Businesses that tend to locate near each other

Started by golden eagle, August 17, 2014, 10:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

Quote from: Brandon on August 21, 2014, 03:05:24 PM
Wow, that's pricey!  When I was in college, there was a place in Houghton, MI doing hair cuts (decent ones too) for $6.  Now, I usually spend $13 with the tip.

One of my friends in Minnesota spends $25 more than I do and claims "it's worth it because cheaper = worse job" which I say is bullshit. Plus, I guess it depends on HOW you get your hair cut - if I recall correctly, it is cheaper to get a clipper cut rather than using scissors in most places.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

agentsteel53

my wife cuts my hair.

I will not under any circumstances attempt to return the favor.  she believes her $50-60 stylist trips are worth the money, and I - having no data points apart from the result and the knowledge that I couldn't achieve it - believe her.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

DaBigE

Around me, it's getting pretty hard to even find a traditional barber anymore. Seems like every time I turn around another chain hair care place is opening up (Cost Cutters, Great Clips, Sport Clips, etc.). With tip, I usually only spend about $18...and I've only had one "bad" haircut, (which was partially my fault anyway).
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

US71

Quote from: DaBigE on August 21, 2014, 05:18:56 PM
Around me, it's getting pretty hard to even find a traditional barber anymore. Seems like every time I turn around another chain hair care place is opening up (Cost Cutters, Great Clips, Sport Clips, etc.). With tip, I usually only spend about $18...and I've only had one "bad" haircut, (which was partially my fault anyway).
That's happening everywhere. The "hair salons" are taking over. My local hair guy just remodeled his shop so he can lease space to a professional stylist. He has hired two, but neither lasted more than 3 days...don't know why.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

golden eagle

I haven't paid for a haircut in 18 years! Not hard to shave your own hair bald.

6a

My haircuts are something like $50 but I have longer hair, and only get it cut every 3 months or so. My wife and I even go to the same stylist.

hbelkins

I was paying $15-$20 to get my hair cut but since the first of the year, my wife has been using the clippers on me. Not terribly hard to do when you use a #1 guard on the back and sides, and a #3 guard on the front and top.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadrunner75

When are the haircut chains going to roll out a "Free Hat Guarantee"?  Get a good haircut or they'll throw in a free hat to wear until it grows back.

DaBigE

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on August 21, 2014, 11:49:27 PM
When are the haircut chains going to roll out a "Free Hat Guarantee"?  Get a good haircut or they'll throw in a free hat to wear until it grows back.

The hat would probably be as bad as the haircut.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

elsmere241

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 21, 2014, 08:26:08 AMIn Delaware near I-95's Exit 4, a Chi-Chis became a Cheeseburger in Paradise & the remainder was leased for a Dunkin Donuts.  Cheeseburger is no longer part of Outback's portfolio...and this particular location has since shut down completely.

There's a Fuddruckers there now.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: elsmere241 on August 22, 2014, 11:20:47 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 21, 2014, 08:26:08 AMIn Delaware near I-95's Exit 4, a Chi-Chis became a Cheeseburger in Paradise & the remainder was leased for a Dunkin Donuts.  Cheeseburger is no longer part of Outback's portfolio...and this particular location has since shut down completely.

Off of I-75 in Ga on Exit 333 (in Dalton) off of SR 52 a long time ago there was a Fuddrucker's. I can't remember what year it close but it was at least five years ago, and the sign is still up, though the building is closed and abandoned, never being turned into anything new. There's also an abandoned Kroger next to the abandoned Fuddrucker's a new Kroger being built just a little ways down the street in a huge shopping area. I miss Fuddrucker's and now Dalton doesn't have one  :pan:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Brandon

Quote from: elsmere241 on August 22, 2014, 11:20:47 AM

Luby's owns both Fuddruckers and Cheeseburger In Paradise* now.

*Not to be mistaken with Cheeseburger Restaurants in California and Hawai'i.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

GCrites

Quote from: Zeffy on August 21, 2014, 02:03:41 PM
I disagree with that statement - whenever I actually want a haircut, I go to a salon, and I pay equivalent to a barbershop, plus I don't risk getting that buzzcut I managed to get in 8th grade when I asked for an inch off and not "leave me with an inch". God damn I think that's when I stopped going to barbers.

That's the standard middle school haircut you see on 80% of middle school boys though. If you ask me it looks terrible on kids that age.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: GCrites80s on August 22, 2014, 02:52:28 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on August 21, 2014, 02:03:41 PM
I disagree with that statement - whenever I actually want a haircut, I go to a salon, and I pay equivalent to a barbershop, plus I don't risk getting that buzzcut I managed to get in 8th grade when I asked for an inch off and not "leave me with an inch". God damn I think that's when I stopped going to barbers.

That's the standard middle school haircut you see on 80% of middle school boys though. If you ask me it looks terrible on kids that age.

Not really, at least where I live. All the football players this year have to be shaved, and in general not that many people have buzz cuts. I have fairly long hair, which a good bit of the kids have.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Laura

On the rare occasion that I get a haircut, I walk to the Hair Cuttery down the street. I think I've had it cut once in the past year? Maybe it was $15 and a $5 tip? My hair doesn't want to grow past my chest, and since I like it this length, there it stays.

Back in my undergrad days when I was more adventurous, I had a friend who worked in a salon who did my hair. I think she was $30? (My hair was also shorter then.)

Also, having worked at two different Rite Aids and having had a father who worked an upper management position, it's intentional that Rite Aid/CVS/Walgreens are right next to each other. People generally have their personal preference of drug store brand and will gravitate toward it, unless the competition is closer or more convenient. When they expanded the size of their stores in the late 90's and 2000's, they would intentionally upgrade the stores next to or near the ones that the competition was also upgrading.

cjk374

Quote from: golden eagle on August 21, 2014, 06:11:23 PM

x2!!  The cost of razors & shaving gel are so much cheaper!
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Brandon

Quote from: cjk374 on August 22, 2014, 11:54:52 PM

Throw in heavy doses of sunscreen.  That'll even it out.  Even with hair, I go from zero to burn in no time flat.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

cjk374

Quote from: Brandon on August 23, 2014, 12:00:40 AM

Throw in heavy doses of sunscreen.  That'll even it out.  Even with hair, I go from zero to burn in no time flat.

I don't use sunscreen on my head, much to the shagrin of my fiance...I burn (hurts like hell  :evilgrin: ), I tan, then it doesn't burn as often.   
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

GaryV

Beside zoning considerations, businesses do their market research.  If it turns out that corner would be a good place for Walgreens, CVS might find out the same thing.

We had a consultant say that if you're looking for a place for a new church, look for a new McDonald's.  Let them pay for the research.

A few years ago I noticed that several strip malls in the area would have the same unrelated businesses in them.  I don't recall what they were now, but it was something like specialty retailers and a haircut chain.  I wasn't aware of them being owned by a common parent corporation.  Perhaps their parent corporations got together and convinced the strip mall owner(s) to give them a discount for renting 2 or 3 places at the same time?

Brandon

Quote from: cjk374 on August 23, 2014, 12:07:04 AM
Quote from: Brandon on August 23, 2014, 12:00:40 AM

I don't use sunscreen on my head, much to the shagrin of my fiance...I burn (hurts like hell  :evilgrin: ), I tan, then it doesn't burn as often.   

What's tanning?  :-D  For me, it's pink, burn, peel, repeat.  Hair and hat for me is the only way to go in the sun.   :sombrero:

oscar

Quote from: Laura on August 22, 2014, 04:11:14 PM
Also, having worked at two different Rite Aids and having had a father who worked an upper management position, it's intentional that Rite Aid/CVS/Walgreens are right next to each other. People generally have their personal preference of drug store brand and will gravitate toward it, unless the competition is closer or more convenient. When they expanded the size of their stores in the late 90's and 2000's, they would intentionally upgrade the stores next to or near the ones that the competition was also upgrading.

Sounds like the Hotelling location theory (which I mentioned upthread) at work.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.