Where do we need interstates?

Started by Voyager, January 20, 2009, 06:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on February 08, 2009, 04:53:04 PM
Quote from: froggie on February 07, 2009, 11:02:12 PM
QuoteYeah, I must agree... US-17 could use an upgrade here in VA too.

Only from about Gloucester south...
Heh, you must not have driven it recently!  :-D Just drove up to Gloucester today and was stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic the whole way, most of which continued on past where I turned off for Gloucester C.H. And recently when I drove up US-17 to Fredericksburg, I remember the road being pretty clogged with traffic the whole way... thus I now take I-95 every time. It's faster due to less traffic.

Quote from: geoking111I-89  Since many other turnpikes have interstate status, I think Florida's Turnpike should also receive an interestate number. (as long as it is up to interstate standards) Since there are no numbers left between 75 and 95, i would duplicate I-89. The northern I-89 would be quite far from the southern I-89. Additionally, the northern I-89 is a minor interstate that doesn't travel to many populated areas. The northern I-89 doesn't even touch I-95, so there would be no confusion. I would also make some of florida's other toll roads into 3dis.
One problem with this: Existing turnpikes with interstate designation were grandfathered in. New toll roads cannot be interstates, and existing interstates cannot be toll roads. And I believe it is preferred for new 2dis to actually go inter-state.  ;-)
If that was true, then why are they proposing I-7 (I-9?), I-41 and I-3?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

FLRoads

Quote from: geoking111 on February 08, 2009, 01:19:14 PM
I-89  Since many other turnpikes have interstate status, I think Florida's Turnpike should also receive an interestate number. (as long as it is up to interstate standards) Since there are no numbers left between 75 and 95, i would duplicate I-89. The northern I-89 would be quite far from the southern I-89. Additionally, the northern I-89 is a minor interstate that doesn't travel to many populated areas. The northern I-89 doesn't even touch I-95, so there would be no confusion. I would also make some of florida's other toll roads into 3dis.

If it were possible to designate Florida's Turnpike, it would be cool to designate it Interstate 91.  For one, that number would fit into the current system like your Interstate 89 would.  Second, the Turnpike is silently designated as Florida 91, so Interstate 91 could be a more feasible number.  Either designation will never happen though, but its always nice to dream... 

John

I-7/9 would be CA/Old US 99 from Wheeler Ridge (the South end) to Sacramento via the Central Valley.
They came, they went, they took my image...

Gridlock

A couple of new proposals:

1)  extend I-30 NW from Little Rock, AR via US67, hooking up with I-55 in Missouri around I-155 or I-57.  this would help the extreme truck traffic on I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis

2) create I-18 heading SE from Jackson, MS (I-20/I-55 vicinity) along US 49 to Hattiesburg, then US 98 to Mobile, AL and perhaps a new crossing of Mobile bay and ending at I-10 east of Mobile.  this would help I-20 traffic getting to Florida w/o having to fight thru Atlanta and also shorter route

3) extend I-49 southeast of I-10 along US 90 to I-10 in New Orleans.  would provide a much needed alternate way in and out of the city.

4) complete TN 385 around Memphis as I-640 providing an outer beltway on north and east sides and additional Miss River crossing

5) extend I-540 from Bentonville, AR to Kansas City, via US 71, perhaps connecting to I-29 and renaming it I-29

I also concur with

1)  extend I-45 from Dallas to Tulsa via US 75
2)  upgrade US 290 from Houston to Austin to I-?
3)  extend I-40 in CA from I-15 to I-5 via CA 58
4) upgrade CA99 to I-9
5) upgrade CA 14 from I-5 to CA 58 as I-705

Scott5114

Quote from: Gridlock on February 09, 2009, 11:31:52 PM

[...]

5) extend I-540 from Bentonville, AR to Kansas City, via US 71, perhaps connecting to I-29 and renaming it I-29

Not a particularly new idea.. the eventual plan for I-540 is to extend it north to Kansas City and south to Shreveport and call the whole mess I-49.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

FLRoads

Quote from: Gridlock on February 09, 2009, 11:31:52 PM

1)  extend I-30 NW from Little Rock, AR via US67, hooking up with I-55 in Missouri around I-155 or I-57.  this would help the extreme truck traffic on I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis

2) create I-18 heading SE from Jackson, MS (I-20/I-55 vicinity) along US 49 to Hattiesburg, then US 98 to Mobile, AL and perhaps a new crossing of Mobile bay and ending at I-10 east of Mobile.  this would help I-20 traffic getting to Florida w/o having to fight thru Atlanta and also shorter route

3) extend I-49 southeast of I-10 along US 90 to I-10 in New Orleans.  would provide a much needed alternate way in and out of the city.

4) complete TN 385 around Memphis as I-640 providing an outer beltway on north and east sides and additional Miss River crossing

I also concur with

1)  extend I-45 from Dallas to Tulsa via US 75
2)  upgrade US 290 from Houston to Austin to I-?
3)  extend I-40 in CA from I-15 to I-5 via CA 58
4) upgrade CA99 to I-9
5) upgrade CA 14 from I-5 to CA 58 as I-705

1)  extend I-30 NW from Little Rock, AR via US67, hooking up with I-55 in Missouri around I-155 or I-57.  this would help the extreme truck traffic on I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis: This has been proposed for years.  And by the way, you did mean NE, didn't ya?? ;)

3) extend I-49 southeast of I-10 along US 90 to I-10 in New Orleans.  would provide a much needed alternate way in and out of the city: This is actually another project that is in the works.  Several sections of US 90 have been upgraded to interstate standards and has been dubbed a I-49 extension corridor.

4) complete TN 385 around Memphis as I-640 providing an outer beltway on north and east sides and additional Miss River crossing: Also being built, but will be designated Interstate 269 once completed and once it is extended south and southwesterly into MS to connect with Interstate 69 at Interstate 55.

5) extend I-540 from Bentonville, AR to Kansas City, via US 71, perhaps connecting to I-29 and renaming it I-29: Also has been previously planned as an I-49 northern extension but will not happen for at least a decade or two, if ever.

TheStranger

Froggie: Isn't TN 385 part of the future Interstate 269?
Chris Sampang

geoking111

I like the idea of extending I-30 NE of Little Rock. It should be extended to I-55 and then absorb I-155's route ending  at I-69 in Dyersburg, TN.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: froggie on February 10, 2009, 06:32:35 PM
Quote1)  extend I-30 NW from Little Rock, AR via US67, hooking up with I-55 in Missouri around I-155 or I-57.  this would help the extreme truck traffic on I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis

Most of that I-40 truck traffic is continuing east into Tennessee, so your I-30 proposal would be of limited benefit to Little Rock-Memphis traffic.

Personally, I'd rather that that extension of US 67 from Little Rock northeastward become I-53, and I-30 multiplexed with I-40 east to Memphis, then rerouted over I-55, I-240 and the currently proposed I-22 to Birmingham. If you really want to dream, you could reroute I-20 from Meridian along the proposed I-85 "extension" to Montgomery and then along I-85 to Atlanta..but that would be quite a stretch.

Quote2) create I-18 heading SE from Jackson, MS (I-20/I-55 vicinity) along US 49 to Hattiesburg, then US 98 to Mobile, AL and perhaps a new crossing of Mobile bay and ending at I-10 east of Mobile.  this would help I-20 traffic getting to Florida w/o having to fight thru Atlanta and also shorter route

Two notes:

First, most through traffic between Jackson and Hattiesburg is continuing south to the Mississippi Gulf Coast...not southeast to Mobile.  So a Jackson-Gulfport Interstate would be more feasible, and is also proposed by MDOT (I'd personally number it I-155).

Second, that "I-20 traffic not having to fight through Atlanta" is part of the reason why the "I-85 Extension" in western Alabama is being pursued.  Nevermind that anyone who has half a clue how to read a map can see that there are plenty of adequate routes to follow to avoid Atlanta that do not require Interstate shields.

I would agree with Froggie on the greater importance of a Jackson-MSG interstate along US 49....and besides, isn't Mobile getting the proposed West Alabama tollway going to Muscle Shoals already?

And..see my last statement on the I-85 "extension".

Quote3) extend I-49 southeast of I-10 along US 90 to I-10 in New Orleans.  would provide a much needed alternate way in and out of the city.

Which would work better as either an I-10 relocation (my idea) or as I-6 (Darkangel's idea).

Which would only work if the Lafayette Metro Xpressway toll outer loop is built from I-10 near Scott/Duson southeastward to US 90/Future I-49 South near Youngsville.  Otherwise, I'd rather keep as I-49 for continuity's sake.

Quote4) complete TN 385 around Memphis as I-640 providing an outer beltway on north and east sides and additional Miss River crossing

TN 385 is in the process of being completed (minus a new river crossing...but two of those are being proposed elsewhere).  However, you'll have to find a new number because I-640 already exists in Tennessee (Knoxville area).

The Barret Pkwy and Collierville-Arlington Pkwy segments of TN 385, as Froggie mentioned, will be integrated into I-269. The remaining sections could become part of a proposed Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta interstate, but that is mostly a pipe dream.

And the bridge across the Mississippi in Memphis would probably be proposed as part of a realigned I-55 rather than a full loop around Memphis/Tunica.

Quote5) extend I-540 from Bentonville, AR to Kansas City, via US 71, perhaps connecting to I-29 and renaming it I-29

Proposed as an I-49 extension.

Generally a done deal, only awaiting the funding.

Anthony

brad2971

"I think Reno to Las Vegas would be an important link as well as Fort Worth to Denver via Amarillo."

We already have a nice lnterstate link from Denver to the Metroplex: It's called I-70 to I-135 to I-35 :) I-70 has the added benefit of having an AADT of less than 15K from the Strasburg exit (310) to I-135 (a distance of more than 390 miles).

Even if you have to see Amarillo on the way :-D, there's already an alternate route: I-25 to US87 to Amarillo. Only the part from I-25 to Clayton, NM is not already four-laned, and I'll bet you'll find that NMSHTD is more willing to get that stretch of road four-laned than CDOT is willing to four-lane US287.

Roadgeekteen

I-11 really needs to get built.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 22, 2017, 04:33:27 PM

Isn't it already in the process of getting built?   :confused:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on April 22, 2017, 05:37:23 PM

Sorry, I am really out of the loop.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 22, 2017, 05:43:13 PM

Well, this is as a good place as anyway to get back into the beltway loop!  :nod:

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on April 22, 2017, 05:47:34 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 22, 2017, 05:43:13 PM

Well, this is as a good place as anyway to get back into the beltway loop!  :nod:
Yeah, I used to be really into roads, but I fell out until joining this forum.

GaryV

Since Roadgeekteen revived this 8 year old thread, I read through it.

I notice NO ONE proposed any Interstate along the I-2 corridor or the proposed(?) I-14 corridor in Texas.   Hmmm....

ColossalBlocks

They need to build an Interstate running along US 60 in Missouri, from the I-55/I-57 interchange to Springfield.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Bickendan

Quote from: NE2 on April 24, 2017, 09:44:27 AM
Along Broadway in NYC.
With direct connections to the 495 across Manhattan.

kphoger

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on April 24, 2017, 09:04:19 AM
They need to build an Interstate running along US 60 in Missouri, from the I-55/I-57 interchange to Springfield.

US-60 is just fine the way it is, now that it's four lanes all the way between those two points.  I really don't see freeway-izing it being much of an improvement.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

RobbieL2415

I think its time to start talks about an Interstate for the Delmarva Peninsula.  US-13 is consistently overcrowded, especially during the summer months with traffic trying to access VA Beach and Outer Banks.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: kphoger on April 24, 2017, 02:49:48 PM
Quote from: ColossalBlocks on April 24, 2017, 09:04:19 AM

US-60 is just fine the way it is, now that it's four lanes all the way between those two points.  I really don't see freeway-izing it being much of an improvement.

I have experience with that part of 60...and it absolutely doesn't need an upgrade, as much as I would (have) liked one to happen. In fact, it almost seems like an Interstate at points (especially closer to Springfield). I've talked to locals about it, and a significant majority wants nothing to be done [to U.S. 60]. :cool:

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on April 24, 2017, 08:22:15 PM
I think its time to start talks about an Interstate for the Delmarva Peninsula.  US-13 is consistently overcrowded, especially during the summer months with traffic trying to access VA Beach and Outer Banks.
In my opinion, 97 should become 995 so 97 can be used for this peninsula.

SP Cook

Since this old thread is back, IMHO:

- I don't really care about the numbering plan.  We have 1000 "fictional highways" threads that are born not really of societal needs but some desire to make the numbers work out. 

- I don't really care about renumbering US or state routes, or named toll roads, that are de facto interstates already.  Yes, there are people who do all of their inter-regional travel on interstates only, even when a different route makes more sense.  These are called dumb people. 

So, thus, to me, the question is looking at the USA of the mid 50s to early 60s, when the interstates were mostly mapped out, and the USA of today, how is it different?  In other words, if you were starting from scratch today, how would the system be different?

Obviously the major differences are that the nation has moved south and west, and seems now to be moving up into the Rockies (time will tell), included as a part of this is a much greater population along the southern coasts.   And suburbs have grown, some so large that the city's beltway or bypass has become urbanized and no longer serves the original purpose of allowing thru traffic to bypass the congested urbanized area totally.   

Therefore:

- I-10 somewhere just west of Jacksonville to I-75 near Gainesville.

- Extension of I-20 to Myrtle Beach.

-  A new interstate east of I-95 starting north of Savannah through Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Wilmington, Jacksonville, Greenville, ending in Norfolk.

- A further out bypass of Atlanta, DFW, Nashville (N-S) and Washington-Baltimor allowing the thru motorist to expect to cruise at or above the SL without encounting urban traffic.

- Kingman AZ to Las Vegas.

- Fort Myers to Orlando.

- Montgomery to I-10 about midway between Tallahassee and Pensacola.

- Houston to Brownsville.

- Norfolk to Dover via Ocean City and Lewes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.