police officers from Southern California have been recorded as victims due to the mass shooting in Vegas.

Also Cirque Du Soleil and Blue Man Group have Cancelled shows in Vegas until further notice.

http://www.ktnv.com/news/cirque-du-soleil-cancels-shows-after-mass-shooting

http://www.ktnv.com/news/national/will-mass-shooting-lead-to-upgrades-in-las-vegas-hotel-security-1

Now Hotel Security on the Las Vegas Strip aka Paradise Strip is under debate at this time.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bing101

http://www.ktnv.com/news/las-vegas-shooting/las-vegas-police-officer-and-coach-remembered-after-mass-shooting

Sadly you know that a city is dangerous when even an off-duty police officer from Las Vegas is also listed as the victim of the deadliest mass shooting in Nevada history.

Brandon

Quote from: bing101 on October 03, 2017, 07:09:04 AM
http://www.ktnv.com/news/las-vegas-shooting/las-vegas-police-officer-and-coach-remembered-after-mass-shooting

Sadly you know that a city is dangerous when even an off-duty police officer from Las Vegas is also listed as the victim of the deadliest mass shooting in Nevada history.

So a single, isolated mass shooting suddenly makes a place less safe than a place where the shootings and killings go on day in and day out, like Chicago?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

bing101

Quote from: Brandon on October 03, 2017, 07:13:23 AM

So a single, isolated mass shooting suddenly makes a place less safe than a place where the shootings and killings go on day in and day out, like Chicago?

You're right on this though. Wow I do remember though that Chicago had a yearly crime rate that's equal to 5-6 Las Vegas Mass shootings in one year though.

kphoger

For me, I'd say Ciudad Juárez.  Granted, I was there back before Mexico started its war on the cartels, but it was still known as a rough city.  To be specific, it was December 2001, and my dad and I were on our way back from the Copper Canyon.  As we were checking into our hotel, I realized I had left a shoulder bag on the taxi seat  So, as my dad settled into our room, the desk clerk called another cab to take me back to the bus station.  Half certain I'd get swindled or robbed, I asked the taxi drivers around if any of them had heard about my lost bag.  A few of them perked up and said yes, my driver had mentioned it, they had seen it, and I should check with security.  So I went inside and found a security guard.  He then led me up an outdoor stairwell to their offices.  As we were headed upstairs, I thought to myself.... I'm an American in Juárez after dark, and I'm being led by an armed man up a deserted staircase, hmmmmm.......  All was well, though.  My bag was locked in a cabinet, and I had to come back the next morning to collect it, because the man with the key had gone home for the evening.  Everybody I dealt with in this "dangerous city" was friendly and eager to help.

On Chicago's west side, I once had some wannabe hoodlums throw rocks at me while I was walking down the sidewalk, apparently just for being white.  It wasn't exactly the best part of town, though.  I also once found myself under the L tracks at California and Lake after dark one evening, with a drunk guy trying to make a drug deal.  It was my landlord (I was renting a room for cash at the time), we had gone into the city together because I knew the public transit system and he didn't, he had gotten drunk at a hotel bar, we got kicked out, he was flashing money around on the L heading back, asked a big black guy if he had drugs for sale, and the next thing I knew the two of them were standing on the platform at California.  I felt responsible for getting him home, so I got off too.  We headed down to the street, they talked price, my landlord gave him $100, the guy flagged down a friend who was driving by, and then he disappeared.  $100 lighter and no drugs in hand, my landlord and I got back on the train and went home.  I never really thought of Chicago as particularly dangerous, but it definitely has its neighborhoods.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ET21

Quote from: bing101 on October 03, 2017, 08:01:07 AM
Quote from: Brandon on October 03, 2017, 07:13:23 AM

You're right on this though. Wow I do remember though that Chicago had a yearly crime rate that's equal to 5-6 Las Vegas Mass shootings in one year though.

From two main hotspots of the south and west sides of Chicago, accounting for the majority of the #'s....
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.