News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Highest speed limits on 2-lane roads

Started by TheHighwayMan3561, March 27, 2009, 04:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

Needs no more discussion of the question.  :-D
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

deathtopumpkins

Well that would be 55, would it not? Only interstates are allowed to have higher speed limits than that I believe.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Chris

I've seen pics with 70 signs on a Montana highway in the middle of nowhere.

okroads

The highest is 75 mph on some highways in west Texas. Here is a picture I took in 2006 on U.S. 62/U.S. 180 just south of the New Mexico state line:

akotchi

I've seen some 65s on some sections of U.S. highways in Arizona and Utah.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

corco

Wyoming puts a speed limit of 65 on essentially every rural paved road with a state highway signed, even ones that are barely two lanes wide and have no shoulders and are overgrown with giant potholes

Washington does 65 on certain well designed 2 lane roads like SR 26

Idaho is slightly more liberal then Washington but mainly reserves 65 for primary 2 lane roads

Oregon is a maximum of 55 on 2 lane roads, which is miserable when you're trying to get cross state (eg Boise to Eugene/Corvallis via US-20 is a long, flat, desolate drive with a 55 MPH speed limit). If you have Oregon plates you generally won't get pulled over as long as you keep it under 70 though.

Bryant5493

Georgia's two lane roads are all posted as a maximum of 55 m.ph., although, on some, you can travel well beyond that.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

un1

FM roads that parallel interstates in Texas get the same speed as the interstate.
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

PAHighways

The highest posted limit on a rural 2-lane road in Pennsylvania is 55.  It makes me laugh when I can drive a piece of road with homes and businesses along it with a limit of 55, but some sections of our expressway system are below that.  However, in either case, no one goes the posted speed anyway.

Bryant5493

un1 said:
FM roads that parallel interstates in Texas get the same speed as the interstate.

Bryant5493 says:
Wow! That's awesome. I'm making a trip to W. Texas one day, just to drive 80 m.p.h. on I-10 and I-20 and not have to watch my back, front and side.  :-D

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

larryao

I think the highest speed in California for a two lane road is 65 MPH. :sombrero:

SSOWorld

55 in WI.  They have a law that says "55 unless posted - which includes interstates" (meaning, if not deliberately posted to 65, the limit is 55.)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

deathtopumpkins

Well they're all 55 here... err except for the really rural ones with no speed limit.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

74/171FAN

Quotefrom DTP:  Well they're all 55 here... err except for the really rural ones with no speed limit.
I believe that the really rural roads are also 55 according to the DMV manual.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Revive 755

Missouri has some two lane US Routes at 65, including US 54 west of Lake of the Ozarks, most of US 63 between US 60 and Rolla, and then some parts of US 63 north of Rolla (which seems to be a bit high in spots).  I believe parts of US 60 between Van Buren and Mountain View were posted at 65 before they were widened.  Before the NMSL, two lane US Routes could have been posted at 70:
http://www.cosmos-monitor.com/mo/map1958/speed-law.html

Nebraska posts two lane roads generally at 60 east of a north-south line between Grand Island and Kearney, and 65 west of that line, with some exceptions.  Whether a road is 60 or 65 seems to be extremely arbitrary, as there doesn't seem to be any noticeable differences along US 30 between the 60 and 65 sections near Gothenburg.  I think more roads were at 65 pre-NMSL.

Kansas posts two lane roads at 65.

(Edited for spelling)

Chris

Although European freeway speed limits are generally higher than in the US (most European countries have a Vmax of 75 or 80 mph), generally European 2-lane road speed limits are lower. In the Netherlands, the speed limit outside city limits is 50 mph, and occasionaly 60 mph on some roads, however, many rural roads have a speed limit of just 40 mph, quite to my annoyance.

Germany has the highest speed limits in Europe, 80 or no speed limit at all on freeways, and 60 mph outside city limits unless otherwise posted. I love driving in Germany, the freedom of driving there is so great, though I usually stick to 75 - 80 mph on Autobahns so save my fuel consumption.

Chris

Most of the European Union is now under the Schengen treaty, which means a free movement of goods, capital and people. Hence, you can drive from Estonia to Portugal without having to stop at any border. It's basically the same as travelling from North Carolina into Virginia.

Sykotyk

Texas speed limits are determined by the population density of the county the road is in (towns have their own jurisdiction). I believe the 80mph on interstates only applies to interstates, as I've yet to see any west texas two-lane road be signed at 80mph.

Although, in Texas, all commercial vehicles are restricted to a maximum of 70mph, regardless of the posted signage, and all vehicles are restricted to 65mph (unless posted lower) at night.

Sykotyk

deathtopumpkins

74/171 & froggie:
I've heard that too... and know it's fact now, I just wonder now why they put a sign saying "End Speed Limit" instead of Speed Limit 55... and I assume that on some that are paved but might as well be gravel 55 would not be an appropriate speed on.  ;-)

roadfro

Two-lane U.S. highways in Nevada are generally signed at 70mph, except through small towns and where the terrain does not allow for it.  Most of the major state highways that are two-lanes in rural areas (especially those in the central and eastern parts of the state) also are signed at 70mph--most other state routes are are signed at 65mph.

Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Bryant5493

Voyager

Around 65 is the highest that I think I've seen.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

jgb191

US 90 in West Texas between Del Rio and the Big Bend is a 75-MPH stretch.  That's is the highest I have seen.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

BigMattFromTexas

on just about every 2-lane U.S highway in texas the speed limit is 70 mph

Alps

In NJ the highest you ever get on a 2-lane road is 55 mph and that's very rare.  A couple in the Pinelands (70, 206, maybe a county route or two) and I think one other stretch of 206.  Everything else is 50 or less.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.