Britons are using more American words because traditional English is in decline

Started by Stephane Dumas, August 29, 2014, 08:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

I spotted that article of the Daily Mail mentionning then British words like marvellous had been replaced by awesome.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2733912/No-longer-marvellous-awesome-Britons-using-American-words-traditional-English-decline.html

Btw, anyone who remember to use the word "terrific"?

realjd

Similarly, American English has been importing British-isms like queue, car park, road work, and brilliant.

SP Cook

1995hoo

Quote from: realjd on August 29, 2014, 08:36:37 PM
Similarly, American English has been importing British-isms like queue, car park, road work, and brilliant.

Sod off.  :bigass:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

6a

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 29, 2014, 09:02:14 PM
Quote from: realjd on August 29, 2014, 08:36:37 PM

Sod off.  :bigass:
I just hope wanker never makes it here. No one with any kind of American accent sounds right saying it.

1995hoo

BTW, realjd mentions "queue." I find it appalling how many times I've seen Americans referring to a "cue" when they mean "queue."  X-(
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 29, 2014, 09:48:14 PM
I find it appalling how many times I've seen Americans referring to a "cue" when they mean "queue."  X-(

Hopefully, not any American who has studied operations research or traffic congestion (I've done both).  ;-)
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Brian556

quote from 6a:
QuoteI just hope wanker never makes it here. No one with any kind of American accent sounds right saying it.

I've found myself using it occasionally. Think I learned it from 'Married With Children'

english si

Funny that they use "pussy cat" as an example - I'm guessing they have totally forgotten Mrs. Slocombe's pussy from Are You Being Served? getting universal adult coverage of the non-cat meaning of the word in the 1970s which filtered down that I watching the runruns in the 90s could not only pick up that there was a double meaning, but knew what the other meaning was (even if I found it funny in a totally different way to adults - like if they said the word 'poo'). And it wasn't a getting crap under the radar thing - the joke was that Mrs. Slocombe had no clue about the other meaning but everyone else did. Adults cottoned on that children knew the other meaning (or grew up in the 70s, 80s or 90s and grew up with Mrs Slocombe) and so didn't use the word when talking to children, which was the only time to use it.

The Internet, increased travel and wider cultural exchange (films, TV, music, etc) are to 'blame' for this re-homogenising of the English language.

formulanone

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 29, 2014, 09:48:14 PMI find it appalling how many times I've seen Americans referring to a "cue" when they mean "queue."  X-(

I once saw "cue" (used as queue) used once to refer to a line in someone's Facebook post, and I was puzzled for about two minutes until I understood what they meant.

realjd

kurumi

u wot m8

Anyway, if the term "fanny pack" ever takes hold in a non-salacious way, then we know the Queen's English is lost
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Alex4897

👉😎👉

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.