AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I-69 Ohio River Bridge  (Read 179027 times)

lordsutch

• Last Login: Today at 12:10:18 AM
Re: I-69 Ohio River Bridge
« Reply #700 on: April 19, 2017, 11:47:59 PM »

It's pretty explicitly stated in the study document that the plan is to remove the US 41 bridges when the new span is completed, given the effort to ensure there's a connection to US 41 near the river.

Presumably that also gives them the option of delaying the freeway connection from the new bridge to the Pennyrile if necessary for funding reasons, while allowing the existing bridges to be retired, saving on future maintenance.

jnewkirk77

• Last Login: April 20, 2017, 12:47:52 AM
« Reply #701 on: April 20, 2017, 12:47:52 AM »

i didn't realize the west corridor was being considered.  I like the east corridor, but i doubt this will be picked, it will require another bridge over the green river, plus henderson would likely get pissed.

As I recall, most of the Henderson interests wanted the east corridor because it took through traffic off the strip and gave them a new "front door" using KY 351/Zion Rd/2nd St.  But from what I see, there's no proposed interchange at 351 with either the Central 2 or East corridors.

This article (http://www.thegleaner.com/story/news/2017/03/31/business-booming-along-41-strip/96129876/) seems to indicate that the less foot-dragging that goes on, the better ... Henderson's growth isn't going to wait.

silverback1065

• Last Login: May 26, 2017, 11:42:03 PM
« Reply #702 on: April 20, 2017, 07:31:28 AM »

It's pretty explicitly stated in the study document that the plan is to remove the US 41 bridges when the new span is completed, given the effort to ensure there's a connection to US 41 near the river.

Presumably that also gives them the option of delaying the freeway connection from the new bridge to the Pennyrile if necessary for funding reasons, while allowing the existing bridges to be retired, saving on future maintenance.

they're not going to remove both bridges

Life in Paradise

• Last Login: May 26, 2017, 11:01:37 AM
« Reply #703 on: April 20, 2017, 08:22:33 AM »

They are currently in the process of redecking the bridges to increase their lifespan by 25 years.  I could see them perhaps going from twin bridges to focusing on one bridge (the newer one), since that is only 50 years old (compared to 75), and actually has a better approach on the Indiana side.  The older bridge has a somewhat sharp turn left going north as it is going around Ellis Park.  There really needs to be a second crossing over the Ohio in the Evansville/Henderson metro in case of a bad accident.  There are two near Owensboro with much less traffic through that area.

Captain Jack

• Last Login: May 26, 2017, 09:09:48 AM
« Reply #704 on: April 20, 2017, 10:28:03 PM »

They are currently in the process of redecking the bridges to increase their lifespan by 25 years.  I could see them perhaps going from twin bridges to focusing on one bridge (the newer one), since that is only 50 years old (compared to 75), and actually has a better approach on the Indiana side.  The older bridge has a somewhat sharp turn left going north as it is going around Ellis Park.  There really needs to be a second crossing over the Ohio in the Evansville/Henderson metro in case of a bad accident.  There are two near Owensboro with much less traffic through that area.

Actually, the northbound span is 85 years old. I agree on the second crossing, I am pretty sure this is the largest MSA on either the Ohio or Mississippi with a single crossing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.