News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

US 59 freeway nearly complete

Started by route56, October 16, 2012, 01:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

route56

I'll just let the KDOT press release speak for itself... -RPK

PROJECT UPDATE! During the day on Wednesday, October 17, crews will complete work to remove traffic control in order to open the new 11.1-mile stretch of US-59 from south of Lawrence to the Douglas/Franklin County line. The new US-59 freeway (in Douglas County) will be OPENED to unrestricted traffic sometime by late afternoon/early evening this Wednesday, October 17, weather permitting.

There will still be varying lane closures on the new US-59 alignment as finishing and clean-up work is completed. Once the new highway alignment is open to traffic this Wednesday, crews will then begin work on rehabilitating the existing US-59 (or soon to be called old US-59). This project work includes replacing and rehabilitating structures and pavement as sections of the existing US-59 will remain as a local access/frontage road. The rehab work on the existing US-59 is scheduled to be completed in late summer 2013.

We appreciate your patience these past few years as this $145 million two-county US-59 freeway project was constructed. We know you will enjoy your drive on the newly completed US-59!

I also have these photos from the US 59 ribbon cutting back in September:
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

route56

Just took a little trip to the freeway to check up on their work.

There will still be some finishing touches to be done after the new freeway opens. The BGSs have yet to be installed, and I noticed that there were smaller orange signs right before the exits.

I'm also sure there will be lane closures at the north end, as well as near the Franklin County line, so that they can eradicate the temporary and interim crossovers. The next step will be to reconstruct the curves on what would then become the west frontage road near the County Road 460 interchange, along with whatever else KDOT needs to do before turning maintenance over to Douglas County.

I'll probably do a road video after the BGSs are installed.

R.P.K.

apeman33

When I click on the photos, I get 404s.

route56

R.P.K.

Scott5114

That mixed-case sign looks awesome.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Henry

Quote from: route56 on October 16, 2012, 01:07:56 AM

My guess is the one on the left was the old sign, and the one on the right is the replacement.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

route56

Quote from: Henry on October 17, 2012, 10:53:51 AM
Quote from: route56 on October 16, 2012, 01:07:56 AM

My guess is the one on the left was the old sign, and the one on the right is the replacement.
You would be correct.

R.P.K.

route56

Quote from: Kimberly Qualls
NOW OPEN! As of 11:00 a.m. TODAY, Wednesday, October 17, the new 11.1-mile US-59 freeway project in Douglas County is NOW OPEN to traffic! There are still some short-term southbound lane closures today as work continues to complete tie-ins and remove shooflys from existing US-59 to new US-59.

Enjoy your drive on the newly completed US-59!

I've already made the change in OSM, and have also changed my US 59 exit guide accordingly:

http://www.route56.com/exitguides/us59.html

R.P.K.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: route56 on October 17, 2012, 01:24:59 PM
I've already made the change in OSM, and have also changed my US 59 exit guide accordingly:

http://www.route56.com/exitguides/us59.html

Does anyone know what KDOT's rationale was behind leaving the at-grade intersections between CR 458/N 1000 Rd and K-10?  When I first heard of this project, I thought KDOT wanted to connect one freeway (I-35) to a theoretical future freeway (K-10) with a full freeway (US 59).  Are there plans to do this?  Is this contingent upon completion of the South Lawrence Trafficway project?
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

route56

Quote from: stridentweasel on October 17, 2012, 09:29:45 PM
Does anyone know what KDOT's rationale was behind leaving the at-grade intersections between CR 458/N 1000 Rd and K-10?  When I first heard of this project, I thought KDOT wanted to connect one freeway (I-35) to a theoretical future freeway (K-10) with a full freeway (US 59).  Are there plans to do this?  Is this contingent upon completion of the South Lawrence Trafficway project?

There has never been any suggestion that I know of to remove the at-grades north of N 1100 Road (which is where 59 previously transitioned from 4 lanes to 2)

Realistically, unless US 59 is re-routed through Lecompton, or a new Kansas River bridge is built near Grantville, the freeway will transition to expressway at its current location.

R.P.K.

US71

Quote from: stridentweasel on October 17, 2012, 09:29:45 PM

Maybe they're cheap? ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

route56

The temporary and interim crossovers have been eradicated, and the BGS's are finally in place. I may still be able to do a road video this quarter. No pictures attm... drove it early AM.

R.P.K.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.