News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

You Know You're A Roadgeek If...

Started by Michael, June 09, 2009, 04:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billtm

You tell your friend not to go to Penn State because I-99 is the most bs piece of highway you have seen bearing an Interstate highway shield. :bigass:

route56

Quote from: billtm on July 04, 2014, 10:40:53 AM
You tell your friend not to go to Penn State because I-99 is the most bs piece of highway you have seen bearing an Interstate highway shield. :bigass:

In light of the scandals that have plagued Penn State, I-99 is barely a blip on the radar....
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

hbelkins

... you see a news story on television with a state-named interstate shield, and you can't wait for it to be posted on the station's website so you can do a screen grab and post the pic on AA Roads.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

english si

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 03, 2014, 09:58:20 PM
Quote from: yakra on June 30, 2014, 11:56:24 PM
Or you're actually a data contributor for Clinched Highway Mapping :colorful:

Guilty on that charge. hahaha. :bigass:
You make .wpt files for systems you know will never be added to the browser just for the craic

You make fantasy .wpt files based on fantasy renumbering

PHLBOS

The only reason you watch the movie Saturday Night Fever is to see the old button-copy BGS' throughout NYC.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

thenetwork

...you only wanted to go to your city's Safety Town because they used real traffic light(s) and signs.

/I never got to go :(

vtk

You take pictures of road signs and maps seen on tv with your phone and tweet them
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

DaBigE

You see the BGS in the backdrop of The Fluffy Story and can't wait to see how many people critique it on the forum, or discuss Gabriel's Indian traffic experiences he uses in one of his sketches in the movie.

note that is not a typo, I mean the country not the state
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

SSOWorld

you get in the car, go somewhere but end up nowhere (as in just driving around)
You can recognize patterns and sayings in route numbering (or lettering in the case of WI and MO)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

on_wisconsin

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on February 19, 2014, 08:28:57 PM
You go to other sites for pictures and humor...and see some of NE2's road sign avatar instead! :)

You know your a roadgeek when: http://goo.gl/maps/Yfvku :)
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

adventurernumber1

You know you're a Roadgeek when...

Your Social Studies teacher gets mad at your for drawing all the interstates on a map of Georgia when you're only supposed to label large landmarks you were not supposed to know years before he "taught" you  :bigass:

When you plead your dad to let you sit in the front of a shuttle van on a vacation taken by plane. (But does anyone really want to sit in the front more than a Roadgeek? I think not  :banghead: )

When over 75% of your iPhone storage is taken up by road videos in the camera roll.

When the front page in your Spanish binder at school says "NEXT EXIT: Spanish Class: 1/2 MILLA (that's Mile in Spanish).

When everyone is staring at you awkwardly on a long bus trip because you're wide awake the whole time staring at the road and taking pictures.

When you know the entire interstate system before your mom knows the numbering of the roads she does her daily commute on.

When you're wallpapers on the lock screens on your phone & laptop are BGS.

When your great aunt looks confused and is gasping after you list all the roads you went on on a long roadtrip.

When your room is full of old notebooks you drew roads in and has highway shields on the wall.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

bing101

You are a roadgeek when you are anal in term of how the control cities sign look and route shields look.

signalman

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 27, 2014, 05:11:19 PM
you get in the car, go somewhere but end up nowhere (as in just driving around)
I've been doing this a lot lately to both break in my new car and to photograph the road and signs on roads that I don't regularly use.

Roadrunner75

.....if when talking about an upcoming vacation your friends say "Your 'vacation' doesn't count because all you're gonna do is drive around the whole time.  I feel sorry for your wife and kid..."

roadman

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on August 22, 2014, 10:42:46 PM
When you plead your dad to let you sit in the front of a shuttle van on a vacation taken by plane. (But does anyone really want to sit in the front more than a Roadgeek? I think not  :banghead: )
I worked for a temp service for about a year after getting out of college.  As I didn't have a car at the time, my first two assignments involved taking the temp service's shuttle van.  Because getting to and from these assignments involved traveling on Interstate 93 to Boston (first assignment) and on Interstate 95 (nee MA 128) to Burlington (second assignment), I made it a point of getting to the temp agency early enough so I got dibs on the front passenger seat (the other advantage of this was that I didn't have to ride in the back of the van with the smokers).

After my second assignment ended, I was fortunate enough to land a long term assignment at the GE Lynn (MA) River Works aircraft engine plant, which was on the MBTA bus route that I could board near my parent's house.  So I no longer needed to use their shuttle van.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

briantroutman

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on August 22, 2014, 10:42:46 PM

Can anyone offer an explanation as to why everyone wants to sit up front in the car–sitting in the back seat is like being relegated to the kids table at Thanksgiving–but for some reason, it's "uncool"  to sit up front on a bus? Didn't we have a major civil rights incident in this country about people who wanted to sit in the front of the bus?

Riding on a bus is miserable enough, but sitting in the back and having no view of where you are or where you're going–is maddening, in my opinion.

1995hoo

You know you're a roadgeek when you're reading a newspaper article about the mayors of DC and Baltimore talking about the possibility of the Nationals and Orioles meeting in the World Series and, when you see the following statement from DC's Mayor Gray, you immediately note his error (boldface in original, italics added, comments from Baltimore's Mayor Blake omitted):

Quote1. If the Nationals and Orioles meet in the World Series, should it be called the Beltway Series, the Parkway Series or something else?

Gray: It should definitely be the Parkway Series. For starters, Beltway Series isn't exactly the most poetic name – and the beltways don't actually connect our two cities (or, in the District's case, even pass through our city). ....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/marc-madness-the-dc-and-baltimore-mayors-on-a-nationals-orioles-world-series/2014/09/26/ddb0fd30-43fb-11e4-b437-1a7368204804_story.html
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Zeffy

You know you're a roadgeek when you are playing a game and anytime you see I-XX you immediately visualize either the road or the Interstate shield with the correct numerals:

In this case, it is not an Interstate, but the player's level in the game, and how many times they have gone back to 0 and started again - you can do this up to five times.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Henry

Quote from: bulldog1979 on March 17, 2014, 06:16:24 PM
... you run across a crossword puzzle clue of "Musial of the Cardinals" with a four-letter answer and you can reply STAN based on a bridge. I actually had this happen on the New York Times crossword puzzle app after attending the St. Louis meet this weekend. I didn't know he was a Cardinal though.

iPad
That's surprising, considering that he was the face of the St. Louis franchise from the day he first stepped onto the field. Even as a Cubs fan, he, Ozzie Smith and Tony LaRussa were the only Cardinals I could never hate.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hotdogPi

You see something like "Route 117" for a bus, and you think of State Route 117.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

bing101

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ocOvAXOXvM

When a Solano County Roadgeek wonders why is CA-37 is in the Desert and not in San Pablo Bay.

adventurernumber1

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Laura

Quote from: Darkchylde on August 31, 2012, 09:36:11 PM
Quote from: Steve on August 31, 2012, 06:53:36 PM
Quote from: kphoger on August 31, 2012, 02:11:26 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 31, 2012, 12:45:18 PM
Quote from: Rushmeister on August 31, 2012, 12:39:41 PM
Your spouse is in the car with you and you wonder if that road veering off at a fork is an earlier alignment of the road highway you're on.  BUT you bite your tongue and don't say anything at all because you're tired of the ridicule you always get when you bring up the subject.

need spouse upgrade...

??? !

Apparently, the roadgeek itch is more sacred than marriage........
50% of marriages end in divorce. Maybe 5% of roadgeeks give up roads.
Roadgeeks giving up roads? Heresy!

You know you're a roadgeek when this was a legitimate consideration in finding a suitable marriage partner ;)

amroad17

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on October 08, 2014, 11:05:02 AM
When you're bored in class you do stuff like this https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/127322363@N08/15291564900/
That, young man, is classic!!!  :nod:  And, very good.  Wait, you forgot I-575.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

adventurernumber1

Quote from: amroad17 on October 09, 2014, 03:28:02 AM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on October 08, 2014, 11:05:02 AM
When you're bored in class you do stuff like this https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/127322363@N08/15291564900/
That, young man, is classic!!!  :nod:  And, very good.  Wait, you forgot I-575.

Lol, I didn't get to putting I-575, I-675, & I-516 (though that one is extremely short). It wasn't the complete system, just something I quickly doodled up. I was bored out of my mind working on a packet that was like 5 pages long due the next day! So I got a piece of paper, and out of randomness started folding it making random shapes, then, all of a sudden, it was the shape of GA, so I'm like "what the heck", and I taped the sides, and started drawing the roads. I have done maps much better than this one, but none so on a paper that was actually shaped like GA  :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.