News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Favorite Interstate

Started by Voyager, January 17, 2009, 11:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

mightyace

Quote from: ComputerGuy on January 21, 2009, 10:20:28 PM
Wow...lots of lanes for an aux. route and only two for a cross-country superhighway. :ded:

Well, 294 is a Chicagoland beltway while I-80 hits rural IL not too many miles west of the junction.

i.e.  294 at this point gets much more traffic.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

mightyace

Like many people, my favorite is one from my youth.

I-80 across Pennsylvania.  Lots of trees and hills.  A wide median that is over a mile in some places!

And, less that average traffic.  Yes, 90% of it seems to be trucks, but the truckers make far fewer bonehead moves!  :pan:

Unfortunately, I haven't had the pleasure of driving many western highways, but I-80 in the Sierra Nevadas between Sacaremento and Reno has some beutiful spots, especially over Donner Summit.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

akotchi

I have two in mind.

I-68 through western Maryland.  The mountain rock cuts and views are quite beautiful.  I also recall the days when it was still U.S. 40, because I worked at a Scout Camp near Hancock.

I-97 is the other.  I lived in the Annapolis area during the years the highway was constructed and could watch the progress of construction on the new alignment and the gradual upgrading of MD 3 from south to north. 
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

akotchi

Easy to clinch . . .

I'm not sure why it is even a 2di.  I would think it had larger aspirations, but I saw the EIS documents and that was it.  I guess Annapolis wanted a 2di.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

corco

In terms of a full haul, I like the western I-84 just because of the highly diverse terrain it goes through.

In terms of more isolated stretches I really like I-5 from Mt Vernon WA to Bellingham, and then I-40 from Knoxville to Asheville

DrZoidberg

Growing up in Wisconsin, I have two favorites.

1) Interstate 94, I grew up in Delafield, just off of I-94.

2) We used to vacation in northern Wisconsin in the summers, so I always looked at US 51 as the "vacation freeway", so I was happy to see it finally get a blue shield as I-39....even though I-39 in Wisconsin has legitamacy issues according to some forums I've seen.
"By the way...I took the liberty of fertilizing your caviar."

rmsandw

I-355 Illinois at I-88

and I-39 over the Illinois River Valley...
http://roads.billburmaster.com  Roads of the Mid-South & West
http://www.youtube.com/user/rmsandw YouTube Channel
http://www.billburmaster.com

un1

I think I might have to change my favourite.
I have to say I-35 in Duluth, Minnesota.

Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

un1

You should see it just outside of downtown Duluth, since it goes right through a port, there is so many bridges and almost always a train. (I love trains though.  :-D)
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

ComputerGuy

I-5 and I-90 and SR-99 go through the Port of Seattle...second largest in the USA, I think.

corco

Seattle has the 38th largest port in the USA. the Port of South Louisiana is the largest, and the Port of Long Beach is the largest on the west coast. The Port of Tacoma is the largest in Washington State.

corco

As a former resident of Tacoma we get quite mad that all you Seattleites think your Port is bigger  :colorful:

Voyager

I really like I-25 too. Mostly because of Colorado.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

AZDude

My favorite Interstate would have to I-40.  I guess because it was the one I lived closest to for many years.  It was also the first two digit interstate I had ever clinched (accomplished at the age of 20)

americuss

I agree with the person who said Interstate 10.  I didn't get my driver's license 'till I was thirty-six in 1992, and took my first solo road trip to SoCal from Pittsburgh in '98 in a 1985 Pontiac 6000.  Was supposed to go IH40 to CA but got pretty frazzled my first three days out because I had never driven more than 50 miles from where I lived.  Couldn't go faster than 50mph, and it took me three days to get to Little Rock.  A friend was living in New Orleans at the time and suggested I go down and stay with her a couple days.  So I travelled Rt. 65 through Pine Bluff, IH 20 to Jackson and IH 55 South to 10.  Took 10 to Cali.  I wasn't thrilled at first because when I saw the mileage sign in Texas that said almost 9 hundred miles to go I cringed.  After that my life changed because I saw everything in America that I ever dreamed of seeing or quested after--the most beautiful road I could imagine.  From Kerrville Texas to Palm Springs was such a variety of desolate beauty and relatively isolated interstate--mostly Far West Texas, that I didn't care about reaching the ocean anymore.  The other person who loves I 10--you know what I'm talking about :nod:  Texas Canyon rest area east of Tuscon is beautiful also.

I've thought that the other trip I would like to take is the one a couple other folks mentioned--I 70 Colorado/Utah.  I'd love to see 70 in Glenwood canyon.

I'm surprised to see IH 68 through Maryland mentioned also.  My daughter lived in Chilesburgh Virginia for awhile--between Fredericksburg and Richmond.  I have a bad disk in my neck and on my first trip down that way (from PA speaking) I decided to forego the PA turnpike because of road surface and traffic and travel 68 through Maryland and West Virginia.  I wasn't enthused about eastern roads until then--I absolutely loved the drive. Went that way every trip that I took to VA.  You're right--68 is so pretty and the road surface is smooth as glass.   
My first time posting here after looking at this sight for years.     

Alex

My interest in Interstate 10 is that it connects many of the sunbelt cities I like, and for being a sunbelt Interstate, it has many sections with light traffic or desolation. The lowest traffic counts on any Florida Interstate highway are in the panhandle of Florida. The 80 mph speed limit along IH-10 in west Texas is indicative of the emptyness of that freeway. When I last took it, speed limits were posted at 75, but I happily did 72 and hardly was passed anyway.

FreewayDan

In California, I like I-5 through Orange County.  In Texas, I like I-10, especially the recently expanded Katy Freeway.
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

Marc

Quote from: FreewayDan on February 17, 2009, 05:33:10 PM
In California, I like I-5 through Orange County.  In Texas, I like I-10, especially the recently expanded Katy Freeway.

I just got back home via the Katy Freeway. It's beginning to have traffic problems already.

As far as my favorite Interstate, I'd have to say I-95. While I haven't been on all of it, what I've seen, I like. I've been on I-95 from Cape Canaveral, FL all the way to Washington DC (excluding North Carolina). I used to live in Jacksonville, FL and I love the view of the skyline as you enter downtown from the south. Very pretty city.

A close second would be I-10. I've been on the eastern 2/3 of it or so, covering Fort Stockton, TX all the way to the eastern terminus in Jacksonville, TX. Every inch of I-10 between those two cities, I've covered.

As for a three-digit Interstate, I'd have to say I-295 in FL (Jacksonville loop). Once the eastern half is signed as I-295, the loop will have two very impressive bridges. The ridiculously long Buckman Bridge (currently I-295) to the south and the gorgeous cable-stayed Dames Point Bridge (currently FL-9A) to the east.

jakebrake0776

i would have to say the i-84/380 duplex near Scranton, PA is my favorite, 2nd would be i-88 between binghamton & schenectady, 3rd i-81 in PA.

Scott5114

Quote from: corco on February 01, 2009, 01:29:02 PM
As a former resident of Tacoma we get quite mad that all you Seattleites think your Port is bigger  :colorful:

What about the Tulsa Port of Catoosa?

Oh wait. Why'd I ask that? :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ComputerGuy

Another: I-5 between North Lakewood and Conway, WA, really wide medians, big overflooding rivers and lots of evergreens.

luokou

Hehheh, i'll have to give another vote to interstates in my youth and say I-5, and I-84 West (especially through the Columbia River Gorge, absolutely breathtaking). i've driven the entire length of I-5 and i still never get bored of it. Well, the length through the Central Valley in CA is kind of a stretch...

codyg1985

My favorite is I-540 between Alma, AR and Fayetteville, AR. It's a well-designed highway in a very scenic portion of Arkansas. I also like I-64 west of Louisville, KY. It traverses southern Indiana's hilly terrain, and the road is really neat to drive right at sunset.

One day I would love to see I-84 in Oregon.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

74/171FAN

I-74(even though I've never been on it) and I-64
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.