News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

State (or County) Line Roads

Started by Darkchylde, June 27, 2013, 04:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

There's one about 10 minutes south, PA 163.

Technically, half of it is in Maryland, but it seems Maryland doesn't recognize the route. The SB exit ramp and NB entrance ramp is in PA. The NB exit and SB entrance is MD. It's about 100 feet north of the Mason Dixon Line, but if you were determined you could get two tape measures and extend it into MD.

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

brycecordry

Not sure if anyone has said, but Van-Kal Rd. separates Van Buren County from Kalamazoo County in Southwest Michigan.
A freeway is a freeway. We could cheaply build many new Interstates if it weren't for the nitty-gritty intricacy of Interstate Standards.

epzik8

Just today I was driving on "Line Road", whose name refers to the Mason-Dixon Line, but isn't situated right on the line - it's got a small segment in Maryland, with the rest of the road being in Peach Bottom Township, York County, Pennsylvania.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

sandwalk

While not a state or county line, Halfway Road west of Norwalk, Ohio is halfway between the Indiana and Pennsylvania state lines (approximately 111 miles).

Map: https://goo.gl/maps/RUXjUh1sjj12

jflick99

Wyandotte County, KS has their numbered streets run N/S, while the rest of the KC metro has their numbered streets run E/W, and these numbering systems clash at the Johnson County line. The street that runs along the line is County Line Road on the Wyandotte side and 47th Street on the Johnson side. This makes for a confusing intersection when it runs into WY's 47th Street.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0440814,-94.6864845,3a,90y,272.25h,73.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1siqSKZQeKxi5SXykKEo-YhA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

47th St runs north from here, Antioch Rd runs south, and County Line Rd/47th St runs E/W. To add to the confusion, the Merriam/Overland Park city line is along Antioch. Merriam has their blue street signs, OP has big green signs, and KCK has small green signs.

sbeaver44

Looks like PA 851 runs the PA/MD border for a short length east of Fawn Grove.  Where PA 851 turns north at Constitution Road, GMaps has the continuation signed as MD 624.  However, I don't recall seeing MD 624 signage there.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Bitmapped on December 06, 2016, 08:17:13 PM
There are also some US Forest Service-maintained forest roads along the Virginia/West Virginia state line in Pocahontas and Pendleton counties.

There is one that bounces back and forth across the line between Highland County, Virginia and Pocahontas County, West Virginia (on the West Virginia side, much of the land is within the Monongahela National Forest).

That would be unpaved VA-601, which runs south off of U.S. 250 east of the state line.  It is the only public road I have ever seen in the Commonwealth which has a sign stating that it is not plowed during the winter season (it appears to serve three homes, two in Virginia, one in West Virginia). It goes into West Virginia at least once (on the West Virginia side it is (in theory) maintained by the Forest Service), but appears to be maintained by VDOT, at least up to the point where VDOT maintenance ends in front of a house apparently on the West Virginia side of the line and a trailer on the Virginia side (and there's a locked gate, but the road appears to continue south as FR-55).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Buck87

We have quite a few county line roads in the Bellevue, Ohio area:

- On the Huron/Sandusky county line is Northwest/Southwest Street within the city of Bellevue
- On the Erie/Sandusky county line is Northwest Rd, which is the continuance of Northwest St north of Bellevue
- On the Huron/Seneca county line is OH 269, which is the continuance of Southwest St south of Bellevue
- On the Sandusky/Seneca county line is the only one that the locals actually call "County Line Rd." It is signed as CR 113 on the Sandusky County side (since it was once part of OH 113) and CR 62 on the Seneca County side, and it dead ends on OH 269 at a tri-county point on the south edge of Bellevue
- On the Erie/Huron county line there is not an east/west road starting at the tri-county point of the north edge of Bellevue, but just a few miles to the east of town there is a section of OH 113 that runs on that county line for few miles.

The City of Bellevue itself sits almost evenly half and half in Huron and Sandusky Counties, with a small portion that extends into Erie County and two short stretches where the city limits butt right up against but not into Seneca County. The Bellevue school district, zip code, phone exchange and fire distrct all extend well into all 4 counties.

vtk

Quote from: Buck87 on March 05, 2017, 05:10:09 PM
On the Sandusky/Seneca county line is the only one that the locals actually call "County Line Rd." It is signed as CR 113 on the Sandusky County side (since it was once part of OH 113) and CR 62 on the Seneca County side, and it dead ends on OH 269 at a tri-county point on the south edge of Bellevue

And the railroad calls it (or, at least, the spot where it crosses the tracks just west of 269) Kenny Rd. I have no idea where that name comes from.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Buck87

Quote from: vtk on March 06, 2017, 06:35:04 PM
Quote from: Buck87 on March 05, 2017, 05:10:09 PM
On the Sandusky/Seneca county line is the only one that the locals actually call "County Line Rd." It is signed as CR 113 on the Sandusky County side (since it was once part of OH 113) and CR 62 on the Seneca County side, and it dead ends on OH 269 at a tri-county point on the south edge of Bellevue

And the railroad calls it (or, at least, the spot where it crosses the tracks just west of 269) Kenny Rd. I have no idea where that name comes from.

No idea where that comes from either...and I think it's a strange choice for a name considering there's a Kinney Street nearby that crosses the Fostoria line, which certainly lead to confusion the first time I heard County Line Rd called "Kenny Rd." Not sure what the railroad calls Kinney St, though that entire road/street has an interesting route and naming setup, being called Kinney St at one end, Slaughterhouse Rd at the other end, with the little part in between that turns several times having a different township road number for each section. 

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 05, 2017, 09:48:18 AM
Quote from: Bitmapped on December 06, 2016, 08:17:13 PM
There are also some US Forest Service-maintained forest roads along the Virginia/West Virginia state line in Pocahontas and Pendleton counties.

There is one that bounces back and forth across the line between Highland County, Virginia and Pocahontas County, West Virginia (on the West Virginia side, much of the land is within the Monongahela National Forest).

That would be unpaved VA-601, which runs south off of U.S. 250 east of the state line.  It is the only public road I have ever seen in the Commonwealth which has a sign stating that it is not plowed during the winter season (it appears to serve three homes, two in Virginia, one in West Virginia). It goes into West Virginia at least once (on the West Virginia side it is (in theory) maintained by the Forest Service), but appears to be maintained by VDOT, at least up to the point where VDOT maintenance ends in front of a house apparently on the West Virginia side of the line and a trailer on the Virginia side (and there's a locked gate, but the road appears to continue south as FR-55).

There's a similar situation with another road (coincidentally enough, another SR 601) in Loudoun County. The route passes through a sliver of West Virginia, then is generally along the state line until it ends.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

bzakharin

Quote from: empirestate on November 15, 2016, 05:28:54 PM
Could it be that it leads to a locality named State Line?

Also, not to hijack but I just thought of something else: any roads that follow a certain boundary but are named for a lower-order boundary instead? For example, a road along a county line called Town Line Road, or along a state line called County Line Road?

iPhone
City [Line] Avenue is between Philadelphia and Montgomery counties, so it is a county line, but Philadelphia the city is coterminous with Philadelphia County, so I suppose it's not a great example.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on March 07, 2017, 12:58:36 PM
There's a similar situation with another road (coincidentally enough, another SR 601) in Loudoun County. The route passes through a sliver of West Virginia, then is generally along the state line until it ends.

Yes, I am familiar with that one too.  Years ago, there was an official WVDOH sign at the state line with a county route number (Google Maps says it is CR 35) and the name of the road (Raven Rocks Road), but there is no trace left of the sign now, and given that the road is only in West Virginia for a few feet, it does not seem worth replacing.   Apparently Loudoun County, Va. responds to all emergencies here, even on the West Virginia side of the road, including calls for police service, since it could be a considerable wait for a Jefferson County, W.Va. deputy or West Virginia trooper to get there.  But children living on property in West Virginia are bused to school in Jefferson County proper, a one-way trip of over 18 miles to the nearest elementary school.

Both of the Route 601s have this in common - great views looking east, though the view from the Highland County version is much more commanding because of the higher elevation - around 4,000 feet AMSL - in Highland County compared to 1,400 feet AMSL in Loudoun County.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.