News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highways / Signs in Movies, TV Shows, and Videos

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 05:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akotchi

Speaking of Amish country, Witness (with Harrison Ford and Kelly McGillis) has scenes (including road signs) from the U.S. 30/PA 896 intersection.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

DrZoidberg

Not technically movie related, but has anybody else noticed that BGS shots are used on a lot of reality and travel shows to help show the city they're in?

A great example is Man vs. Food on Travel.  He'll travel into Pittsburgh, for example, and they just pan to a random shot of a BGS for I-279.
"By the way...I took the liberty of fertilizing your caviar."

Alex

Yes I've always noticed this. I wonder if they send out a film crew purposefully to videotape some guide signs and then choose the one that they like the best. I remember that annoying show Road Rules on MTV, and there was one scene that they shot of signage along Interstate 95 northbound in Delaware, to show the connection being made to New Jersey.

djracer201

I know some of it was an unfinished interstate... but what highways were used to shoot "Smokey and the Bandit"?

FreewayDan

The 1994 film The Chase (starring Charlie Sheen) took place in Southern California (OC, San Diego), but it was filmed in Houston.  Freeways that were  used as stand-ins for I-5 included the Sam Houston Tollway, I-45, US 290 and the Hardy Toll Road where one of the toll booths was used as a Mexican border crossing:

http://flickr.com/photos/22306412@N07/3091037132/
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

Crewdawg

The Kingdom was filmed on a unopened section of AZ loop 202. They even put up Arabic sings

DrZoidberg

No Country For Old Men looks like it uses shots of US 90 in West Texas.  Also, one scene DOES show US 90 as it approaches Del Rio.

Alex

Quote from: djracer201 on February 13, 2009, 03:31:37 PM
I know some of it was an unfinished interstate... but what highways were used to shoot "Smokey and the Bandit"?

I wrote Carter about this, here's his response:

...I-85 was acknowledged in the the closing credits, it looks like the stretch between GA 316 and I-285 somewhere or another.  Its only 3 lanes each way back then compared to the 9 or better each way, plus I recognized the old light fixtures in the median. 

In the 2nd Smokey and the Bandit movie released around 1980 or so, it features the Bandit in his Trans Am and the "Snow Man" (Cleatus Snow played by Jerry Reed) driving his rig over the Skyway Bridge in Florida...no joke while a song called "Ride Concrete Cowboy" is played, its about a 5 to 10 second segment of the old one that collapsed about the time the film was being made...

ComputerGuy

In Short Circuit:

The robot (Johnny 5) falls off the Astoria-Megler Bridge (US 101) and lands in Astoria, Oregon

AZDude

National Lampoon Vegas Vacation at the end where it shows the family driving the cars on what seems to be I-15.  If it is (which I do believe it is southbound I-15) there is a sign that shows the distance to Chicago (+1800 miles).   :-D obviously its not a real sign.

74/171FAN

Deep Impact back in the 90s has a scene showing a traffic jam on the VA 234 Manassas Bypass
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

DrZoidberg

QuoteYes I've always noticed this. I wonder if they send out a film crew purposefully to videotape some guide signs and then choose the one that they like the best. I remember that annoying show Road Rules on MTV, and there was one scene that they shot of signage along Interstate 95 northbound in Delaware, to show the connection being made to New Jersey.

I found another great example of BGS being used on television shows.  Reno 911! is always using shots of highway signs around Reno, despite the fact it's filmed in southern Cal.

Chris

QuoteDeep Impact back in the 90s has a scene showing a traffic jam on the VA 234 Manassas Bypass

I was actually wondering where this scene was shot :) The scene shows hills while the Virginia coast is rather flat. I thought it was on I-64 or something.

Scott5114

The Day After, a movie which features Kansas City being blown up by a nuclear bomb, used a section of K-10 to represent I-70 jammed with cars evacuating to Lawrence. I also distinctly remember seeing a MO-7 shield flash by during one of the scenes involving Harrisonville, MO.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

FLRoads

I always wondered what highway they used for that scene. I actually have a copy of that movie and will have to watch it again to catch the MO-7 shield...

roadfro

Chase scenes from Lethal Weapon 4 were filmed on a then-unopened section of the southern I-215 beltway in Las Vegas, NV (actually, the section is probably in Henderson).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

corco

The movie Cast Away begins and ends at the intersection of FM 1268 and FM 48 with shots of the 1268 junction signage

OracleUsr

In the movie Knowing Nicolas Cage is walking along a stretch of what looks like US or MA 3 approaching I-95.

Problem is...I didn't think US 3 came that far east, let alone to have a control city of "Logan Airport"...or...one of Logan's runways.

Plus, the BGS looks like it was done in another state.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

OracleUsr

Also, and it's been several years since I saw The Day After, but weren't the cars all pointed East towards Kansas City, and Jason Robards' car was returning back to Lawrence?  I remember this because while everyone in the opposite direction was trying to start their cars after EMP killed the ignitions (including one guy who practically stood on his accelerator), Mr. Robards was facing away as the second nuclear missile detonated, putting the telltale flash at his back?
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

PAHighways

Parts of The Road, which is to be released sometime this year, were filmed on the abandoned Turnpike near Breezewood.

ComputerGuy

Opening sequence of Rock Band: They drive on a windy desert road into a town with the Space Needle (seattle)!

The road has to be SR 10 (OLD US 10)...

mightyace

QuoteParts of The Road, which is to be released sometime this year, were filmed on the abandoned Turnpike near Breezewood.

One of the pictures on IMDB shows the mouth of either Sideling Hill or Ray's Hill Tunnel.  (I'm not familiar enough with the image to say which.)

Hopefully, this provided some needed funds to the "Pike to Hike" organization.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

PAHighways

Quote from: mightyace on March 31, 2009, 02:49:02 PMOne of the pictures on IMDB shows the mouth of either Sideling Hill or Ray's Hill Tunnel.  (I'm not familiar enough with the image to say which.)

It is the eastern portal of the Rays Hill Tunnel, which due to its short length only required a ventilation building on the western side.

florida

Illegally Yours was shot in 1988 St. Augustine, complete with the Bridge of Lions. No colored shields (weird), but there are older signals and a mph/kph sign along Bus US 1/A1A near the fort.
So many roads...so little time.

cjk374

The movie "Premenition", starring Sandra Bullock, had a scene of a gas truck exploding.  That was filmed on LA 2 northwest of Homer.  Talk about circus comes to town!! :wow:  Movie stars, film trucks, state troopers--all crowding the streets of Homer at some point during the filming, although the filming was done outside of town.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.