News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

State (or County) Line Roads

Started by Darkchylde, June 27, 2013, 04:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keithvh

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 28, 2013, 02:57:25 PM
Quote from: JCinSummerfield on June 28, 2013, 01:11:50 PM
State Line Rd between Lucas County, OH and Monroe County, MI is unique in the fact that it is off the border for most of its' length.  It drifts both north and south of the border, not in a straight line like the border.

I distinctly remember driving that road, looking for old signs because there is a 24 cutout nearby.

WTF?  why is it so incorrect?  it doesn't appear to a) follow a geographical feature, b) be the result of an old survey of the state line.

What an odd road --- there are a number of houses where half of the driveway is in Ohio, and the other half of the driveway (plus the house itself) is in Michigan!  And vice versa!

cpzilliacus

Quote from: oscar on June 27, 2013, 05:09:49 PM
Western Avenue along the D.C./Maryland border might qualify.  The street is entirely within D.C., but Maryland starts at the northern edge.

This causes headaches for Maryland residents living on the avenue, who can't get permits for street parking since D.C. owns the street and won't issue permits for non-District residents. 

Same holds true for Eastern Avenue, N.E. and N.W. and Southern Avenue, N.E. and S.E. The streets are entirely in D.C., but the curb on the Maryland side is (generally accepted) as the border, except that there is an Eastern Avenue "frontage" road in the City of Takoma Park, Montgomery County, Md. here that is entirely in Maryland. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

US71

Actually, I have a theory on this:

The sign assembly is ODOT, so I am thinking Oklahoma did this intentionally since OK 20 (and AR 43) becomes MO 43. Southbound, OK 20 is posted with AR 43 since the road eventually crosses into Arkansas.

But back on topic, there is a State Line Road north of Eureka Springs, AR.  It is Carroll County 242 and Table Lake Road P-1

There is also a State Line Road off US 371 north of Springhill, LA:

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

vtk

Quote from: keithvh on August 20, 2013, 09:14:16 PM
State Line Rd between Lucas County, OH and Monroe County, MI is unique in the fact that it is off the border for most of its' length.  It drifts both north and south of the border, not in a straight line like the border.

I distinctly remember driving that road, looking for old signs because there is a 24 cutout nearby.

WTF?  why is it so incorrect?  it doesn't appear to a) follow a geographical feature, b) be the result of an old survey of the state line.

What an odd road --- there are a number of houses where half of the driveway is in Ohio, and the other half of the driveway (plus the house itself) is in Michigan!  And vice versa!

Probably because the land was surveyed and settled before the current state border was established. Then the road aquired the name "state line rd" due to its proximity to the border, probably more than a century later.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

renegade

Quote from: keithvh on August 20, 2013, 09:14:16 PM

I grew up in this area ... a childhood friend of mine lived in one of those houses on the Michigan side.  He honestly believed that Ohio was this place that you had to ride for hours and hours and hours and hours to get to ... there was absolutely NO convincing him that Ohio was at the end of his driveway until he was 14 or so ...  :hmmm:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

6a

Our county line rd does a fine job at avoiding the county line damn near entirely.

golden eagle

We have a County Line Rd. in the Jackson area. The section east of I-55 is one of the busiest retail areas in the area, especially during holidays.

Someone mentioned State Line Rd. separating Memphis & Mississippi. Actually, that road lies a little bit south of the Tennessee line, but not by much. Still, it's entirely in MS.

1995hoo

There's a segment of Virginia and West Virginia Route 127 that appears on maps to run right on the state line for a short distance, but I don't know whether the state line runs down the middle or is located to one side. I drove on the segment last July and found the states' welcome signs were located near the western end of the segment (and then, to the west of those, there was a small business called "State Line Store"), which at least suggests the state line is to the south of the road.

Of course, given that West Virginia was originally part of Virginia, who knows whether there was a road there before the states separated.

Here's the location on a map: http://goo.gl/maps/GI3Dt
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

I think the line runs down the middle of the road in that location. I've driven it a couple of times.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

OCGuy81

Assuming it runs along the actual line, be it state our county, who maintains it?  Joint effort of the counties/states? 50/50 splits?

US71

Quote from: OCGuy81 on February 07, 2014, 06:19:59 PM
Assuming it runs along the actual line, be it state our county, who maintains it?  Joint effort of the counties/states? 50/50 splits?

My guess is one county maintains it (if it's a county road), but receives financial assistance from the other county.

OK20/AR(MO) 43 appears to be ODOT maintained, though the east side of the roadway has Benton County Road Blades.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

dgolub

In New York:

County Line Road (Suffolk CR 1)
Town Line Road (Suffolk CR 76)
Town Line Road (Rockland CR 42)

hotdogPi

I-86 at the Pennsylvania-New York border (between exits 3 and 4) has a State Line Rd. directly north of it, at least according to Google Maps. (Google Maps additionally calls it Stetson Rd.) Can anyone confirm both names?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

Road Hog

Quote from: US71 on February 07, 2014, 06:30:53 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on February 07, 2014, 06:19:59 PM

My guess is one county maintains it (if it's a county road), but receives financial assistance from the other county.

OK20/AR(MO) 43 appears to be ODOT maintained, though the east side of the roadway has Benton County Road Blades.

The states appear to have agreed to split the maintenance. North of Maysville, 43/20 appears to run just inside the OK side of the line. South of Maysville, it's a little more ambiguous in the short stretch where the road follows the border, and there's no OK signage.

dgolub

Here's a couple more that I forgot about last night.  There's Town Line Road along the border between the towns of Huntington and Smithtown in Suffolk County, New York.  There's also a street going along the New York City that's known as Hook Creek Boulevard on the Queens side and Ocean Avenue on the Nassau side.

TR69

Just ran across this today:

https://www.google.com/maps/@31.0217463,-85.3632169,13.75z

I know there have been a couple of instances of State Line Roads that meander slightly off of the actual state line already mentioned in this thread, but, wow, this one doesn't even try to pretend it's following a state line! I don't believe I've ever seen any other State Line Road that so blatantly does not follow a state line. (See the road angling southwest from Cottonwood to the Florida Welcome Station.)

Rather than being named State Line Road because it's on a state line, it's named that (I assume) because it takes traffic *to* a state line.

roadman

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 27, 2013, 04:15:33 PM
I think if you do a little driving on grass, you can execute an illegal border hop.

Which raises a question:  Which would be the more serious offense? :-D
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

empirestate

Could it be that it leads to a locality named State Line?

Also, not to hijack but I just thought of something else: any roads that follow a certain boundary but are named for a lower-order boundary instead? For example, a road along a county line called Town Line Road, or along a state line called County Line Road?

iPhone

coatimundi

The Llano Estacado has several state line roads due to its ultra-flat nature and the disconnect between the county road systems in NM and TX.
Roosevelt Road A, south of Texico, NM, is a state line road. It's marked on Google Maps as SR 348 but does not appear to be signed as such once it actually reaches the state line. So I'm not sure if it's still a "state line state route" but it is apparently still maintained by a New Mexico agency.

TR69

Quote from: coatimundi on November 15, 2016, 05:38:27 PM
Roosevelt Road A, south of Texico, NM, is a state line road. It's marked on Google Maps as SR 348 but does not appear to be signed as such once it actually reaches the state line. So I'm not sure if it's still a "state line state route" but it is apparently still maintained by a New Mexico agency.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.3841158,-103.0437584,3a,75y,347.26h,97.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sX_4W7X92kCoJ_1PKU2dSWQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.2892977,-103.0431518,3a,75y,276.67h,90.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4Ad6Z9v66QtUVoEwLaHa_g!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

epzik8

There are several Mason-Dixon Roads along the Mason-Dixon Line between Pennsylvania and Maryland.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

TheHighwayMan3561

MN/IA is mostly unbroken in terms of state line roads except across bodies of water that straddle the state line. US 75 curves to follow the line briefly as does MN 22 before it becomes an IA county route.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

mapman1071

Metro Phoenix

Hunt Highway Chandler Heights/Empire Blvd Queen Creek, Eastbound Pinal County/Westbound Maricopa County
Meridian Road Southbound in Maricopa County/Northbound In Pinal County

McClintock Drive Southbound Tempe/Northbound Salt River Pima-Maricopa Nation
Mckellips Road Eastbound SRPM Nation/Westbound Scottsdale
Pima Road  Northbound SRPM Nation/Southbound Scottsdale

MNHighwayMan

County Line Rd between Polk and Warren Counties in the Des Moines area can be pretty confusing, due to having two counties as well as being on the city limit in places.

The north side is in Polk County and is entirely within Des Moines city limits. Within the city grid, it can either be County Line Rd or E County Line Rd depending on which side of South Union St you're on.
The south side is in Warren County, and is only partially within city limits. The parts not within the city limits are all County Line Rd and have vastly different address ranges from those within the city (think in the 10000 range, versus in the 1-1000 range). So at one point you can be at 10000 County Line Rd but across the street it is 2 E County Line Rd. Fun stuff.

coatimundi

Quote from: TR69 on November 15, 2016, 10:46:47 PM
Quote from: coatimundi on November 15, 2016, 05:38:27 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.3841158,-103.0437584,3a,75y,347.26h,97.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sX_4W7X92kCoJ_1PKU2dSWQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.2892977,-103.0431518,3a,75y,276.67h,90.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4Ad6Z9v66QtUVoEwLaHa_g!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

The first link is directing traffic into New Mexico from the state line road, and that's the section that's known to be a state highway and is already signed.

The second is still there when you look at the newer GSV from the state line road. But what's weird is that it's not signed much further up the road, at FM 292. I don't know much about NM highways, so I don't know how to check on it. There may be a history behind this too, as far as who got maintenance on it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.