News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

South Carolina

Started by wriddle082, January 30, 2011, 07:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Charlotte Observer: How spending too little on SC roads costs hundreds of lives

QuoteGrayson Lee, 19, was driving to Columbia from Charleston when her car ran off Interstate 26, slamming into a tree.

QuoteLee was thrown from her Ford Mustang, dying nearly two years ago on Sept. 2, 2014, her mother Amy Lee recalled.

Quote"It was instant,"  Lee said of her daughter's death.

QuoteGrayson Lee is one of 4,534 people who died on S.C. roads since 2011.

QuoteHundreds of those deaths could have been prevented if the state spent more to make its roads safer. But the S.C. Department of Transportation says it doesn't have the money it would need to save those lives.

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jwolfer

I just traveled to Myrtle Beach.. SC state roads are in the same shape as a poor rural Florida county's roads.  I could not believe the sorry state of us 378 between I95 and Conway considering Myrtle Beach is a major tourist destination. And the urban us 17 in MB was not in great shape.. 17 was better near Charleston

brownpelican

Charleston County and city leaders are threatening legal action against the State Infrastructure Bank if its leaders doesn't meet with Charleston leaders about plans to finish Interstate 525. Charleston leaders say bank leaders have until 5 pm Friday to set a date.

amroad17

Quote from: brownpelican on September 14, 2016, 10:13:07 PM
Charleston County and city leaders are threatening legal action against the State Infrastructure Bank if its leaders doesn't meet with Charleston leaders about plans to finish Interstate 526. Charleston leaders say bank leaders have until 5 pm Friday to set a date.
Why would they care about a spur interstate in New Mexico, Colorado, or Wyoming?  :hmmm:

Seriously though, FIFY.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

The Ghostbuster

Why the legal action threats? I thought the Interstate 526 extension was canceled?

PColumbus73

http://www.scdotcarolinacrossroads.com/alternatives/

SCDOT updated their website for the I-20/26/126 interchange project. It looks like the project would involve work on all the interchanges on I-26 between Lake Murray Blvd and US 378 and I-20 from US 176 (Broad River Rd) to Bush River Rd.

What surprised me is that some of the alternatives involved adding a connector from I-126 to WB I-20. Another alternative involved MOVING the terminus of I-126 to I-20. There are no description for what the scope of the project is.

A lot of interchanges that do not involve I-20/26/126 feature the use of DDIs as an alternative, there are a few offset interchanges featured as well.

If there is anyone from the Columbia area here, I wonder if rebuilding so many interchanges on I-26 is necessary.

Mapmikey

This will be the second time most of those interchanges along I-26 have been rebuilt.  Only I-26 at I-20 and I-26 at Harbison Rd have not already been rebuilt from their original configurations.  For I-26 at US 378, that would be the second time the EB ramp to US 378 was lengthened.

I am a fan of extending I-126 west to I-20 directly.  It should be done in a way so that some of the ramps at the I-20/26 jct can be eliminated.

D-Dey65

New question;

On I-85 at Exit 1, you've got a neglected stub running southeast of SC 11 from the northbound ramps. What was that stub intended for?

While we're at it, near the opposite end you've got northbound Exit 102, which suddenly becomes a two-way road in front of this abandoned loop road. What was there, and wouldn't it just make sense to end all the two-way Traffic at Henson Road?

Mapmikey

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 10, 2016, 12:01:17 AM
New question;

On I-85 at Exit 1, you've got a neglected stub running southeast of SC 11 from the northbound ramps. What was that stub intended for?

While we're at it, near the opposite end you've got northbound Exit 102, which suddenly becomes a two-way road in front of this abandoned loop road. What was there, and wouldn't it just make sense to end all the two-way Traffic at Henson Road?

There is a cemetery and also private property southeast of SC 11 that cannot be accessed any other way than through the gate at the end of that stub.

At the other end, I cannot tell what that property used to be (building removed btw 1999-2005).  The ramp as is looks very dangerous and the property can theoretically be accessed from Henson Rd, though it might be through someone else's land which IIRC is not necessarily something that can be forced by another property owner...

Revive 755

Quote from: PColumbus73 on November 07, 2016, 05:27:07 PM
http://www.scdotcarolinacrossroads.com/alternatives/

SCDOT updated their website for the I-20/26/126 interchange project. It looks like the project would involve work on all the interchanges on I-26 between Lake Murray Blvd and US 378 and I-20 from US 176 (Broad River Rd) to Bush River Rd.

They need 3-D views or more detailed maps that show structure locations, as the current maps do not work well for some of non-conventional alternatives such as the stacked diamond.

oscar

Last week, I took a short-notice road trip to South Carolina from my home in northern Virginia. I already posted a note on the Virginia portion of the trip in the Mid-Atlantc board. The NC part of my trip was unexceptional.

In the Carolinas, I basically took US 321 on the way down, did a side trip to Hilton Head Island on US 278 and its business route, and went back home on US 21. I clinched both US 321 and US 21 overall, except a short gap on US 21 between I-20 and I-77 due to a bridge closure.

I was unhappy with the quality of the signage along US 21 and I-77 between Columbia SC and Charlotte. My big gripe was that on the part of I-77 I had to drive at night, all the signs were poorly reflectorized. (I haven't noticed that issue at night on SC's other Interstates.) That included in particular the logo signs, which I wanted to use to hunt for overnight lodging. I wound up backtracking to an exit where I had seen a Motel 6 sign, and then wandered around to look for better options (I wound up at a Super 8 instead). Usually I'm semi-comfortable with night driving on Interstates, but I'm not going to do that again on that part of I-77.

A lesser gripe is that missing junction signage made it hard to follow US 21, even in the daytime, in northern South Carolina. I didn't encounter that problem on US 321, or south of Columbia on US 21.

Otherwise, I thought road quality in SC was adequate, though I have fairly low standards.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

CanesFan27

This was a feature that I never got around to including on the old SC Highways Page - it is on the Poinsett Bridge in Upstate South Carolina.  It is definitely worth going off the beaten path and a short hike to explore and see.

The bridge is a gothic stone arch bridge that was built in 1820 for what was then known as the State Road / Saluda Mountain Road.  It is the oldest surviving bridge in the state - and perhaps the southeast.

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2016/12/poinsetts-bridge.html

afguy

QuoteSouth Carolina's House leaders say their latest road-funding plan would eventually add more than $600 million yearly into roadwork.

The proposal introduced Wednesday would raise the gas tax by 10 cents, to 26 cents per gallon, over five years. It would also increase the sales tax cap on vehicles, impose fees on hybrid and electric vehicles, and create a fee on out-of-state truckers, based on the miles they drive while passing through South Carolina.

House Speaker Jay Lucas says the legislation ensures every driver who uses South Carolina's roadways helps pay for them.
http://www.wjcl.com/article/south-carolina-house-leaders-plan-would-raise-dollar600m-annually-for-roads/8614745

Mapmikey

I-526 extension may be back on the table...

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/charleston-county-leaders-likely-ready-to-commit-to-funding-i/article_485449ec-e89d-11e6-b5e6-072ed61bb071.html

Charleston County is going to vote today on covering the shortfall in cost over what is/was being offered from other sources...

D-Dey65

Remember that request for an I-95 Business Loop in Walterboro? Well, why not another one in Ridgeland between Exits 18 and 22?

adventurernumber1

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 07, 2017, 08:36:46 AM
Remember that request for an I-95 Business Loop in Walterboro? Well, why not another one in Ridgeland between Exits 18 and 22?

I think that both of those could probably be worthwhile.  :hmmm:

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 09, 2017, 04:50:02 PM
I-526 extension may be back on the table...

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/charleston-county-leaders-likely-ready-to-commit-to-funding-i/article_485449ec-e89d-11e6-b5e6-072ed61bb071.html

Charleston County is going to vote today on covering the shortfall in cost over what is/was being offered from other sources...

An Interstate 526 extension is long overdue. It simply just is not right that this interstate does not yet also cross onto the Johns and James Islands. My family and I are taking a vacation to the Charleston area this summer, and we will be going to the beach on Kiawah Island, and a more convenient route to get there would exist if only I-526 were already extended. Well, hopefully this extension will happen very soon!  :thumbsup:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

PColumbus73

If you want I-526 done faster, you should be praying that it's only the residents whining about aesthetics and not the Coastal Conservation League trying to kill the project. Up in Myrtle Beach, Horry County has been trying to build a 5 1/2 mile road through a wetland area since 2015, but the CCL has been fighting it tooth and nail.

jwolfer

Quote from: PColumbus73 on March 18, 2017, 12:08:37 AM
If you want I-526 done faster, you should be praying that it's only the residents whining about aesthetics and not the Coastal Conservation League trying to kill the project. Up in Myrtle Beach, Horry County has been trying to build a 5 1/2 mile road through a wetland area since 2015, but the CCL has been fighting it tooth and nail.
Myrtle Beach is a pain in the ass to get to compared to many resort areas. Many access routes are 2 lane. And numerous small towns with traffic lights and extreme traffic enforcement.

LGMS428

PColumbus73

Quote from: jwolfer on March 18, 2017, 04:37:22 AM
Myrtle Beach is a pain in the ass to get to compared to many resort areas. Many access routes are 2 lane. And numerous small towns with traffic lights and extreme traffic enforcement.

LGMS428

Haha, try living here!

I live in the Carolina Forest area and I commute to Pawleys Island for work. I have to take US 17 every day, which takes me typically around an hour due to traffic. US 17 between Harrelson Blvd and SC 707/Farrow Pkwy tends to bottleneck bad, especially during the evening rush. It should have been widened to 6-lanes when they built the Back Gate Interchange (SC 707). If I had my way, US 17 would be 6 lanes between Grissom Pkwy and the Georgetown County line.

Traffic almost ALWAYS backs up at the Glenns Bay traffic light, but an interchange is being built here. Hopefully it'll solve some of the problems there. The lights south of Glenns Bay are poorly timed, I can guarantee that you will get stopped at two of the three lights between Garden City and the County Line.

jwolfer

Quote from: PColumbus73 on March 18, 2017, 06:36:10 PM

LGMS428

Haha, try living here!

I live in the Carolina Forest area and I commute to Pawleys Island for work. I have to take US 17 every day, which takes me typically around an hour due to traffic. US 17 between Harrelson Blvd and SC 707/Farrow Pkwy tends to bottleneck bad, especially during the evening rush. It should have been widened to 6-lanes when they built the Back Gate Interchange (SC 707). If I had my way, US 17 would be 6 lanes between Grissom Pkwy and the Georgetown County line.

Traffic almost ALWAYS backs up at the Glenns Bay traffic light, but an interchange is being built here. Hopefully it'll solve some of the problems there. The lights south of Glenns Bay are poorly timed, I can guarantee that you will get stopped at two of the three lights between Garden City and the County Line.
I drove from Jacksonville FL up there and took 378 over from 95, at least it was being widened but for about an hour stuck behind slow moving travelers with no chance to pass. I figured taking 17 back through Charleston looked ok on the map..at least it was all multilaned

Oh was i wrong. SC 31 was good but then traffic light hell through Pawleys Island. From what i read Environmental activates have all but killed any extention 31.

To me it would make sense have 31 cross over intercoastal and hook up to an upgraded US 701 with a Georgetown bypass to make connection to charleston area better

LGMS428

PColumbus73

Quote from: jwolfer on March 18, 2017, 07:08:28 PM
Quote from: PColumbus73 on March 18, 2017, 06:36:10 PM

LGMS428

Haha, try living here!

I drove from Jacksonville FL up there and took 378 over from 95, at least it was being widened but for about an hour stuck behind slow moving travelers with no chance to pass. I figured taking 17 back through Charleston looked ok on the map..at least it was all multilaned

Oh was i wrong. SC 31 was good but then traffic light hell through Pawleys Island. From what i read Environmental activates have all but killed any extention 31.

To me it would make sense have 31 cross over intercoastal and hook up to an upgraded US 701 with a Georgetown bypass to make connection to charleston area better

LGMS428

Currently, SC 31 is being extended to SC 707 in the Socastee/Burgess area. From what I have heard here, there are currently no plans to extend SC 31 to US 17 on the south end. Current plans are for SC 31 to end at a trumpet interchange with SC 707. Burroughs & Chapin Company, who pretty much own the majority of the tourist properties in Myrtle Beach, may have lobbied for SC 31 not to be extended to US 17. I cannot confirm this, but I think B & C wanted to make sure all the expensive tourist traps didn't get bypassed.

From my experience (I work in Pawleys Island), driving through there is not too bad. At least the lights are spread out and traffic is generally not too congested. Sometimes the traffic lights at Litchfield Drive and Willbrook Blvd will turn red quick and back up traffic.

I think one of the plans for SC 31 was to have it routed, or have a connector over to US 701, but I think the environmentalists threw a fit. I highly agree there needs to be a better alternative between Georgetown and Myrtle Beach. If there is a severe accident around Litchfield/Brookgreen Gardens (and there have been in the past), traffic on US 17 is trapped. However, the wetlands (the Waccamaw and Pee Dee Rivers converge in this area) in the area make it really difficult for infrastructure. Also, Sandy Island has historical significance, so it would be impossible to route SC 31 through there.

My problem is US 17 between about Wachesaw Road in Murrells Inlet to about Harrelson Blvd by the airport. I hope SCDOT will superstreet US 17 south of SC 544 and through Murrells Inlet. Hell, I would even support toll lanes on 17.

ARMOURERERIC

I went to Columbia yesterday via I-77 out of Charlotte.   I-77 is being widened from exit 25 southerly to some point, I exited on 277.  There was total landscape clearing at the US 176 exit of I-20.  There is also property demolition in the NE quadrant of the 20/26 interchange.  This is the first time in 25 years that I have been to Columbia.  What a mess it has become.

wriddle082

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on March 23, 2017, 11:17:05 PM
I went to Columbia yesterday via I-77 out of Charlotte.   I-77 is being widened from exit 25 southerly to some point, I exited on 277.  There was total landscape clearing at the US 176 exit of I-20.  There is also property demolition in the NE quadrant of the 20/26 interchange.  This is the first time in 25 years that I have been to Columbia.  What a mess it has become.

I-77 in particular is one huge mess from its beginning at I-26 all the way up to Exit 27 at Blythewood (save for a short stretch b/w Decker Blvd. and I-20 that's not being worked on, but I noticed potholes forming on it last night).

From I-26 all the way up to Exit 13/Decker Blvd., they're supposed to be resurfacing.  Last fall they diamond-ground the existing asphalt, which caused already bad ruts in the pavement seams to get even worse.  So to "rectify" this, they temporarily resurfaced 2-3' "strips" over the problematic seams, which sounds good in theory, but has resulted in extremely uneven pavement.  IMO it makes for a very bad situation, with many of the drivers in this area going to/from Fort Jackson, and army bases, though they all have outstanding employees, don't necessarily attract the greatest drivers.  Anyway, it's all pretty pathetic for a roadway which has sections that aren't even 30 years old!  And I think the contract for this resurfacing doesn't specify completion until next year!  Two whole years for what should be a simple resurfacing.  And I'm sure no bridge deck work will occur, which is desperately needed.  In fact, all bridges on I-77 in SC seem to have deck issues, and I think WSOC-TV 9 in Charlotte did a story about this last year when exposed rebar in a pothole on the bridge over the Catawba River at Rock Hill caused numerous flat tires.

Right now from I-26 to I-20, I-77 is six lanes.  Then from I-20 to SC 277, it is four lanes.  And from SC 277 to US 21, it is six lanes.  All of this original construction.  So right now they are trying to fill in the SC 277 to I-20 gap by making it six lanes, adding an additional lane from SC 277 up to Killian Road to make this stretch eight lanes, then extending the six lanes that ends at US 21 up to Blythewood Road.

Since they only started this work last summer, it doesn't seem like they have accomplished much, but significant drainage work has occured in the median b/w Farrow/277 and Killian.  They're also starting some median bridge work, and have implemented a few lane shifts, along the four lane stretch b/w I-20 and 277, but not a full-on lane shift for that entire stretch just yet.  And no work yet to widen the bridges over the 20 interchange yet, nor any work to add the third lane in each direction b/w US 21 and Blythewood Rd, though they have paved over the original southbound concrete lanes (What's "rubblizing"?).

I drive this stretch at least twice a week for my weekly commute from Greater Columbia to Charlotte, though most often it's dark since I work nights.  The widening work I think is coming along fine considering they started less than a year ago, but the resurfacing from I-26 to Decker is ridiculous!  I sincerely wish SCDOT would stop shutting down every winter due to being too weak to strong-arm an asphalt plant into staying open through the winter to be able to take care of a lot of these issues!  I recall a lot of asphalt resurfacing projects taking place in Tennessee as late as November and as early as March, and Tennessee definitely has colder winters than South Carolina.  So I truly do not understand the virtual "shut down" from October through April of every year.

Sorry if this is rambling, but I can't take this anymore!  Moving from a state with excellent roads and low taxes to one with mediocre roads and average taxes can really be an eye opening experience!

PColumbus73

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/it-s-official-south-carolina-has-a-new-gas-tax/article_8717116e-358c-11e7-990d-0b9882828b60.html

South Carolina just passed a gas tax increase effective July 1. The 12 cent increase will be phased in 2 cents per year.

LM117

Quote from: PColumbus73 on May 11, 2017, 03:29:41 PM
http://www.postandcourier.com/news/it-s-official-south-carolina-has-a-new-gas-tax/article_8717116e-358c-11e7-990d-0b9882828b60.html

South Carolina just passed a gas tax increase effective July 1. The 12 cent increase will be phased in 2 cents per year.

Looks like Hell froze over after all.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.