News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Applebee's, IHOP parent company closing some locations

Started by golden eagle, August 10, 2017, 09:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

Not sure which locations will be affected.

As many as 160 Applebee's and IHOP locations to close - USA TODAY
https://apple.news/AVaFYf1hlS5mqjQR0QWAp9A

Otto Yamamoto

Applebee's really isn't someplace I'd go by choice. My MIL loves it, but she's an idiot. The food is poor, and the servings are hardly enough for a bird. I get better cheaper in a real diner.

STV100-2

jp the roadgeek

I was never really a fan of Applebee's either.  Ate at one when it was the only casual dining restaurant in the area (Tilton, NH).  Atmosphere was ok (kind of quiet on the night that I went), service was fine, but the food wasn't that great.  I prefer Friday's or Chili's to it.  As far as IHOP, I haven't eaten in one in about 4 years when I went there after a movie on a date.  There are much better local establishments for breakfast in my area, and when I passed by the IHOP in my town today, it was pretty much empty (as it was in the latter days of it being Ruby Tuesday's).
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

JJBers

I'm fine with Applebee's, but I like other places better, and most time, they're cheaper.
I've never been to a IHOP, owing to the fact there are none for about 30 miles from where I live.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

spooky

My dad recently said to me that he doesn't like Applebees because they are always changing the menu - you find something you like, then the next time you go it isn't on the menu any more.

Personally I avoid Applebees due to the number of times I've gotten sick after eating there.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: spooky on August 11, 2017, 09:05:41 AM
Personally I avoid Applebees due to the number of times I've gotten sick after eating there.

I eat out way more than I should.  I usually never have an issue wherever I go.  Applebees was the one place where I always got sick afterwards though.  I didn't go back for years.   More recently, I went because of a group outing, and managed to survive this time!

hotdogPi

I sometimes go to iHop, but almost never to Applebee's. Applebee's puts sugary goo in all their vegetables, which ruins both the taste and the good nutrition of the vegetables.

I will say that Denny's is far cheaper than iHop.

Interestingly, I know a place where both are visible from the same location. I-495 at Exit 38, which is MA 38.

It's interesting that iHop owns Applebee's, which is the inverse of Apple making the iPod, iPhone, iPad, iParty, iCarly, iMax, etc.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1 on August 11, 2017, 09:11:58 AM
I sometimes go to iHop, but almost never to Applebee's. Applebee's puts sugary goo in all their vegetables, which ruins both the taste and the good nutrition of the vegetables.

Interestingly, I know a place where both are visible from the same location. I-495 at Exit 38, which is MA 38.

It's interesting that iHop owns Applebee's, which is the inverse of Apple making the iPod, iPhone, iPad, iParty, iCarly, iMax, etc.

You know it's IHOP, not iHop, right? 

SP Cook

Applebee's  - Not my favorite.  Most of the food seems to be microwaved or otherwise pre-fabed.  Many other choices in the same segment that a better.  They do change the menu too often.   Too many gimmick items. 

IHOP - The market segment for sit-down breakfast is getting smaller each day.  It is not a bad choice, all day, really, but that segment, stuck between fast-food and a table service place with alcohol is really a tiny niche.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 11, 2017, 09:27:29 AM

Yes. It was kind of a joke.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Sctvhound

Applebee's has lost a lot of their market, especially in the last decade. Three of their locations here have closed, two replaced by local restaurants. The one on US 17 in Mt. Pleasant was replaced by a barbecue place, and the one on James Island was replaced by a local place called The Screen Door. The franchisee here is not very good. None of the locations have a high rating on rating services.

There are several local chains (Fatz Cafe, the Kickin' Chicken, King Street Grille), which have better food and atmospheres than what you can get at Applebee's. IHOP still has a market here, with a new location opened a couple years ago, but it's out of the way from the main highway. It's mostly a breakfast place, with very low numbers at dinner.

Where Applebee's does the best is in rural and smaller population areas. We went in the one in Marietta, OH last week and it was packed. It had very good food and still had all the local stuff on the wall. One problem was the restaurant didn't have ONE HDTV. All the TVs were on analog cable. In 2017, that's almost unfathomable for a large bar/restaurant not to have HDTV.

sparker

In my immediate area we were down to 1 Applebees (in the "Plant" shopping center) and 1 IHOP (at the corner of Almaden and Capitol expressways); as of 4 months ago the IHOP is now a Denny's, but as of yesterday the Applebees is still hanging in there.  Never see too many cars in that section of the center's parking lot adjacent to the restaurant; wouldn't be a bit surprised if it was on the closing list.  Haven't been in one for at least 5 years and counting; neither my GF nor myself particularly care for its offerings -- never mind that there's a Famous Dave's right next door, and she likes their BBQ sauce, although I have doubts (usually expressed!) about how real any BBQ chain actually is (with the notable exception of Buster's in Portland, my patronization of which, when I was residing there, predates our relationship!).  Applebees -- your (presumed) passing will not be mourned in these quarters!

ColossalBlocks

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

realjd

If Applebees is closing a ton of locations, everyone needs to be prepared for the microwave market to completely collapse. With that many industrial grade used microwaves hitting the market all at once, prices are going to plummet.

cjk374

I don't care for Applebee's either. No matter how many thousand times they change their menu, nothing ever grabs my attention. Our location, in Ruston, LA, stays busy...but I blame the fact that there are 2 colleges in the area. Their food will make a turd...but that's really all I can say about it.

The closest IHOP is 25 miles away in West Monroe. They stay very busy most of the times I have gone by there. Their food is ok (it, too, will make a turd), but I strongly prefer Waffle House or Huddle House any day.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hbelkins

I'm not a huge Applebee's fan. I don't often eat at that type of restaurant but I prefer Chili's because their chicken strips are awesome.

The comments about the menu changing often are spot-on. Several years ago Scott Kozel hosted a Richmond, Va. meet and lunch was at Applebee's. They had a pretty tasty burger, but the next time I went to an Applebee's, a few years later, it was off the menu.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

epzik8

If IHOP here in Bel Air, Maryland closes I won't be happy. Located at U.S. Route 1 Business and Route 24, it's actually a repurposed Ruby Tuesday, which then became a seafood place, "Marlin and Ray's", before being handed to IHOP.

We also have Applebee's at Route 22 and Moores Mill to the east of downtown Bel Air. I like that particular one and would hate to see it go.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

roadman

I went to an Applebees once, in Greenfield MA, coming back from a field meeting.  Forgot exactly what I ordered, but I remember it wasn't particularly good and I felt it was misrepresented in the menu.  Have never gone back since.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Brian556

I don't understand why so many people dislike Applebee's. I ate there regularly, and though it was pretty good.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: epzik8 on August 12, 2017, 09:30:53 PM
We also have Applebee's at Route 22 and Moores Mill to the east of downtown Bel Air. I like that particular one and would hate to see it go.

There's an Applebee's on MD-178 (Generals Highway) north of MD-450 (West Street) on a pad site at Annapolis Mall in Anne Arundel County that's always been  pretty good.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

realjd

Quote from: Brian556 on August 12, 2017, 10:40:51 PM
I don't understand why so many people dislike Applebee's. I ate there regularly, and though it was pretty good.

Many of the mass market American chain restaurants are guilty of this, but Applebees leads the pack. Almost everything you order is precooked, frozen, and reheated to order in a microwave. You're literally eating shit from the frozen appetizer section of your local supermarket and paying restaurant prices for it.

7/8

I think Applebee's is decent too.

Brandon

Quote from: 7/8 on August 13, 2017, 10:19:15 AM

I think Applebee's is decent too.

Applebee's isn't bad, but I find it can vary by restaurant.  Some are much better run than others.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

bugo

Those pesky millennials, killing everything that the boomers hold sacred. Golf, Applebee's, paper napkins, diamonds. Good riddance. I'm an Xer but I don't care for most of the things they're supposedly "killing" in all these articles written by bitter boomers. I had a hamburger at Applebee's in 2000 and remember it being quite good, but it's hard to fuck up a hamburger with A1 sauce.

jwolfer

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 11, 2017, 09:27:29 AM

Did apple create the interstate highway system too?. i95.. i10 maybe so

LGMS428

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.