News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Worst of Road Signs

Started by Scott5114, September 21, 2010, 04:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Quote from: tckma on July 03, 2017, 10:16:21 PM
Here's a STOP sign I saw today in a shopping center just off MD-198 in Laurel, Maryland that must have been manufactured on Opposite Day.  Does that make it a GO sign?

That looks like a STOP sign my sister made for me when I was 4 (as documented in family home movies).  She cut an octagon out of a paper plate, wrote STOP on it in red felt tip pen, mounted it on a soda straw, and dropped it into the sand on the beach.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jbnv

Quote from: Takumi on August 09, 2017, 02:22:47 PM
The new signs for the I-95/VA 144 interchange reconstruction project are in Clearview.

So? Personal preference or silly bureaucratic rules do not pure unadulterated suck make.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Brandon

Quote from: jbnv on August 09, 2017, 03:03:27 PM
The new signs for the I-95/VA 144 interchange reconstruction project are in Clearview.

So? Personal preference or silly bureaucratic rules do not pure unadulterated suck make.

Exactly.  The standard is set by CraIG COuNtY.  See below:

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 21, 2010, 04:01:21 AM
Post the worst, most ineptly put together pieces of crap in your state. Not just "oh, it's in Clearview", "wrong type of shield", or "it's a bubble shield" or anything like that. We're talking pure, unadulterated suck here. Stuff that makes you wonder what they were thinking. Stuff that should only result from a night of binge drinking at the sign shop. Like this!

This is also a gold-plated standard:

Quote from: bugo on September 21, 2010, 03:33:23 PM

Remember, it must be the absolute, pure, unadulterated suck that leaves the sign shop after a night of binge drinking (or worse) and should've been caught by quality control and, yet, somehow missed time and time again.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

amroad17

^ This sign has to be done for tomorrow.  Are the letters ready?  What do you mean we are out of capital E's and T's and small n's and i's?  Alright, just find any type of these letters needed to complete this.  We may be able to fix this later.  Maybe no one will notice.

Hey, Phil!  How about that Exit sign?  What, no arrow!?  Just get it ready without it, we'll fix it later, maybe.

A PSA brought to you by tHE OkLahoMa DepT of TRAnsPorTaTIOn.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Brandon

Quote from: amroad17 on August 10, 2017, 11:34:20 PM
^ This sign has to be done for tomorrow.  Are the letters ready?  What do you mean we are out of capital E's and T's and small n's and i's?  Alright, just find any type of these letters needed to complete this.  We may be able to fix this later.  Maybe no one will notice.

Hey, Phil!  How about that Exit sign?  What, no arrow!?  Just get it ready without it, we'll fix it later, maybe.

Oklahoma, come for the signage, stay for the...????????
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

amroad17

I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Scott5114

Quote from: Brandon on August 11, 2017, 03:45:19 PM
Quote from: amroad17 on August 10, 2017, 11:34:20 PM

Oklahoma, come for the signage, stay for the...????????

signage, because good luck making it to Dallas with these guiding the way.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

national highway 1

Found this Clearview monstrosity on the preview for H-1 on Oahu, on the AARoads Facebook Page.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

jbnv

Quote from: national highway 1 on August 19, 2017, 07:15:53 AM
Found this Clearview monstrosity on the preview for H-1 on Oahu, on the AARoads Facebook Page. <snip>

It would be just as ugly in FHWA.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

okroads

A new BGS error from I-35 in Oklahoma (photo taken 8-5-17), notice the exit tab.

DSC06654 by Eric Stuve, on Flickr

US 89

Quote from: okroads on August 19, 2017, 01:57:56 PM
A new BGS error from I-35 in Oklahoma (photo taken 8-5-17), notice the exit tab.

I have to say, I have never seen that error before. And of course it's in Oklahoma...

jakeroot

Quote from: roadguy2 on August 19, 2017, 10:24:43 AM
Quote from: jbnv on August 19, 2017, 09:41:26 AM
Quote from: national highway 1 on August 19, 2017, 07:15:53 AM
Found this Clearview monstrosity on the preview for H-1 on Oahu, on the AARoads Facebook Page. <snip>

It would be just as ugly in FHWA.

The Clearview serves to add insult to injury.

The rules for the thread very clearly state (though I'm going to paraphrase) "Clearview does not, nor may it, count against a sign, for the purposes of this thread".

I, personally, like Clearview. So it definitely doesn't count against a sign IMO.

Quillz

Truvelo

^^One can wonder if there was an intention to put a state name above 290?
Speed limits limit life

riiga

mrsman

plain

Quote from: Quillz on August 19, 2017, 02:30:32 PM

It looks almost Maryland-like sans the colors. Where's this sign anyway?
Newark born, Richmond bred

Takumi

Quote from: jbnv on August 09, 2017, 03:03:27 PM

I clicked on the wrong thread when I posted that. Meant for that to go in the Clearview thread. My apologies.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

texaskdog

Quote from: jakeroot on July 26, 2017, 05:32:20 PM
Am I the only one here who despises the NPS signs? Brown is one thing. But serif fonts...ugh.

I guess I get excited that I am going to a park!

tckma

Quote from: plain on August 20, 2017, 12:32:37 PM

I'm going to guess Massachusetts.  They have an I-290, and a boring square shape for their state route shields.  But the "290" is not big enough.

Could also be Illinois, Indiana, Wyoming, or Montana.  Other states that I-90 passes through (and therefore could have an I-290), and have a boring square shape for state highway shields.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: tckma on August 20, 2017, 06:20:18 PM

I'm going to guess Massachusetts.  They have an I-290, and a boring square shape for their state route shields.  But the "290" is not big enough.

Could also be Illinois, Indiana, Wyoming, or Montana.  Other states that I-90 passes through (and therefore could have an I-290), and have a boring square shape for state highway shields.

If they're the same signs I remember reading about a number of years ago, they're in or near Tonawanda, NY.

SidS1045

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on August 20, 2017, 06:50:30 PM
Quote from: tckma on August 20, 2017, 06:20:18 PM

If they're the same signs I remember reading about a number of years ago, they're in or near Tonawanda, NY.

Correct, on East Niagara Street near NY 425.  Here's another one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_State_Route_425#/media/File:Infamous_Tonawanda_Squares.jpg
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Brandon

Then there's the fact that "EAST" should be to the right of the shield on the main sign as well.

jakeroot

Quote from: Brandon on August 21, 2017, 05:05:04 PM

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4391/35666139963_ca51ab8056_c.jpg

Then there's the fact that "EAST" should be to the right of the shield on the main sign as well.

Perhaps one of the most common issues that I see from day to day. I think it's allowed when part of a larger message ("90 EAST TO SOUTH 5") but not as an independent message.

SectorZ

Quote from: Brandon on August 21, 2017, 05:05:04 PM

New Hampshire loves having the cardinal direction to the left of the route shield.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.