News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highway Sign Technicians- Anyone Hiring?

Started by PColumbus73, August 16, 2014, 03:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PColumbus73

Hello! I graduated from a 2 year tech college with a degree in drafting and design technology back in December of last year. I'm currently been working as a taxi driver until I can find a suitable job that fits my education. I've been doodling roads and highways and everything in between since I could pick up a pen. With a lot of help from Zeffy and others here, I've become interested in designing road signs professionally.

Is anyone here employed in such a field?

adventurernumber1

Clearly I'm not employed since I'm 14, lol. But Zeffy has been teaching me a lot about making road signs on PowerPoint. I will not lie, he is pretty darn good.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Zeffy

Quote from: PColumbus73 on August 16, 2014, 03:50:46 PM
With a lot of help from Zeffy and others here, I've become interested in designing road signs professionally.

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on August 16, 2014, 04:09:51 PM
But Zeffy has been teaching me a lot about making road signs on PowerPoint. I will not lie, he is pretty darn good.

While I'm humbled for the honors here, I just want to remind everyone that I wouldn't be who I am on these forums today without the help and guidance from KEK Inc., myosh_tino, J N Winkler, Alps (in no particular order), and many, many others here who helped me either directly or indirectly to become as great as I am today.

I too am looking for a position like this, but I should probably go to school first. Unfortunately, I feel like my severely limited mathematical skills would not help me in something like CAD or engineering.  :no: 
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

DaBigE

Quote from: PColumbus73 on August 16, 2014, 03:50:46 PM
Hello! I graduated from a 2 year tech college with a degree in drafting and design technology back in December of last year. I'm currently been working as a taxi driver until I can find a suitable job that fits my education. I've been doodling roads and highways and everything in between since I could pick up a pen. With a lot of help from Zeffy and others here, I've become interested in designing road signs professionally.

Is anyone here employed in such a field?

I kinda am, but it's not the main part of my job. If you don't have a PE license or an engineering degree at the very least, your options will be limited more to the private industry (commercial sign fabricators). In my position, raw sign design opportunities don't come up all that often, and when they do, they're usually only drafts of signs that later get finalized by a state agency.

You also could get in to the traffic visualization, which incidentally is where the majority of my sign designing is for, you wouldn't necessarily need an engineering degree, but rather experience in visualization software (SketchUp, 3D Studio Max, VISSIM, SimTraffic, etc. ...).
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.