News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

IN: US 50 North Vernon Bypass

Started by mukade, May 24, 2012, 08:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mukade

The $21.9 million dollar project will construct a new two-lane, 4.5 mile partial bypass connecting the existing U.S. 50 near County Road 400 W to State Road 3 in North Vernon...

Lt. Governor Breaks Ground on New U.S. 50 North Vernon Bypass

tdindy88

If I understand from the online sign diagrams that the new bypass will be Indiana 750, at least until the whole thing is completed, at which point it becomes U.S. 50.

paulthemapguy

This thread is super-dead but I'm bringin' it back.

I became interested in this when I saw the number "750" shown on teh google maps.  I'm surprised they actually signed it as SR 750!  Is it still true that this will eventually become US50 when it's completed?  And if so, are they going to slap the number 750 on the old US50 alignment?  I don't know about Indiana's level of affinity for Business Routes
https://goo.gl/maps/t6AZ4i38VFw
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

tdindy88

The bypass will be US 50 and the current US 50, based on what one can typically think from INDOT will be given to North Vernon as a local road. The number 750 is merely a placeholder for the time being. INDOT does not do business routes officially but local municipalities can sign them (a few have though most do not.) In any case a business route is still the local government's responsibility.

SW Indiana

Business 50 through Washington (Daviess County) is still maintained by INDOT. The bypass opened around 1990 or 1992. IIRC, Washington refused to accept responsibility for the road, even after being offered a sum of money to cover maintenance. Is it possible for a municipality to do so?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SW Indiana on March 18, 2016, 03:14:46 PM
Business 50 through Washington (Daviess County) is still maintained by INDOT. The bypass opened around 1990 or 1992. IIRC, Washington refused to accept responsibility for the road, even after being offered a sum of money to cover maintenance. Is it possible for a municipality to do so?

As far as I know, yes.  INDOT and a city/county have to agree to turn a state-maintained highway over to local control.  INDOT wants to get rid of IN 933 in Mishawaka and the city is refusing.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

paulthemapguy

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 20, 2016, 12:10:23 PM
As far as I know, yes.  INDOT and a city/county have to agree to turn a state-maintained highway over to local control.  INDOT wants to get rid of IN 933 in Mishawaka and the city is refusing.

I imagine INDOT wants to get rid of its whole system, and the current network of Indiana state roads are just the ones local agencies have refused to accept.   :rolleyes:

thefro

My understanding is the City/County have already agreed to take the road, but I'll have to double-check that.

Anyway, the first half of the bypass has been open for some time and there's light traffic on it.  It has diverted a lot of the semi traffic from downtown North Vernon, which is good.

I believe the other half is supposedly going to start construction this year.

The existing US 50 route is still going to have way more traffic then the bypass.

The Ghostbuster

When will the North Vernon Bypass be completed?

gilpdawg

Cruised through there earlier today. A lot of work has been done on the new section since last time I was there back in March.

iPad

usends

Anyone know if this has opened yet?  INDOT's website says the anticipated date was late summer/early fall 2017.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

mvak36

Quote from: usends on November 29, 2017, 07:47:00 PM
Anyone know if this has opened yet?  INDOT's website says the anticipated date was late summer/early fall 2017.

I tried finding an article but could not find anything. So I looked at Openstreetmap and it doesn't look like it's been opened yet.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

paulthemapguy

I need to stop in North Vernon to complete my Indiana road sign photo collection, and I promised myself I'd do that by the end of this year.  Will report back once I get a free 3-day weekend to accomplish this  :biggrin:

thefro

IIRC, supposed to open this week, might slip into next week though.  I know they ran into some weather delays and added a roundabout on the eastern side of town where 50/750 will meet.  The western side will get one too as that was a very dangerous intersection and there have been a few deaths in accidents in the last couple years there.

silverback1065

Quote from: thefro on December 04, 2017, 04:40:38 PM

IIRC, supposed to open this week, might slip into next week though.  I know they ran into some weather delays and added a bypass on the eastern side of town where 50/750 will meet.  The western side will get one too as that was a very dangerous intersection and there have been a few deaths in accidents in the last couple years there.

what are you talking about? a bypass of the bypass? i think i'm misreading what you're saying

silverback1065

i'm assuming current 50 that is being bypassed will no longer be a state road

okroads

I may be going through North* Vernon on Sunday as part of collecting some new counties in SE Indiana. May have to add this to my list of things to check out.

thefro

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 04, 2017, 04:49:40 PM

IIRC, supposed to open this week, might slip into next week though.  I know they ran into some weather delays and added a bypass on the eastern side of town where 50/750 will meet.  The western side will get one too as that was a very dangerous intersection and there have been a few deaths in accidents in the last couple years there.

what are you talking about? a bypass of the bypass? i think i'm misreading what you're saying

Sorry, there is a roundabout on the East end of the bypass (connecting future SR750 & US 50) and will be one constructed on the other end.

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 04, 2017, 04:51:16 PM

Eventually, but it may be several years before INDOT finishes repaving, etc on current US 50 and turning it over to Jennings County/City of North Vernon.

silverback1065

Quote from: thefro on December 05, 2017, 09:54:38 AM

Sorry, there is a roundabout on the East end of the bypass (connecting future SR750 & US 50) and will be one constructed on the other end.

Eventually, but it may be several years before INDOT finishes repaving, etc on current US 50 and turning it over to Jennings County/City of North Vernon.

hmm, i wonder what will happen in the meantime, will it be signed as 750, business us 50, nothing, or us 50 (they did this with 231 in lafayette for a few weeks)

thefro

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 05, 2017, 10:03:41 AM
Quote from: thefro on December 05, 2017, 09:54:38 AM

hmm, i wonder what will happen in the meantime, will it be signed as 750, business us 50, nothing, or us 50 (they did this with 231 in lafayette for a few weeks)

My understanding is US 50 will continue to be signed as it is now, the bypass will be SR 750 when it opens (at the very least until they get the western roundabout constructed).  There's not even an agreement to turn the current US 50 over to the county/city yet.

silverback1065

okroads

I was in North Vernon today and can confirm a couple things:

- The bypass is not open east of SR 3 yet.

- It will be signed as US 50 as soon as it opens as I saw a US 50 shield posted on the bypass just east of SR 3

- SR 3 has been rerouted to continue north along SR 7 to SR 750 then heads east to the current eastern terminus of SR 750, where it heads north towards Greensburg on its previous route.

I photographed the entire route in both directions and will post some pictures here once they're uploaded to Flickr.

silverback1065

Quote from: okroads on December 10, 2017, 06:54:36 PM

- It will be signed as US 50 as soon as it opens as I saw a US 50 shield posted on the bypass just east of SR 3

- SR 3 has been rerouted to continue north along SR 7 to SR 750 then heads east to the current eastern terminus of SR 750, where it heads north towards Greensburg on its previous route.

I photographed the entire route in both directions and will post some pictures here once they're uploaded to Flickr.

INDOT just couldn't bare to take care of 1.2 miles of road, so they rerouted SR 3

thefro

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 11, 2017, 07:29:51 AM
Quote from: okroads on December 10, 2017, 06:54:36 PM

INDOT just couldn't bare to take care of 1.2 miles of road, so they rerouted SR 3

That's surprising to me given that SR 3 is a route for substantial semi truck traffic to get to the US 50 bypass from the Lowe's distribution center in North Vernon, along with other industry.

tdindy88

So what will they call that stretch of SR 3. I don't believe there is any name for it. I can't think of any practical reason for even rerouting that highway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.