News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

TWC Naming Winter Storms

Started by 74/171FAN, November 07, 2012, 11:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEK Inc.

In the lowlands of the Pacific Northwest, we only get one big snowstorm a year (if that), so we just call it the snowpocalpse of 2012. 
Take the road less traveled.

vtk

People still talk about the Blizzard Of '78 here.

Really though, while 6" of snow is a pain in the neck and doesn't happen every winter, it's still just bad weather.  Wind and/or ice that knocks out power for days at a time is more memorable.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

kkt

Trivia:  Naming of storms comes from the English professor and novelist George R. Stewart in his 1941 novel Storm, about a storm named Maria hitting California.  A fictitious weatherman named the storms on his weather map, because he was tired of thinking of them as "that storm that yesterday was centered at 127 degrees W, 45 degrees N."  He was somewhat embarrassed when a co-worker learned of his storm-naming habit, thinking it just a little bit unprofessional.

Road geeks will enjoy his travelogue books U.S. 40: Cross Section of the United States of America and N.A. 1: The North-South Continental Highway, that have interesting text and many photographs from the 1950s.

tdindy88

Indianapolis media today's been calling the most recent snowstorm the Blizzard of 2012 (by meteorological technicality it was a blizzard,) so TWC's usage of Euclid has not been effective at all. Here too we always hear about '78, but I was born soon after so I will never have the personal experience of that storm. Even with that, today's storm may not even reach my own top five, in other words the media was being a bit over-the-top, but at least we weren't calling it Euclid!

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: kkt on December 26, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
Trivia:  Naming of storms comes from the English professor and novelist George R. Stewart in his 1941 novel Storm, about a storm named Maria hitting California.  A fictitious weatherman named the storms on his weather map, because he was tired of thinking of them as "that storm that yesterday was centered at 127 degrees W, 45 degrees N."  He was somewhat embarrassed when a co-worker learned of his storm-naming habit, thinking it just a little bit unprofessional.

I don't think so. In late 19th century, some people already named tropical cyclones that hit Australia. But it is true they started giving names to typhoons (And later to Atlantic hurricanes) soon after that novel.

In Europe all highs and lows are named by the Free University of Berlin, with different acceptance throughout the continent: For example in Spain names are unheard except if a low results to be an European windstorm (A type of extratropical cyclone, I remember Xynthia and Klaus). However, some days ago I read about Nicky, which was a really deep low over North Central Atlantic. So the TWC naming winter storms is like this: Is not unheard of, but not widespread.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Scott5114

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 27, 2012, 12:00:31 PM
In Europe all highs and lows are named by the Free University of Berlin, with different acceptance throughout the continent: For example in Spain names are unheard except if a low results to be an European windstorm (A type of extratropical cyclone, I remember Xynthia and Klaus). However, some days ago I read about Nicky, which was a really deep low over North Central Atlantic. So the TWC naming winter storms is like this: Is not unheard of, but not widespread.

Naming highs and lows seems like overkill. In the US, most people don't even know what the Hs and Ls on the map mean or why they should care.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alex

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 27, 2012, 07:31:45 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 27, 2012, 12:00:31 PM

Naming highs and lows seems like overkill. In the US, most people don't even know what the Hs and Ls on the map mean or why they should care.

That is because the weather channel and the local meteorologists stopped informing their viewers of what such a concept means...

Scott5114

You're telling me. Not to mention that high school level classes don't really cover atmospheric science all that well. I remember the lightbulb going on over my head whenever they were explained in college.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 28, 2012, 12:18:01 AM
You're telling me. Not to mention that high school level classes don't really cover atmospheric science all that well. I remember the lightbulb going on over my head whenever they were explained in college.

I remember the storm this past weekend up north was Winter Storm Gandolf. My first reaction was "can't they spell Gandalf'? Then I read their reasoning.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.