News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Metric Signage

Started by M86, June 14, 2014, 03:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M86

I used to live in South Dakota, and I remember seeing the odd split metric signs.
Sioux City, Iowa Journal did an article: http://siouxcityjournal.com/lifestyles/trends/how-fast-kilometers-on-union-county-s-d-signs-a/article_ea34b317-bb79-5614-9290-69ba46c6cb23.html

There were signs in the Aberdeen, South Dakota area... but they are long gone.

Here's a sign:  SD 42 (West 12th Street) in Sioux Falls:  http://goo.gl/maps/pDvEv

Road Hog

When I was a kid I remember seeing a "Nashville 100 mi/162 km" sign on I-40 eastbound. That sign is long gone.

US 41

I often wonder if the US will ever go full metric at some point in the future.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Road Hog

Quote from: US 41 on June 14, 2014, 08:28:46 PM

Probably will be a mix like the UK, where miles are still used but common store items will be sized metrically. Sodas have been sold in liters is the US for years, for example, and I'm seeing more and more items sized in round metric numbers (a 500-mL bottle of shampoo, for example). One thing I doubt will change is switching to the Celsius scale, and another is buying gas and milk by the U.S. gallon. Americans are notoriously set in our ways.

mrsman

Quote from: Road Hog on June 14, 2014, 08:35:46 PM
Quote from: US 41 on June 14, 2014, 08:28:46 PM

Probably will be a mix like the UK, where miles are still used but common store items will be sized metrically. Sodas have been sold in liters is the US for years, for example, and I'm seeing more and more items sized in round metric numbers (a 500-mL bottle of shampoo, for example). One thing I doubt will change is switching to the Celsius scale, and another is buying gas and milk by the U.S. gallon. Americans are notoriously set in our ways.

I tend to agree.  I don't think we'll ever see mileage being replaced for land measurement on highways, particularly because so much of the West and Midwest is based on perfect mile grids.  Think of Chicago, where every major street is exactly 1 mile apart.  It is so easy to say that Western is a mile west of Ashland which is a mile west of Halsted.  It's harder to say instead 1.61 km.

agentsteel53

Quote from: mrsman on June 18, 2014, 07:27:00 PM
I tend to agree.  I don't think we'll ever see mileage being replaced for land measurement on highways, particularly because so much of the West and Midwest is based on perfect mile grids.  Think of Chicago, where every major street is exactly 1 mile apart.  It is so easy to say that Western is a mile west of Ashland which is a mile west of Halsted.  It's harder to say instead 1.61 km.

how did Canada manage it?  don't they have a lot of old mile-based surveying as well?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Road Hog on June 14, 2014, 08:24:04 PM
When I was a kid I remember seeing a "Nashville 100 mi/162 km" sign on I-40 eastbound. That sign is long gone.

There were some on I-24 as well if I can recall.  New administration came in and took them down.  Some say it was too foreign.

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 18, 2014, 07:37:37 PM
Quote from: mrsman on June 18, 2014, 07:27:00 PM

how did Canada manage it?  don't they have a lot of old mile-based surveying as well?

They use a mixture of units.  Canada is not fully metric, and probably never will be (nor should it or us ever be).  The building trades (for example) have never switched.  Canadians use square feet, inches, etc for building structures.

Even out on the Prairies, miles are still given for distances due to the survey grid.

Personally, I see no real good reason to fully switch.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

algorerhythms

I'm sort of two minds on this subject: as a scientist I use metric units for all my measurements, so clearly that leads me to favor the metric system.

However, the original purpose of the metric system was to get rid of the ambiguity that traditional units had. When Isaac Newton was writing his works, he couldn't simply describe a measurement as, say, "10 feet". He had to specify which foot he was using to measure, because every city had their own definition. Most of that ambiguity has been removed since then, though there is still some ambiguity in volume measurements (e.g. the British pint vs. the American pint). At this point, though, if someone specifies a measurement in feet, it is unambiguous what they mean, which means the foot is not a problematic unit to use the way it was back in Newton's time. This is why I don't think the U.S. will ever give up the English system of units: with the ambiguity (mostly) having been removed, there's no longer a strong motivation to switch.

english si

Metric is a product of the Academic - abstract and unconnected to reality*, but great for calculations
Customary is a product of Industry - practical and worked out for specific purposes**, but the units are masters of one rather than jack of all trades (and varied from place to place as different people had different ways of doing tasks)

*seriously, the key definer being that a meter was 100 trillionths of the distance between the North Pole and the Equator via Paris - totally arrived by abstract calculation and totally arbitrary - deliberately something ridiculous and unimaginable to pretend it's more universal.
**and so the units are the right size for the task, or near enough, making numbers nicer. And you can estimate them easier as they aren't as aloof from reality.

Scott5114

I tend to use metric units when possible simply because I can't be arsed to squint at a ruler and determine which is the quarter inch mark and which is the eighth, or remember the arbitrary relationship between cups, pints, quarts and gallons–honestly, I can't remember whether a pint or a quart is bigger. If comparing unit prices, it's usually easier for me to use the metric conversions provided to determine the relative size of the packaging, and if none is provided on one of the possibilities, that one loses the sale for its obstinacy.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brandon

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 19, 2014, 03:26:23 PM
I tend to use metric units when possible simply because I can't be arsed to squint at a ruler and determine which is the quarter inch mark and which is the eighth, or remember the arbitrary relationship between cups, pints, quarts and gallons–honestly, I can't remember whether a pint or a quart is bigger. If comparing unit prices, it's usually easier for me to use the metric conversions provided to determine the relative size of the packaging, and if none is provided on one of the possibilities, that one loses the sale for its obstinacy.

The relationship between cups, pints, quarts, and gallons is not arbitrary.  A cup is 1/2 a pint, a pint is 1/2 a quart, a quart (hence the name) is 1/4 a gallon.  Hence, a cup is 1/4 a quart and 1/16 of a gallon.  All base 4 calculations.  It should also be pretty damn easy to figure out the difference between pints and quarts by looking in the milk aisle.

I find metric to be pretty damned arbitrary with regards to sizes and distances in the real world.  It looks great in theory, but imperial/customary (differences in the liquid ounce) is much better suited, IMHO, to the real world.  Metric is base 10 while imperial is base 4.  Base 4 is usually easier for people to comprehend (think, four main fingers on each hand).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

formulanone

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 18, 2014, 08:20:00 PM
Quote from: Road Hog on June 14, 2014, 08:24:04 PM

There were some on I-24 as well if I can recall.  New administration came in and took them down.  Some say it was too foreign.

I could swear there was one on I-75 southbound, just north of Chattanooga.

Roadrunner75

Delaware's Route 1 had kilometer markers and kilometer based exit numbers, when originally constructed in the 1990s.  I remember some kind of sign also noting this when it opened ("Delaware's first metric highway" or something like that).  I think the markers are now in miles, but the exit numbers remain in km.

algorerhythms

Quote from: Brandon on June 19, 2014, 03:54:13 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 19, 2014, 03:26:23 PM

The relationship between cups, pints, quarts, and gallons is not arbitrary.  A cup is 1/2 a pint, a pint is 1/2 a quart, a quart (hence the name) is 1/4 a gallon.  Hence, a cup is 1/4 a quart and 1/16 of a gallon.  All base 4 calculations.  It should also be pretty damn easy to figure out the difference between pints and quarts by looking in the milk aisle.

I find metric to be pretty damned arbitrary with regards to sizes and distances in the real world.  It looks great in theory, but imperial/customary (differences in the liquid ounce) is much better suited, IMHO, to the real world.  Metric is base 10 while imperial is base 4.  Base 4 is usually easier for people to comprehend (think, four main fingers on each hand).
If imperial were actually base-2 (or base-4, they're effectively equivalent), then there would be less of an issue. But it's only base-2 in volume measurements (except the tablespoon which for some reason is 3 teaspoons instead of 4...) But when you have to memorize that there's 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard, and 5280 feet in a mile (hey, the road sign says the lane ending is 2000 feet away. Quick, what fraction of a mile is that?), it becomes a bit less useful.

english si

I don't get why the US give high numbers of feet, rather than using yards, but the context specific units mean that you rarely have to remember the conversions, or at least are only working with 2 units at a time.

1995hoo

Quote from: english si on June 19, 2014, 06:14:05 PM
I don't get why the US give high numbers of feet, rather than using yards, but the context specific units mean that you rarely have to remember the conversions, or at least are only working with 2 units at a time.

About the only time I ever hear anyone using yards is when I watch (or play) golf or football.....or drive in the UK! I find yards alien. Yeah, I know there are three feet in a yard, but then, why not use leagues to avoid large numbers of miles?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

tdindy88

Quote from: formulanone on June 19, 2014, 04:11:51 PM

There was when I passed through there in 2010. It said Chattanooga 25 miles or 40 kms.

formulanone

Quote from: tdindy88 on June 19, 2014, 07:22:53 PM
Quote from: formulanone on June 19, 2014, 04:11:51 PM

There was when I passed through there in 2010. It said Chattanooga 25 miles or 40 kms.

Ah, there it is.

Brandon

Quote from: english si on June 19, 2014, 06:14:05 PM

Personally, I'd rather use links, rods, chains, and furlongs instead of feet and inches (or even yards).

There are 100 links to a chain, 10 chains to the furlong, and 8 furlongs to the mile, or 80 chains to the mile.

A rod is 1/4 of a chain or 25 links.

An acre is one chain by one furlong (10 chains).

Using these measures, all land breaks down very easily and evenly.

A chain, by the way, is 66 feet.  When you look at streets when they've been platted, they're typically 66 feet wide, and alleys are 16.5 feet wide.  In other words, a street is one chain wide, and an alley is one rod wide.

Regardless, a mile (which I think should be the basis for measurement on land) breaks down neatly using these measures.

GaryV

I think the US never took to the metric system in part because of they way they tried teaching it to us in school decades ago.  Instead of giving us metric rulers and such, they gave us math problems.  How many centimeters is 23 inches?  That's a multiplication problem, not a measurement problem.

Not adopting metric means we have to accommodate to having two standards.  Mechanics have to have two sets of tools to work on parts that are sized in metric or English, sometimes both on one product/device.  And NASA crashed a probe into Mars because someone used the wrong units in a calculation.

Incidentally, back when gas first shot above $1.00 per gallon, many stations had to sell by the liter.  That's because while gas pumps could be set to gallons or liters (so they could be used internationally), they didn't have the capability of going over 99.9 cents.  So we paid 30 or 40 cents per liter until the pumps could be retrofitted.

hotdogPi

It could be worse.

256 drams = 16 avoirdupois ounces = 1 avoirdupois pound = 7000 grains
12 troy ounces = 1 troy pound = 5760 grains

192 avoirdupois ounces = 175 troy ounces
144 avoirdupois pounds = 175 troy pounds
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

MSU John

If I'm not mistaken, the entirety of I-19 (from Tucson to Nogales, Arizona) is metric.

US 41

Quote from: MSU John on June 23, 2014, 04:57:51 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the entirety of I-19 (from Tucson to Nogales, Arizona) is metric.

That is true.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Avalanchez71

Quote from: US 41 on June 23, 2014, 05:25:31 PM
Quote from: MSU John on June 23, 2014, 04:57:51 PM

That is true.

Do the Mexicans have miles on the connecting route?  If not then why should we put up kilometers?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.