News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Utah may expand 80-mph zones

Started by 1995hoo, February 05, 2013, 09:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corco

2003 might be the date. They did some major reconstruction on I-84 in the summer of 2003 (I remember this because I was in driver's ed in Boise at the time and was driving through road construction on the freeway), so it's possible that in spring 03 the limit was still 75. I'm certain that after that point it was always 65. 

thenetwork

Here is the latest update on the progress in adding more 80 MPH zones in Utah, which oddly enough is Utah House Bill 80:

http://www.claimsjournal.com/news/west/2014/02/14/244518.htm

Things are moving right along.  Now if they would only consider I-70 east of Green River as an 80 MPH zone.  :poke:

Rover_0

Quote from: thenetwork on February 15, 2014, 08:48:58 PM
Here is the latest update on the progress in adding more 80 MPH zones in Utah, which oddly enough is Utah House Bill 80:

http://www.claimsjournal.com/news/west/2014/02/14/244518.htm

Things are moving right along.  Now if they would only consider I-70 east of Green River as an 80 MPH zone.  :poke:

These are planned for Interstates only, right? I'm not sure where else you could raise the speed limit, at least to the extent of any 80 MPH zones that have already been established.

I-70/(US-6/50/191) east of Green River should be one of the top candidates for an 80 MPH zone.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

agentsteel53

interstate 80 is 80mph from exit 77 (if not further east) to exit 48 (if not further west). 

certain two-lane routes could be 75.  196 heading north from Dugway Proving Grounds for example.  nobody on that road.  literally.  I didn't see another car on the entire length.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

andy3175

More info on the effort to expand the 80 mph zones:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/57579572-90/mph-utah-bill-speed.html.csp

QuoteA bill to vastly expand 80 mph speed limits on the state's freeways crossed the legislative finish line Friday (2/21/14). The Senate voted 21-4 to approve the appropriately named HB80 and sent it to Gov. Gary Herbert for his signature.

QuoteLast year, Utah added 289 extra miles of 80 mph stretches on selected parts of rural freeways. The new bill would expand such zones to any freeway or limited-access divided highways where the Utah Department of Transportation finds that higher speeds make engineering sense. In addition, if officials believe speeds should not rise all the way to 80 in some urban sections, the bill would permit raising them from the current 65 mph to 70 mph or 75 mph. Utah currently allows 65 mph on urban freeways, while 75 is the default on rural freeways – with 80 on select segments.

QuoteThe Utah Department of Transportation and Dunnigan initially testified this year that no fatalities had occurred in the 80 mph zones. But The Salt Lake Tribune subsequently learned and reported that at least 16 fatalities had occurred there, although UDOT said most were not speed-related and likely would have happened whether or not the speed limit changed.

Regards,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Haeleus

At least most of the western states have 75 mph limits, which as a Canadian I appreciate when I go road tripping...wish they'd raise the limits beyond 100 km/h here in Ontario.

That said, I've been on the 80 mph stretch of I-15 and frankly, after visiting Europe and driving on much narrower freeways at at least 120 km/h, it was nice to see Utah considering testing higher limits.

doorknob60

Quote from: Haeleus on June 13, 2014, 08:04:29 PM
At least most of the western states have 75 mph limits, which as a Canadian I appreciate when I go road tripping...wish they'd raise the limits beyond 100 km/h here in Ontario.

That said, I've been on the 80 mph stretch of I-15 and frankly, after visiting Europe and driving on much narrower freeways at at least 120 km/h, it was nice to see Utah considering testing higher limits.

As an Oregonian, I feel your pain. Similar situation here. 55 mph on any non-interstate, and 65 mph on interstates. East of the Cascades though, nobody cares. Drivers, cops, everyone knows it's bullshit. Maybe less so on the interstates (keep it below 75), but on the rural two lanes, it's a complete joke. I drove about 73 almost the entire way from Bend to Marsing, ID (US-20, OR-78, US-95) other than through towns and within 20 miles of Bend (cops like to hang out in the section near Bend, but will only pull you over for 65+; my friend got a warning here for 70, even with Washington plates). Passed two state troopers the whole way, neither one cared (although one of them I passed at about 50 mph, just pulled back onto the highway after a bathroom break; the other I passed at about 70).

corco

Quote from: doorknob60 on June 16, 2014, 01:59:14 PM

As an Oregonian, I feel your pain. Similar situation here. 55 mph on any non-interstate, and 65 mph on interstates. East of the Cascades though, nobody cares. Drivers, cops, everyone knows it's bullshit. Maybe less so on the interstates (keep it below 75), but on the rural two lanes, it's a complete joke. I drove about 73 almost the entire way from Bend to Marsing, ID (US-20, OR-78, US-95) other than through towns and within 20 miles of Bend (cops like to hang out in the section near Bend, but will only pull you over for 65+; my friend got a warning here for 70, even with Washington plates). Passed two state troopers the whole way, neither one cared (although one of them I passed at about 50 mph, just pulled back onto the highway after a bathroom break; the other I passed at about 70).

Something I notice about driving in eastern Oregon that is different from most of the non-coastal west is that cars like to stick together. Drive in Idaho or Eastern Washington or Nevada or Montana or any other western state, and people tend to not want to be near other cars on rural highways- people either pass or lay off. Oregon, I think because of its low speed limits, encourages folks to clump together in blocks of speeding cars. A few weeks ago, I was on 97 north of Madras going about 75 in a line of 6-7 cars, all of us presumably protecting each other from the cops. To me, that's way more dangerous than setting the speed limit at something sensible and folks spacing out accordingly (honestly, I would have probably gone 70 if i were driving by myself and speed limits weren't a factor, but I wanted to keep up with the cop protection block, so drove faster than I would have under normal circumstances), but that's what happens in Oregon in my experiences.

andy3175

While not directly tied to the 80 mph zones, Utah added 70 mph zones on its urban freeways in December 2014...

http://www.sltrib.com/news/1922845-155/70-mph-speed-limit-now-official

QuoteUtah Department of Transportation crews installed Monday new 70 mph speed limit signs on urban interstate freeways along the Wasatch Front, replacing the old 65 mph limit in most sections.

However, the Utah Highway Patrol is warning that it will strictly enforce the new limits. Col. Danny Fuhr, superintendent of the Highway Patrol, said it will target anyone for tickets who is traveling 75 mph or more.

The Legislature this year passed a law allowing UDOT to raise speed limits up to 80 mph on interstates where it figures it is safe.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

iBallasticwolf2

I feel the pain in Kentucky too. Non-freeway routes are always 55. Freeway routes in rural areas are at a meager 70. Urban freeways are 65. And urban core freeways are 55. Some freeways in Kentucky could use 75 mph speed limits. Especially routes that are interstate standard. I could think I-75 between Lexington and the I-75 and I-71 split could be 75. I-75 between I-265 and I-75 could be mostly 75. Also I-65 outside of Bowling Green, Elizabethtown, and Louisville could be 75. I can't think of any expressway grade roads that aren't mountainis or super-two (AA Highway) that could have a raised speed limit except the tiny stretches of US 119/US 52 cutting over from WV. Those should be 60 or 65 for those short periods of time. If the AA highway is upgraded to an  expressway grade road the new sections and the existing sections south of US 27 could be 60 (Not 65 because of alot of hills).
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

jeffandnicole

As an Oregonian, I feel your pain. Similar situation here. 55 mph on any non-interstate, and 65 mph on interstates. East of the Cascades though, nobody cares. Drivers, cops, everyone knows it's bullshit. Maybe less so on the interstates (keep it below 75)...

Really? Even that is a joke. In way more densely populated New Jersey, generally they allow up to 79 mph in a 65. Maybe even faster on the NJ Turnpike.

doorknob60

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 17, 2015, 10:58:48 PM

As an Oregonian, I feel your pain. Similar situation here. 55 mph on any non-interstate, and 65 mph on interstates. East of the Cascades though, nobody cares. Drivers, cops, everyone knows it's bullshit. Maybe less so on the interstates (keep it below 75)...

Really? Even that is a joke. In way more densely populated New Jersey, generally they allow up to 79 mph in a 65. Maybe even faster on the NJ Turnpike.
I've never gotten a ticket, but I'm just going on observations. On I-84 in eastern Oregon, anything below 80 is probably fine, but between Portland and The Dalles and on I-5 between Portland and Eugene I'd be wary of going above 75 (not saying I don't do it sometimes). I imagine those are more heavily patrolled areas. In Eastern Oregon they don't really care as much.

thenetwork

I got word from a coworker that I-70 has FINALLY got the 80 MPH speed limit at least from the Colorado border and west toward Green River.  About freakin time!!!

US 41

I wish Illinois would raise some of their 2 lane highways to at least 60 if not 65. US 36 between Tuscola and the Indiana state line is the flattest, straightest, and the boringest road. I try to drive the speed limit all the time, but I often find myself going 60 or 65 on that road. It's hard to keep my speed down, especially after driving 70 mph on I-57.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Kniwt

The 80mph zone on I-15 in southern Utah is expanding a bit, and other speed limits are changing, Fox 13 in Salt Lake City reports:
http://fox13now.com/2015/11/13/speed-limits-on-i-15-to-increase-in-and-around-st-george/

Quotethe speed from mile post 16 to 24 will go up from 75 to 80 mph.

Also, the speed limit from the Arizona line to mile 4 will drop from 75 to 70 (the linked article is wrong on this point), and the speed limit from mile 4 to mile 11 will increase from 65 to 70.

triplemultiplex

I must not have been following this thread when the link about urban 70 mph was posted because I was surprised to see it on my current trip to Utah.
I-215 on the west side is a little too rough at that speed for my comfort.  The pavement is getting pretty bad.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.