News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITB

Quote from: I-39 on July 14, 2017, 09:34:36 PM
So do we have a firm completion date for the I-69 Bloomington to Martinsville segment yet?

August 2018. That's the official substantial completion date being reported in media reports, per INDOT and the Indiana Finance Authority.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2017/07/06/lawmakers-urge-officials-avoid-repeating-69-mistakes/456307001/

At this time, Section 5 is about 60% complete. Crews are now working hard at several locations along the project's 21 miles. I guess substantial completion in August 2018 is doable, but I'd feel more comfortable if the date was pushed out to December 2018. To hit the August deadline, a lot of night work probably will be required. That might indeed happen. The State of Indiana–the governor, INDOT, etc.–want this project DONE.

I-39

Quote from: ITB on July 15, 2017, 07:10:10 PM
So do we have a firm completion date for the I-69 Bloomington to Martinsville segment yet?

August 2018. That's the official substantial completion date being reported in media reports, per INDOT and the Indiana Finance Authority.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2017/07/06/lawmakers-urge-officials-avoid-repeating-69-mistakes/456307001/

At this time, Section 5 is about 60% complete. Crews are now working hard at several locations along the project's 21 miles. I guess the August 2018 completion is doable, but I'd feel more comfortable if the date was pushed out to December 2018. To hit the August deadline, a lot of night work probably will be required. That might indeed happen. The State of Indiana–the governor, INDOT, etc.–want this project DONE.

It is more than doable, but I hope they don't rush things. We don't want a not-so-great product in the end.

ITB

Quote from: I-39 on July 15, 2017, 07:14:42 PM

At this time, Section 5 is about 60% complete. Crews are now working hard at several locations along the project's 21 miles. I guess the August 2018 completion is doable, but I'd feel more comfortable if the date was pushed out to December 2018. To hit the August deadline, a lot of night work probably will be required. That might indeed happen. The State of Indiana–the governor, INDOT, etc.–want this project DONE.

It is more than doable, but I hope they don't rush things. We don't want a not-so-great product in the end.

More than doable? If I were a betting man, I'm not sure I'd place a bet on August 2018, unless given darn good odds.

There's still a LOT to do. Work on Section 5 started three years ago. Since then 0 of the 4 planned interchanges have been completed. To be fair, 1 is nearing completion and another is about 50% complete. Work, however, on the other two–at Sample Road and at Tapp Road–is still in the early stages. Moreover, only earthwork for the ramps is underway at Tapp Road, as the SR 37/Tapp Road intersection cannot be sealed off for full-blown construction of the interchange until the interchange at Fullerton Road completes. In addition to the 4 interchanges, of the planned 4 overpasses, 3 are open to traffic. However, the 17th Street/Vernal Pike overpass still requires some work–connecting into the city of Bloomington's 17th street, sidewalks, etc. The 4th overpass–at Chambers Pike north of the planned Sample Road interchange–has yet to commence construction.

Crews are pushing hard, the weather's been cooperating for the most part, so things are progressing forward at a good clip. Substantial completion in August 2018 is indeed possible, but it's no slam dunk at all.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: ITB on July 15, 2017, 07:40:57 PM
Quote from: I-39 on July 15, 2017, 07:14:42 PM

More than doable? If I were a betting man, I'm not sure I'd place a bet on August 2018, unless given darn good odds.

There's still a LOT to do. Work on Section 5 started three years ago. Since then 0 of the 4 planned interchanges have been completed. To be fair, 1 is nearing completion and another is about 50% complete. Work, however, on the other two–at Sample Road and at Tapp Road–is still in the early stages. Moreover, only earthwork for the ramps is underway at Tapp Road, as the SR 37/Tapp Road intersection cannot be sealed off for full-blown construction of the interchange until the interchange at Fullerton Road completes. In addition to the 4 interchanges, of the planned 4 overpasses, 3 are open to traffic. However, the 17th Street/Vernal Pike overpass still requires some work–connecting into the city of Bloomington's 17th street, sidewalks, etc. The 4th overpass–at Chambers Pike north of the planned Sample Road interchange–has yet to commence construction.

Crews are pushing hard, the weather's been cooperating for the most part, so things are progressing forward at a good clip. Substantial completion in August 2018 is indeed possible, but it's no slam dunk at all.

How much of the actual road has been brought up to interstate standards?

ITB

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on July 15, 2017, 09:33:01 PM
How much of the actual road has been brought up to interstate standards?

Before I take a stab at answering the question, please take note that I am not in any way associated with the I-69 Section 5 project. I am not an engineer nor am I affiliated with a construction company or state agency, and never have been. I am simply a construction watcher, who, over the years, has picked up a few things about the building trades.

It's really hard to say with any exactitude how much of Section 5 roadway is now at interstate standards. To hazard a guess, I'd estimate a very substantial portion of the 21 miles is at interstate standards, or soon will be, at this point in time. Bear in mind the section of SR 37 currently being upgraded to I-69 was already a 4-lane divided highway with a grassy median. To a considerable degree it looked like an interstate, and a good number of people motored on it like it was. Except there were several at-grade crossings, and within the city of Bloomington itself three light-controlled intersections.

Most of the work to bring SR 37 up to interstate standards has involved eliminating the at-grade intersections and crossings, widening both the inside and outside shoulders, adding drainage structures, patching spots of roadway that had deteriorated, resurfacing, and reshaping and regrading embankments. At this point, almost all of the roadway between the I-69/SR 37 interchange, south of Bloomington, and the new Kinser Pike overpass to the north, a distance of about nine miles, is now new, expanded resurfaced roadway. If it isn't quite at interstate standards yet, it's very close. Currently, embankment and drainage work is underway on certain segments. Between Kinser Pike and Sample Road, the roadway has seen extensive upgrades as well. Because construction continues on the three mainline bridges in this stretch–Griffy Creek, Beanblossom Creek, and Beanblossom Overflow–the necessary roadway improvement in and around the bridges has to wait until bridge work completes.

It is in the vicinity of Sample Road where the bulk of the remaining construction awaits. Here, in addition to an interchange, roughly two miles of completely new interstate mainline will be built, the new southbound lanes. Crews are currently working to shape the terrain for this roadway, blasting rock several times a week, with the debris used as fill when needed. Blasting activity is expected to continue through August. Several miles of local access roads that will link into the Sample Road interchange are also under construction. Since these roads run adjacent to the interstate mainline in some areas, design and construction standards likely will be high, particularly with regards to drainage.

North of the new interchange at Liberty Church Road in Morgan County, work was underway a couple of weeks ago to add drainage piping. Earlier in this vicinity, a lot of work was undertaken in the median, probably pertaining to drainage as well. Near the rehabbed mainline bridges over Bryants Creek, it looks like work is underway to add drainage structures and redo the shoulders.

The pace of construction has picked up noticeably this year. Crews are working at more locations and appear to be working longer hours. In the vicinity of Sample Road, work was still going strong at 6 pm earlier this week. Crews also have been out working on Saturdays. I imagine once the State assumes control of the project this summer and assigns a new general contractor, the pace may even accelerate.

ITB

A major story on the status of Section 5 was published in Sunday's edition (July 16) of Bloomington's Herald-Times. The headline, "Inching forward: No timetable in place for completion of Section 5," broaches the topic that is on the lips of many in South-Central Indiana, including, as well, a good number of readers of this forum: When will the Section 5 project complete?

The article (link below, but behind a paywall) doesn't provide any new details about the project's schedule, but offers some clarification and additional confirmation of how things will be moving forward. Some highlights from the article include:

- The substantial completion date of August 31, 2018, per the IFA (Indiana Finance Authority), is once again affirmed.
- The State Budget Committee has reviewed the transition plans presented the by the IFA, and has cleared them
- Official project transition from I-69 Development Partners to the State of Indiana is expected by July 31, 2017.
- The state is consulting with Walsh Construction to formulate a transition plan as well as to determine what exactly needs to done to complete the project.

Walsh Construction, for those not in the know, is a heavy hitter in the construction industry. They're headquartered in Chicago and have more than a dozen regional offices in North America. They're big, they do "big" projects. That Walsh has been tabbed to consult on Section 5 means the state is very serious about getting this project finished. It's possible Walsh will be appointed Section 5 general contractor once the state assumes control. If that is what ultimately transpires, it will be a major step forward toward completing Section 5 in timely fashion.

Link: http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/news/local/inching-forward-no-timetable-in-place-for-completion-of-section/article_c93b9f45-9aa2-50ce-aa30-9de7ee3faded.html

Link (Walsh Group): http://www.walshgroup.com/

Edit: Minor correction; added link.

ITB

I ventured out today for another look-see, driving up to Martinsville and back. Sunday is about the only day of the week I can step on site to get a closer look, as crews usually aren't working. One drilling crew was at work a little north of Simpson Chapel Road boring holes for rock blasting.

Here's a few pictures. Photos were taken July 17, 2017, unless otherwise identified.

The middle bent of the future I-69/Sample Road overpass; looking east. Keep in mind that just to north of this location, the current northbound SR 37 lanes will be transitioned to a local access road, with the current southbound lanes of SR 37 becoming the northbound lanes of I-69. A completely new stretch of interstate mainline, about 2 miles in length, will be constructed for the southbound lanes of I-69.

Looking southeast from near the location of the Sample Road overpass and future western roundabout. The path of the future southbound lanes of I-69 is clearly demarcated. To the right is the local access road that will link into the western Sample Road/I-69 roundabout. The access road will run roughly parallel to I-69 for about 1 1/2 miles south from this location.

A closer view of the work south of Sample Road; looking southeast. In the background is recently paved N. Wayport Road. This is the road that was pictured in the last batch of uploaded photos. It will link into the eastern roundabout of the I-69/Sample Road interchange. Also somewhat visible in the middle background is a drilling rig for blasting activities. In this vicinity, the new southbound lanes of I-69 will converge with the current SR 37 southbound lanes.

Looking north from near the future Sample Road/I-69 overpass. In this area, crews have been busy preparing the terrain for the new mainline stretch.

Another perspective of the work zone north of Sample Road. In the foreground, rock has been brought in to build up the ground for the future western I-69/Sample Road roundabout.

The area where the western Sample Road roundabout will be built; looking east. Just over the edge of the rock pile (background) is the median bent that was pictured in the first photo above.

Looking north from near Simpson Chapel Road. Simpson Chapel Rd is 1 mile north of Sample Road, just across from Oliver Winery. Here work continues on preparing the terrain for the new southbound lanes of I-69.

Another perspective of the construction zone north of Simpson Chapel Road; looking north.

The view looking slightly southeast from near Simpson Chapel Road.

For those interested in staying abreast of the blasting events, check out the I-69 Section 5 Twitter account (link below):

https://twitter.com/i69section5?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

codyg1985

Quote from: ITB on July 16, 2017, 10:17:20 PM
Walsh Construction, for those not in the know, is a heavy hitter in the construction industry. They're headquartered in Chicago and have more than a dozen regional offices in North America. They're big, they do "big" projects. That Walsh has been tabbed to consult on Section 5 means the state is very serious about getting this project finished. It's possible Walsh will be appointed Section 5 general contractor once the state assumes control. If that is what ultimately transpires, it will be a major step forward toward completing Section 5 in timely fashion.

Link: http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/news/local/inching-forward-no-timetable-in-place-for-completion-of-section/article_c93b9f45-9aa2-50ce-aa30-9de7ee3faded.html

Link (Walsh Group): http://www.walshgroup.com/

Edit: Minor correction; added link.

Walsh was the main contractor that oversaw the Louisville bridges project recently.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

silverback1065

csw

I believe Walsh was the general contractor for the 641 bypass in Terre Haute. I never had any problems with them the few times I interacted with their people, and I think that project has gone off relatively hitch-free.

abqtraveler

Walsh is very well versed in roadbuilding.  They were one of the prime contractors on the Ohio River Bridges project, as well as may other projects around country.  I'm sure they'll be able to get Section 5 done in short order once the process of cutting ties with the current contractor is completed.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

ITB

Since I was over on the west side of Bloomington Monday and had some time to spare, I decided to snap a few photos of the ongoing construction near the SR 37/Tapp Road intersection. This intersection is the last remaining light-controlled crossing on I-69/SR 37 between Martinsville, IN, and Evansville. When the Fullerton Road/I-69 interchange, about 1 1/2 miles to the south, completes in the next month or so, the intersection will be sealed off to begin full-blown construction of the I-69/Tapp Road interchange.

Construction of the interchanges at Tapp Road and Sample Road, about 9 miles to the north of Tapp, as well as the 2 miles of new interstate mainline near Sample, will be the focus of the project the remaining months of this year as well as 2018. An overpass also is planned at Chambers Pike, about 2 miles north of Sample Road, but construction there has not yet commenced. The interchange at Liberty Church Road in Morgan County, has apparently been placed on the back burner, as little work has occurred there since late last fall. 2018 is shaping up to be a hot and heavy construction season for Section 5.

The SR 37/Tapp Road intersection in Bloomington, Monroe County, Indiana; looking slightly southeast.

Another perspective of the SR 37/Tapp Road intersection; looking south. Crews have already built up the ground for the I-69 southbound entrance ramp (right), and are now doing loose lift (the process of building up the ground) for the southbound exit ramp to Tapp Road. Two traffic roundabouts are planned for this interchange, one on each side of the interstate. The western traffic circle will be located just about where the flat-bed semi is pictured.

A slightly different view of SR 37 and the ongoing construction just south of Tapp Road; looking south. The Fullerton Road overpass is not visible, but is located just around the bend (background).

Looking south from near the SR 37/Tapp Road intersection.

Work is underway to build up the ground on the I-69 northbound exit ramp to Tapp Road; looking northwest. In the background is northbound SR 37 traffic.

ITB

More photos. It was Sunday, another opportunity for a look-see. As it rained heavily Saturday night, to avoid the mud I didn't venture on site. Moreover, I wasn't wearing my boots, and even if I was I didn't fancy getting them all caked up. Anyway ... to the pics! Photos were taken July 23, 2017, unless otherwise identified.

Looking north from the Kinser Pike overpass in Monroe County, Indiana. Construction continues on the three mainline bridges crossing, respectfully, Griffy Creek, Beanblossom Creek and Beanblossom Overflow. Crews have completed the inner portions of the bridges are now working on the outer sections. In this stretch of roadway and on up to the future I-69/Sample Road interchange (deep background), a cable barrier will be installed in the narrow median.

A slightly different perspective of the construction zone north of Kinser Pike. The overpass is for southbound N. State Road 37 Business/N. Walnut Street.

The day before yesterday, July 22, in early afternoon, a triple fatality crash unfolded about a mile south of the overpass near the Bayles Road/N. State Road 37 Business crossing involving a bus and four other vehicles. A construction zone had been set up near Bayles with a flagger, and, apparently, southbound traffic had been stopped. A Miller Transportation bus with passengers on board rear-ended the last vehicle in the line of stopped traffic, a mini-van, killing three of the four occupants. Terrible. Just terrible.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/fox59/2017/07/23/3-dead-fatal-bus-accident-near-bloomington-indiana/502926001/

Close up view of the construction on the mainline bridges over Griffy Creek (foreground) and Beanblossom Creek; looking north.

A broad perspective of the view from the Kinser Pike overpass; looking north. Of interest is the path of the western access road (left), which swings around a small cemetery, located where the trees and greenery are adjacent to SR 37 southbound (background). The Mobil and Circle K signage near Sample Road is visible in the deep background.

Looking northwest toward the future I-69/Sample Road interchange. The concrete column structure will be the median bent for the Sample Road overpass.

Drilling rigs for boring holes in preparation for blasting activities. Just south of the SR 37/Sample Road crossing; looking southwest.

Here's the rock that's getting blasted away; looking south from near the Circle K Mart at Sample Road and SR 37.

An expansive view of the construction zone at Sample Road and SR 37; looking north. The pavement is N. Wayport Road, which will become a local access road that will link into Sample Road via a roundabout. The path of the western local access road, which will jut off south from a roundabout, is visible left.

Close up view of the location of the future southbound lanes of I-69 that will pass under the overpass for Sample Road; looking slightly northwest. In addition to the mainline lanes, the I-69 southbound entrance ramp from Sample Road will also pass under the overpass. Similar to the interchange at Fullerton Road in Bloomington, the southbound entrance ramp will veer off north from a traffic circle and swing around in half-circular fashion to merge with I-69.

One last view of the the construction zone north of Kinser Pike; looking north.

Tip: To view the photos in expanded format, do a right click and select "view photo."

Edit: Added tip info; minor wording change.

silverback1065

i wish they'd use concrete, i'm beginning to hate asphalt on major roads. 

inkyatari

When is this stretch of I-69 supposed to be finished?
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Roadsguy

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 24, 2017, 07:32:37 AM

I'm surprised they didn't, considering that the new-alignment section of 69 from I-64 to Bloomington is all concrete, and they definitely use it in reconstructions, too, judging by at least some of the roads around Indianapolis.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

codyg1985

Quote from: Roadsguy on July 24, 2017, 05:32:53 PM

I'm surprised they didn't, considering that the new-alignment section of 69 from I-64 to Bloomington is all concrete, and they definitely use it in reconstructions, too, judging by at least some of the roads around Indianapolis.

Maybe using asphalt was done as a cost-cutting measure, or maybe the soils settle too much to allow for the use of concrete?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

silverback1065

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 24, 2017, 07:34:28 PM

Maybe using asphalt was done as a cost-cutting measure, or maybe the soils settle too much to allow for the use of concrete?
I'm pretty sure it was cost, but your soil point could also be a reason. I just feel asphalt is a terrible wearing surface on major roadways, take a look at the never ending patch job that is i-65.  Typically when projects go out to bid for indot they have them in concrete and asphalt, and whichever is cheaper wins obviously. Concrete seems to almost always be more expensive, which is why it's not as popular on roads as asphalt. But you get what you pay for it seems...

Nexus 6P

tdindy88

Correction, MOST of I-69 from I-64 to Bloomington is concrete, some of it is asphalt. And money and soil were mentioned as reasons for doing it, it's just the two roadway types seem to change at random depending on which group was building that section (the individual sections within the larger section) of the highway.

silverback1065

i'd like to see every interstate in concrete

inkyatari

I want to think that maybe it has to do with climate change, because I was reading something recently that says concrete plants are a big contributor to the problem.

But then there's oil refineries...
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

silverback1065

Quote from: inkyatari on July 25, 2017, 09:09:06 AM
I want to think that maybe it has to do with climate change, because I was reading something recently that says concrete plants are a big contributor to the problem.

honestly asphalt is pretty green considering how recyclable it is.  the vast majority of it is reused.  dont think you can reuse concrete like that

seicer

Concrete is a highly recyclable product. When it's replaced, it's rubble-ized and used as a base for new highways or as fill.

rte66man

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 25, 2017, 10:07:18 AM
Quote from: inkyatari on July 25, 2017, 09:09:06 AM

honestly asphalt is pretty green considering how recyclable it is.  the vast majority of it is reused.  dont think you can reuse concrete like that

Possibly.  I've seen where the old concrete was pulverized and used as the base for new concrete.  I wonder if the cost of doing so as opposed to zero recycling is the reason for not seeing more of this.

EDIT:  Was entering this when prior post was made.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

dvferyance

Quote from: LM117 on June 25, 2017, 03:12:26 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on June 24, 2017, 07:35:16 PM
69 is absolutely needed from indy to eville, it's absolutely unnecessary south of that.

It's worth extending I-69 to Memphis IMO, since it would link Indy to I-55 and New Orleans, allowing traffic traveling between those two cities to bypass Birmingham and Nashville, which would otherwise be encountered via the I-59/I-65 route.

Another bonus of the extension is that it made Future I-169 in KY possible, which will give Evansville an interstate connection to Nashville (via link to I-24).
Not really Memphis traffic can just take I-55 to I-155 to US 51 to I-24 to I-69 to Indianapolis. All of which are already freeways. You don't need another parallel interstate 20 miles east of I-55 down to Memphis. I am sure this route isn't much longer anyways. I always thought I-24 at Hopkinsville KY is the most logical southern end for I-69 instead of it turning west to meet I-24.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.