News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Trucking Industry Needs More Drivers. Maybe It Needs to Pay More.

Started by cpzilliacus, August 10, 2014, 01:36:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

The Upshot in the N.Y. Times: The Trucking Industry Needs More Drivers. Maybe It Needs to Pay More.

QuoteSwift Transportation's 20,000 workers haul goods in almost 14,000 big-rig trucks that travel the interstates and back roads of the United States every day. The company's performance is closely tied to the nation's economy, which has been looking increasingly sunny lately.

QuoteSo it was surprising last month when Swift's stock plummeted nearly 18 percent in a single day. The tumble came for an odd reason. It wasn't because there was too little business – but rather, too much.

Quote"We were constrained by the challenging driver market,"  the company said in its quarterly earnings announcement. "Our driver turnover and unseated truck count were higher than anticipated."

QuoteIn other words, Swift had plenty of customers wanting to ship goods. But in a time of elevated unemployment, it somehow couldn't find enough drivers to take those goods from Point A to Point B. How is that possible? The reasons for that conundrum tell us a great deal about what has been ailing American workers and why a full-throated economic recovery has been so slow in coming.

QuoteConsider this: The American Trucking Associations has estimated that there was a shortage of 30,000 qualified drivers earlier this year, a number on track to rise to 200,000 over the next decade. Trucking companies are turning down business for want of workers.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Crazy Volvo Guy

It not only needs to pay more, but it also needs to pay differently, and stop making drivers put up with so much BS. (Governors, forced fueling, forced routing, driver-facing cameras, forced dispatch, etc.)
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

SteveG1988

Basically, treat the drivers like adults, imagine this micromanagement in an office.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Crazy Volvo Guy

Companies such as mine that have a lot of Just-In-Time freight, which is typically short (usually 600 miles or less) and tight, need to pay percentage rather than per-mile.  JIT freight pays very high rates, and the drivers should see some of that - in this case, the classical per-mile system is essentially a scam.  Companies that deal with mostly conventional (long-haul) freight are fine paying per-mile.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.