News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Utah may expand 80-mph zones

Started by 1995hoo, February 05, 2013, 09:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Salt Lake Tribune: Utah lawmakers move to create more 80 mph speed zones.

The story says the 80-mph "test" zones were deemed a success and that the average speed in the 80-mph zones increased by only 1 mph over the average when they were posted at 75.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US 41

I hate low speed limits. What I hate most is when they lower the speed limit on a road. I'm glad some states are raising speed limits on their roads.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

nexus73

We're still stuck with 65 MPH in Oregon thanks to nannystatism ruling the roost.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

agentsteel53

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 05, 2013, 09:34:21 AM

The story says the 80-mph "test" zones were deemed a success and that the average speed in the 80-mph zones increased by only 1 mph over the average when they were posted at 75.

that jibes with my personal observations.  In Utah, I go 82 in a 75, and in the 80 zones I set cruise control to 83 or 84.  traffic behavior seems to be nearly identical; probably 1mph faster, which I don't think I could observe just by driving.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 05, 2013, 12:02:29 PM

that jibes with my personal observations.  In Utah, I go 82 in a 75, and in the 80 zones I set cruise control to 83 or 84.  traffic behavior seems to be nearly identical; probably 1mph faster, which I don't think I could observe just by driving.

The other thing about the average speed numbers in those situations is that they are easily explained by considering the people who say something like, "I'd like to go faster, but I obey the law." This sort of driver will be doing 75 in a 75-mph zone and will speed up to 80 in an 80-mph zone. If enough drivers do that, the average speed increases.

Utah's experience seems fairly consistent with what New York State experienced when they finally allowed a 65-mph rural limit under the old NMSL shortly before that law was repealed in 1995. I recall reading somewhere that on New York roads that saw the increase from 55 to 65, the average speed increased from around 64 mph to 67 or 68 mph. Once again, that's amply traceable to the "speed-limit obeyers" speeding up.

Every time there's talk of a speed-limit increase anywhere around here I see the usual scare tactics by the people who say "if you post 70, everyone will go 80," etc. It doesn't match my experience on the roads at all. We finally got more widespread 70-mph zones in Virginia in 2010 and I find I still regularly encounter people going slower than 70. On the other hand, I don't encounter nearly as many people going 90 mph as I used to in the 1990s, but that's just as likely to be a function of increased traffic levels making it hard to go that fast.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

oscar

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 05, 2013, 12:28:40 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 05, 2013, 12:02:29 PM

The other thing about the average speed numbers in those situations is that they are easily explained by considering the people who say something like, "I'd like to go faster, but I obey the law." This sort of driver will be doing 75 in a 75-mph zone and will speed up to 80 in an 80-mph zone. If enough drivers do that, the average speed increases.

Utah's experience seems fairly consistent with what New York State experienced when they finally allowed a 65-mph rural limit under the old NMSL shortly before that law was repealed in 1995. I recall reading somewhere that on New York roads that saw the increase from 55 to 65, the average speed increased from around 64 mph to 67 or 68 mph. Once again, that's amply traceable to the "speed-limit obeyers" speeding up.

Every time there's talk of a speed-limit increase anywhere around here I see the usual scare tactics by the people who say "if you post 70, everyone will go 80," etc. It doesn't match my experience on the roads at all. We finally got more widespread 70-mph zones in Virginia in 2010 and I find I still regularly encounter people going slower than 70. On the other hand, I don't encounter nearly as many people going 90 mph as I used to in the 1990s, but that's just as likely to be a function of increased traffic levels making it hard to go that fast.

I suspect that what's going on is the "speed limit obeyers" who speed up when the limit increases, are partly offset by the "reasonable speed limit obeyers", who don't pay a lot of attention to unreasonably low limits, but if the limit is increased to something more reasonable, they'll slow down a little so they don't have to worry about getting pulled over.  That squares with what I've observed in Texas and the mountain states, where speed limits more closely resemble what most drivers would do anyway. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

oscar

The article, and the earlier article linked to it, mention only parts of I-15, I-80, and I-84 as candidates for additional 80 mph zones.  Anyone there have any idea why no segments of I-70 were on the list?
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kphoger

It's commonsense that, if you post a rural freeway at 20 mph, a lot of people are going to speed by a lot, whereas, if you post the same rural freeway at 90 mph, hardly anybody will speed by more than 10 mph.  It stands to reason, then, that the amount by which people speed is not as simple as "10 over, no matter what the speed limit"....
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

indeed, people in Germany don't drive infinity-plus-ten miles an hour.  the 50th percentile cruising speed is about 150 km/h.

jake@aaroads.com

Rover_0

Quote from: oscar on February 05, 2013, 12:55:20 PM

The article, and the earlier article linked to it, mention only parts of I-15, I-80, and I-84 as candidates for additional 80 mph zones.  Anyone there have any idea why no segments of I-70 were on the list?

My guess why I-70 isn't being looked at for 80 MPH is terrain/road quality. I recall driving along I-70 in 2007 (yes, that's a while ago) and some spots were quite rough and uneven. It might have something to do with the distances between towns, and, therefore, maintainance stations.

That said, I don't know why parts east of Green River aren't considered, either.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Sykotyk

I-70 would be a bad choice. Between the mountain crossing to the west, the San Raphael Swell, the only decent spot would be when US191 multiplexes with I-70 east of Green River.

I-80 between Wendover and near Magna would be primed for 80mph (almost entirely straight and flat and even advises people about not falling asleep while driving).

agentsteel53

Quote from: Sykotyk on February 05, 2013, 08:40:42 PM
I-70 would be a bad choice. Between the mountain crossing to the west, the San Raphael Swell, the only decent spot would be when US191 multiplexes with I-70 east of Green River.

I-80 between Wendover and near Magna would be primed for 80mph (almost entirely straight and flat and even advises people about not falling asleep while driving).

easiest way to keep them from falling asleep?

no speed limit.

minimum speed 100mph.

have fun, boys and girls.

jake@aaroads.com

corco

Sorry to necro, but I drove I-84/I-15 from Idaho down to SLC today and I can confirm that the 80 zones have been expanded on I-84 from Idaho all the way to the first Brigham City exit after it merges with I-15. I'd assume I-15 from Idaho south is 80 now too.

No new signs, they just slapped "80" labels over the old 75s.   

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

thenetwork

And once again, UDOT gives the stretch of I-70 (particularly the segment between Green River and Colorado) the love that only an ugly red-headed stepchild is said to deserve.
Honorable mention to the I-70/US-89 multiplex between Salina and Richfield.

That stretch is flat, straight and has low traffic counts -- it's the West Texas of Utah, and yet no love or attention.

Revive 755

Molandfreak

Quote from: thenetwork on September 29, 2013, 09:55:59 AM
And once again, UDOT gives the stretch of I-70 (particularly the segment between Green River and Colorado) the love that only an ugly red-headed stepchild is said to deserve.
Honorable mention to the I-70/US-89 multiplex between Salina and Richfield.

That stretch is flat, straight and has low traffic counts -- it's the West Texas of Utah, and yet no love or attention.
Well shoot, I thought it would be for continuity reasons with Colorado's side, but it looks like right as you cross the border, the terrain changes back to mountains.

Quote from: Revive 755 on September 29, 2013, 11:50:43 AM
Quote from: 1 on September 29, 2013, 09:27:31 AM
Also, why does mile 135-144 stay below 80?

I recall there being some decent grades in that section.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=utah&hl=en&ll=38.681222,-112.464638&spn=0.227004,0.528374&sll=39.739318,-89.266507&sspn=14.297245,33.815918&hnear=Utah&t=p&z=12
Correct. UDOT seems to only allow the straightest, lowest grade sections of interstate to be signed with the 80 mph limit.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

vdeane

I'm surprised I-70 didn't get raised to 80.  It's big and, within Utah at least, goes nowhere.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

thenetwork

Quote from: vdeane on September 29, 2013, 07:22:06 PM
I'm surprised I-70 didn't get raised to 80.  It's big and, within Utah at least, goes nowhere.

There's not enough Utes along I-70 to complain about the lack of 80 MPH zones, especially on the eastern side of the state!   :biggrin:

Henry

Perhaps the bordering states may follow suit?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

corco

QuotePerhaps the bordering states may follow suit?

I'd like to see it, but I doubt Idaho does. In the last decade they've lowered a bunch of speed limits I can think of and haven't raised any that I can think of.

agentsteel53

Quote from: corco on September 30, 2013, 02:58:53 PM

I'd like to see it, but I doubt Idaho does. In the last decade they've lowered a bunch of speed limits I can think of and haven't raised any that I can think of.

I seem to recall the speed limit on I-84 through Boise being 75mph.  am I imagining that, or did they drop it to 65?

jake@aaroads.com

corco

QuoteI seem to recall the speed limit on I-84 through Boise being 75mph.  am I imagining that, or did they drop it to 65?

I think it was 75 briefly in the late 90s, but it's been 65 for a really long time now.

agentsteel53

Quote from: corco on October 01, 2013, 01:03:49 AM
QuoteI seem to recall the speed limit on I-84 through Boise being 75mph.  am I imagining that, or did they drop it to 65?

I think it was 75 briefly in the late 90s, but it's been 65 for a really long time now.

I recall this from 2003.  maybe I'm totally imagining it.

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.