News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Color associations of music genres

Started by Pink Jazz, August 14, 2014, 04:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

This may seem like a strange concept, however, I was wondering, if you can associate different music genres with different colors, what would they be?

Here are mine:

• Rock - Red (fiery)
  • R&B - Blue (cool)
  • Pop - Yellow (lively)
  • Smooth jazz - Pink (soothing)
  • New Age - White (soft)
  • Hip-Hop - Dark blue (more cool)
  • Classical - Purple (deep)
  • Techno - Gray (technology)
  • Disco - Silver (disco ball)
  • Country - Brown (the color of earth, the classical element)

What would your color associations be?

hbelkins

Hip-hop and rap: Black.
Country and heavy metal: White.

:bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Duke87

I make no such associations.

This sounds like something someone who has synesthesia would experience.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Duke87 on August 14, 2014, 04:37:48 PM
I make no such associations.

This sounds like something someone who has synesthesia would experience.

Well, if you ran a music store, it makes things easier to find by organizing each genre with a color.  I have seen some libraries that color code books by genre.

Pete from Boston

Not really, though I know there are folks that can tell you what colors music is.  However, Tuesdays will always be yellow, and Mondays a dark but unsaturated blue.

Route 28 is green, but Route 38 is pink.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 14, 2014, 04:51:59 PM
Not really, though I know there are folks that can tell you what colors music is.  However, Tuesdays will always be yellow, and Mondays a dark but unsaturated blue.

Of course, for months of the year, each month can be represented by a color for the dominant holiday, i.e. Pink for February (Valentine's Day), Green for March (St. Patrick's Day), Orange for October (Halloween), or Red for December (Christmas).  However, Pink is overtaking Orange for October due to it being Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

FYI, speaking of route numbers, ADOT once tried color coding the Phoenix area loops.  Loop 101 was blue, Loop 202 was brown, and Loop 303 was black.  ADOT did away with this due to sign fading, in particular the brown Loop 202 shields were especially prone to fading.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Pink Jazz on August 14, 2014, 04:55:53 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 14, 2014, 04:51:59 PM

Of course, for months of the year, each month can be represented by a color for the dominant holiday, i.e. Pink for February (Valentine's Day), Green for March (St. Patrick's Day), Orange for October (Halloween), or Red for December (Christmas).  However, Pink is overtaking Orange for October due to it being Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

February's brown, March blue, October a dark red on the orange side, and December green. 

Alps

My main color associations are from early childhood map puzzles to states. Michigan is red, Connecticut is yellow, Kansas is pink, California is yellow, Nebraska is orange, etc. I don't remember all of them, but that's a lot more than I remember of most things around that time.

hbelkins

If I'm associating anything with colors, it's usually states with the sports teams of their primary school. Kentucky = blue. North Carolina = baby blue. Tennessee = vile orange. Florida = a different vile shade of orange. Ohio = red. And so on.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on August 14, 2014, 10:05:37 PM
If I'm associating anything with colors, it's usually states with the sports teams of their primary school. Kentucky = blue. North Carolina = baby blue. Tennessee = vile orange. Florida = a different vile shade of orange. Ohio = red. And so on.
Kentucky is pink. NC is red. TN is yellow. FL is orange. OH... that one I forget.

kurumi

My strange synesthesia: the NFC (and NL) are odd (like north-south numbering); the AFC and AL are even. No idea where that came from.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

US81

I understand many synesthetes tend to associate color and music by pitch and key. D major is a bright sunny yellow, G major a light orange, E-flat major = grass green, etc. 

Alps

Quote from: kurumi on August 16, 2014, 02:15:00 AM
My strange synesthesia: the NFC (and NL) are odd (like north-south numbering); the AFC and AL are even. No idea where that came from.
Yeah I don't know either, cause you're WRONG. AFC and AL are way better, so they're odd. (Also prefer AHL and ABA to NHL and NBA. I'm not a huge fan of A but it somehow becomes round in those words instead of all pointy and slanty like an N.)

on_wisconsin

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.