News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Worst of Road Signs

Started by Scott5114, September 21, 2010, 04:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Post the worst, most ineptly put together pieces of crap in your state. Not just "oh, it's in Clearview", "wrong type of shield", or "it's a bubble shield" or anything like that. We're talking pure, unadulterated suck here. Stuff that makes you wonder what they were thinking. Stuff that should only result from a night of binge drinking at the sign shop. Like this!

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

WillWeaverRVA

I think this fits the bill:

What on earth happened with that Craig County (or "craig county") sign? Did elementary school kids take control of the county?
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Alex

Several of this style of sign in use.  :pan:

agentsteel53

the 301 isn't any uglier than the standard '70 spec 3dus shield.  it's a bit misshapen on the bottom, yes, but we can't all be '61 spec.

Nothing is as bad as the acorn shield, which I will not show, on general principle.  We all know what it looks like.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kurumi

This sign for CA 237 on I-880 (aaroads) fell out of the ugly tree, hit every branch, etc.

You can tell you're at a Caltrans wedding when

• all the bridesmaids have the exact same size dress
  • the bride's veil is pinned to her shoulder
  • the wedding announcement poster at the reception falls off, revealing another poster for a wedding 30 years ago
  • the invitation didn't mention the exact date, but did list the next three weddings coming up

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

US71

LA 1 gets hit with the Ugly Stick in Shreveport
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

PAHighways

At the turn of the Century, there were a rash of ugly US shields spreading across Pennsylvania with US 6, US 30, and US 322 as some of the routes affected. 

hbelkins

I've seen a US 20 version of that ugly US 6 and US 322 shield.

There also were some ugly US 22 and US 30 shields near our meeting point for the Pittsburgh national meet.

Tennessee has been known to have some ugly three-digit US shields as well.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Ian

A lot of the US 9 shields on the Garden State Parkway's BGSs look horribly misshapen:

These just don't look very good. Yes, the sign is in clearview, but thats not all thats wrong with it. The exit tab is waaaay to large (a common thing on a lot of MD's signage) and also the left BGS has slanted arrows.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

74/171FAN

@Will(Synthetic Dreamer)-  I thought the first photo you would have posted in this thread would have been one of these from Hopewell lol   :nod:

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

bugo

myosh_tino

Quote from: bugo on September 21, 2010, 03:33:23 PM

Sorry but I'm skeptical that that sign is real.  To me, it looks like someone had some fun with Photoshop.  If that's a real sign, it deserves a triple head bang...  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

bugo

Quote from: myosh_tino on September 21, 2010, 04:25:37 PM
Quote from: bugo on September 21, 2010, 03:33:23 PM

Sorry but I'm skeptical that that sign is real.  To me, it looks like someone had some fun with Photoshop.  If that's a real sign, it deserves a triple head bang...  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Nope, it's real.  It's on the Cherokee Turnpike.

Here's okroads' picture of the same sign:

If you've driven the Oklahoma turnpikes, it shouldn't surprise you.  Here's another headbangin' sign, also courtesy of okroads:

Bickendan

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 21, 2010, 11:22:38 AM
Nothing is as bad as the acorn shield, which I will not show, on general principle.  We all know what it looks like.
And here I thought you liked the old cut-out Oregon shields :(

agentsteel53

Quote from: Bickendan on September 21, 2010, 04:52:00 PM
And here I thought you liked the old cut-out Oregon shields :(

not what I meant.  the acorn shield is a US marker that pops up in Pennsylvania a lot, and Indiana on occasion.

Post Merge: September 21, 2010, 07:16:01 PM

Quote from: PAHighways on September 21, 2010, 02:43:56 PM
At the turn of the Century, there were a rash of ugly US shields spreading across Pennsylvania with US 6, US 30, and US 322 as some of the routes affected. 

yep, that is an acorn shield.

jake@aaroads.com

Bickendan

Gah, burn it! Burn it with fire!

Mergingtraffic

can we also add road signs that are just in bad condition from being old?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

agentsteel53

Quote from: doofy103 on September 21, 2010, 05:02:10 PM

no, that would be "the best of road signs".

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Quote from: doofy103 on September 21, 2010, 05:02:10 PM

I creaded a thread called "Damaged Signs" for that.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Scott5114

Yeah, this thread is for signs that were just complete shit from the start.

I'd seen that CoNceSSiONs sign before, but I never noticed the E in "Next" was a sideways M.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 21, 2010, 03:28:59 PM
@Will(Synthetic Dreamer)-  I thought the first photo you would have posted this thread in t would have been one of these from Hopewell lol   :nod:

I contemplated posting that but the SC 31 sign is worse, IMO. :P
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

ctsignguy

And here is Jake's favorite (HURK!!!!) Ohio shield..

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Alex

And a keys shield was recently replaced with this style of sign.

And of course the acid shield...

Bickendan

FL Negative 2, nice.

I'm surprised there isn't a -1 somewhere. Just think of that gut-wrenching horrible pun: Route Negative One.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.