News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Ice water challenge

Started by golden eagle, August 14, 2014, 12:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

I've tended to notice that a lot of oddities in human nature and society appear to be cause by the population breakdown between sensory temperaments (80% total; ~40% each for Guardians and Artisans) and those with intuitive ones (20% total; ~10% each for Rationalists and Idealists).  Due to the wide breakdown (which doesn't exist for extraversion/introversion, thinking/feeling, and judging/perceiving), the two groups don't really understand each other.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bookem

Quote from: vdeane on August 24, 2014, 02:25:16 PM
I've tended to notice that a lot of oddities in human nature and society appear to be cause by the population breakdown between sensory temperaments (80% total; ~40% each for Guardians and Artisans) and those with intuitive ones (20% total; ~10% each for Rationalists and Idealists).  Due to the wide breakdown (which doesn't exist for extraversion/introversion, thinking/feeling, and judging/perceiving), the two groups don't really understand each other.

Myers-Briggs?  :sombrero:

Anyhoo... it's a great cause, no question, but it has "bandwagon" written all over it.  If I'm ever the recipient of a challenge, I'd be tempted to donate $200 to ALS if the challenger dumps the bucket on themselves.

US71

Quote from: bookem on August 24, 2014, 03:01:54 PM

Anyhoo... it's a great cause, no question, but it has "bandwagon" written all over it.  If I'm ever the recipient of a challenge, I'd be tempted to donate $200 to ALS if the challenger dumps the bucket on themselves.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on August 24, 2014, 03:43:16 PM

THAT'S the way it should work!   :nod:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Laura

Quote from: cjk374 on August 24, 2014, 03:44:36 PM
Quote from: US71 on August 24, 2014, 03:43:16 PM

THAT'S the way it should work!   :nod:

So I've been nominated twice for the challenge and so far haven't acknowledged either one... I would seriously consider donating money and then tagging you and then accepting your challenge.

iPhone

hbelkins

What if I don't want to give money to ALS? What if I want to give money to Alzheimer's research, the American Cancer Society, or the Kentucky Humane Society, or a preferred political candidate? Whatever good cause I want to donate to should be my business.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Zeffy

Quote from: hbelkins on August 24, 2014, 10:31:44 PM
What if I don't want to give money to ALS? What if I want to give money to Alzheimer's research, the American Cancer Society, or the Kentucky Humane Society, or a preferred political candidate? Whatever good cause I want to donate to should be my business.

Thank you - someone donating money to a charity should be an act of goodwill, NOT a publicity stunt to make it seem like you care. If you have to film it or say it, you probably don't give a damn about what you are giving to.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Laura

Quote from: Zeffy on August 24, 2014, 10:40:21 PM

Thank you - someone donating money to a charity should be an act of goodwill, NOT a publicity stunt to make it seem like you care. If you have to film it or say it, you probably don't give a damn about what you are giving to.

Plenty of people are donating to other charities and still doing the ice bucket challenge. The first person who nominated me donated to a charity that helps terminally ill children.

iPhone

US71

I like Vin Diesel's challenge: "Plant a tree for Groot"
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Pete from Boston

Quote from: bing101 on August 21, 2014, 10:54:06 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 14, 2014, 11:59:24 AM
Sounds to me like a chain letter. Nothing forces anyone to forward a chain letter. Nothing is "forcing" anyone to donate money if you decline a challenge, either, unless you specifically sign a contract saying you'll participate and will pay a penalty if you back out.

Regarding the whole idea of dumping ice water over someone, it sounds pretty similar to the "Gatorade shower." Speaking of which, some people have theorized that former Redskins coach George Allen's terminal illness may have been caused, in part, by having a Gatorade bucket full of ice water dumped over him after a win on a cold night when he was 72 years old. (His son, the former governor of Virginia, doesn't think the incident caused the illness.)

Didn't the NFL start the Ice bucket challenge or Gatorade challenge in one of the Super Bowl's where it was the NFL coach getting splashed with ice water or gatorade? I didn't think ALS group came up with this idea. I thought it was the NCAA Football or NFL that came up with this challenge.

'86 Giants.  Jim Burt and Harry Carson would get followed by camera crews as they sneaked up behind Bill Parcells to douse him after their many wins. 

It stayed interesting for as long as several months after that.

As for the challenge, you will all forget about it next year when "eat topsoil challenge" takes over, and people unquestioningly swallow handsful of earth on camera while instructing their loved ones to do the same.

agentsteel53

can you elaborate on this?  it seems to not be quite a non-sequitur in this particular thread, but I'm not seeing where you're leading with it.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

This fad will definitely end by the time winter approaches...

jeffandnicole

If you read how this got started, it was basically a donate to anyone challenge, but for some reason ALS became the charity of choice.  To be honest with you, it may have worked out better that way.  I guess someone could've said "I nominate Jeff and Nicole to dump water ice on their heads or donate $100 to their Favorite Charity", but if I'm already donating to my favorite charity, what's the incentive to do it again?

Since I can't resist the opportunity...

In Alanland, they were dumping $100 on their heads, and donating buckets of water to charity.

vdeane

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 25, 2014, 02:46:57 PM

can you elaborate on this?  it seems to not be quite a non-sequitur in this particular thread, but I'm not seeing where you're leading with it.
The post was intended to be longer, but I managed to back myself into a corner where there were no good options other than "cut it here".  All of human history and human nature can be explained by the S vs. N dynamic, but it's very difficult to explain without either going political or accidentally insulting someone's personality temperament.  I freely admit to having pro-intuitive bias and it's affecting my ability to write about this in an objective manner.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

vdeane

Quote from: vdeane on August 25, 2014, 09:52:53 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 25, 2014, 02:46:57 PM

The post was intended to be longer, but I managed to back myself into a corner where there were no good options other than "cut it here".  All of human history and human nature can be explained by the S vs. N dynamic, but it's very difficult to explain without either going political or accidentally insulting someone's personality temperament.  I freely admit to having pro-intuitive bias and it's affecting my ability to write about this in an objective manner.
Figured it out: sensors strike me an more likely to be a part of the "mainstream" and be integrated into society's structure, while intuitive types are more likely to break out and do their own thing.

agentsteel53

Quote from: vdeane on August 27, 2014, 01:12:01 PM
Quote from: vdeane on August 25, 2014, 09:52:53 PM

Figured it out: sensors strike me an more likely to be a part of the "mainstream" and be integrated into society's structure, while intuitive types are more likely to break out and do their own thing.

got it!  S/N is the one which I grasp the least.  I would like to think that I'm both sensing and intuitive; they are to me not nearly as much a pair of opposites as the other three axes are.

jake@aaroads.com

exit322

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 25, 2014, 02:58:32 PM

If you read how this got started, it was basically a donate to anyone challenge, but for some reason ALS became the charity of choice.  To be honest with you, it may have worked out better that way.  I guess someone could've said "I nominate Jeff and Nicole to dump water ice on their heads or donate $100 to their Favorite Charity", but if I'm already donating to my favorite charity, what's the incentive to do it again?

In Alanland, they were dumping $100 on their heads, and donating buckets of water to charity.

Wrong.  They were dumping charity on their Numberwangs (they don't have dollars in Alanland, they're both outlawed and required), and donating their heads to water.

algorerhythms

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 25, 2014, 02:58:32 PM

Charlie Sheen is a very prominent Alanlander, who has many Numberwangs:

Billy F 1988

Look. Call it what you will, regardless of what you all think about it, let me give you something to think about. My step-aunt passed away from ALS a couple of years ago. Does that not tell you the significance of this charity? Of course not because you don't know what it was like for my step-mother to lose her sister to ALS. You don't get it unless you have had a family member pass away from the same disease.

There are quite a few of you who don't appreciate this at all. Let me leave you with this: if you firmly know that this is not a charity you want to donate money to or take the challenge, then you can opt out of it and go find one that you can donate money, volunteer your time, or whatever instead of slapping a bunch of this nonsense all over the interwebs.

If you don't like what certain people are doing regardless if they are celebrities or just average joe-schmoes, like the Ice Bucket Challenge for instance, I'm sorry, but I have no time to hear your tripe of an excuse as to why you don't like it.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

6a

That's what's great about the internet. We have the ability to express opinions to a wide audience, you have the option of not reading them.

iPhone

hbelkins

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on August 28, 2014, 02:55:09 AM
Look. Call it what you will, regardless of what you all think about it, let me give you something to think about. My step-aunt passed away from ALS a couple of years ago. Does that not tell you the significance of this charity? Of course not because you don't know what it was like for my step-mother to lose her sister to ALS. You don't get it unless you have had a family member pass away from the same disease.

Conversely, there are a lot of other people who have never lost a family member to ALS, but have to other diseases. (My mother to cancer, one grandfather to emphysema, another to a stroke, a very close friend to a drunk-driving wreck [he wasn't drinking but was hit head-on by a driver with alcohol and multiple illegal drugs in his system], and so on.)

This charity may be near and dear to your heart, but it isn't to a lot of other people. Other charities mean more to them.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kj3400

Then what's the problem? Donate to those charities, then. There's plenty of things that need donating to, and standing around debating about which one is more important isn't helping anyone.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kj3400 on August 28, 2014, 01:47:48 PM
Then what's the problem? Donate to those charities, then. There's plenty of things that need donating to, and standing around debating about which one is more important isn't helping anyone.

the problem is Billy F's simultaneous bellyaching and evangelizing.

nobody likes being whined at about how to give, or not give, their money. 

jake@aaroads.com

bing101

Well if you live in Vallejo,  Napa and American Canyon  right now you are more focused on donating or volunteering at the Red Cross after the 2014 West Napa Fault quake. The people here are more interested in donating to Red Cross to fund an earthquake warning system and helping people repair their homes.

But good luck to others that did donate to other groups such as ALS Group.

golden eagle

A sales rep at my company did the challenge today.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.