News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Wawa

Started by PHLBOS, September 15, 2014, 10:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 15, 2014, 08:45:41 AMYou won't have Wawa's on any toll road, for the same reason Wawa will not be found at Airports: They do not deviate from their pricing structure.
While not in an airport per say but there is a Wawa (including a gas station) along Bartram Ave./PA 291 near PHL that opened up just a few years ago. 

Such comes in handy for those refueling their rental cars prior to returning them and, no, the prices on the pump are not marked up compared to other stations.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

D-Dey65

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 15, 2014, 10:29:11 AM
While not in an airport per say but there is a Wawa (including a gas station) along Bartram Ave./PA 291 near PHL that opened up just a few years ago. 
I was at a Wawa near Wilmington, Delaware along US 13 near I-495 in 2011, and near Woodbridge, Virginia in 2013. My mother and one of her friends swear by it, but I don't see all the hype. To me, they're just another gas station/convenience store. In recent years, they built some along US 19 at Pasco CR 524, and SR 54, but the sites they built them on should've been used for interchange embankments. I refuse to go to either of them.

J Route Z

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 14, 2014, 11:46:40 PM
Wawa is terrific at turning around freshly-prepared foods in minutes at low prices. The Turnpike should have Wawas.

I so agree!!!!!!!!!!!

And, NY should have Wawa, along with other states. Does MA have?

Pete from Boston

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 15, 2014, 11:19:27 AM
I was at a Wawa near Wilmington, Delaware along US 13 near I-495 in 2011, and near Woodbridge, Virginia in 2013. My mother and one of her friends swear by it, but I don't see all the hype. To me, they're just another gas station/convenience store. In recent years, they built some along US 19 at Pasco CR 524, and SR 54, but the sites they built them on should've been used for interchange embankments. I refuse to go to either of them.

Up this way, we don't really have anything like them.  There are convenience stores with a Subway or Dunkin' Donuts, but that's as elaborate as most of them get.

Wawa, on the other hand, operates in an area where there are Sheetz and Quick Chek and other places with a more full-service food operation, so Wawa may seem relatively less impressive by comparison if you're used to all that.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: J Route Z on September 15, 2014, 11:38:21 AM
Wawa is terrific at turning around freshly-prepared foods in minutes at low prices. The Turnpike should have Wawas.

I so agree!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope.  People think it's a guitar pedal here. 

J Route Z

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 15, 2014, 12:31:31 PM

I so agree!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope.  People think it's a guitar pedal here.

Hahah!! They should expand up there.

jeffandnicole

Wawa fanatics will have you destroyed!

Wawa originally wasn't gas and store.  It was just a store (there was a random store or two with pumps but that was an extremely rare occurrence and nothing like today's set up).

Most people swear by their coffee.  They keep a lot of fresh coffee available, regardless of it being day or night, unlike most convenience stores that keep a single pot out, which may have been there for several hours. 

Between them and Sheetz, they have nearly perfected the touch-screen model of ordering items from the deli, then paying, then receiving your sandwich.  The goal is to have you in and out in a very short period of time. 

They also tend to be very clean, and the newer the store, the more airer it tends to be.  They've actually eliminated about the equivalent of a row of shelves, eliminating items that don't sell well, in order to provide more space to walk around.  And they've added more pre-made sandwiches, wraps, and salads for those that really want to quickly get back on the road.

It's actually a very well executed model that is well liked within the convenience store industry.

I so agree!!!!!!!!!!!

Wawa had expanded into the NY/CT market, but one of the goals of Wawa was to be able to send their products out from their headquarters via truck, get it to the stores in a certain time period, and be back before the day was over.  Due to the congestion in the NYC area, that goal was unattainable, and they got rid of those stores.

Opening in Florida was a huge operational change for Wawa.  Not only did they have to add a distribution center in Florida, but they started doing things they've never done in the Northeast, such as tables where people could sit and enjoy their food.  Again, the goal was to get you out of their stores and parking lots quickly.  But they're allowing themselves to adapt to the slower and older Florida lifestyle.

bzakharin

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 15, 2014, 12:30:24 PM

Up this way, we don't really have anything like them.  There are convenience stores with a Subway or Dunkin' Donuts, but that's as elaborate as most of them get.

Wawa, on the other hand, operates in an area where there are Sheetz and Quick Chek and other places with a more full-service food operation, so Wawa may seem relatively less impressive by comparison if you're used to all that.

The area of Wawa's overlap with Quick Chek is actually insignificant. It's one of the ways to ascertain where the North Jersey / South Jersey line is with the overlap being Central Jersey (the exception being two relatively new stores in the vicinity of I-80 in NJ, presumably using the same suppliers as on the PA side of I-80).

For my purposes, they are all interchangeable (including 7-Eleven, which is pretty ubiquitous). If I'm in a bind and really need milk/water/coke/granola bar any convenience store will do. Coffee, I hate the taste, only drink for caffeine, so I'll take the cheapest available. If it's at work, it's free. If I'm buying, get the store brand instant at the supermarket. If I'm on the road, whatever is available nearby.

As for gas, Wawa is not always the cheapest, but it's same price cash and credit, which often makes them the cheapest in the immediate area if you don't have the cash. I haven't really had a chance to use other convenience stores' gas stations, so can't compare in that regard.

Roadrunner75

Quickchek had to rapidly catch up to Wawa in this area with the touchscreens.  I used to work close to a Quickcheck and would occasionally go there for lunch.  Once Wawa had them up and running, the local Quickchek felt immediately antiquated.  "What!?  I have to wait in line and talk to a person about the sandwich I want?"  If I recall, once they got the touchscreens up, they still screwed it up and made you wait for the sandwich before paying.  I think they finally got it right, but Wawa has since blanketed the area in that time and QC is now a very distant #2.

I think the new Wawa design is a bit bland though.  I thought the 'old' design with the huge sloping canopies over the pumps was a bit ridiculous, but the new stores have gone to a more standard toned-down flat canopy design and a weird mini-supermarket like layout inside with separate in/out doors and registers in front by the exit. 

PHLBOS

Quote from: bzakharin on September 15, 2014, 01:55:35 PMFor my purposes, they are all interchangeable (including 7-Eleven, which is pretty ubiquitous).
I'm sorry but equating Wawa, Sheetz, QuickCheck with the likes of 7-Eleven is considered an act of blasphemy.

For starters (WARNING! The following is not politically correct), one does not need an interpreter at a Wawa, Sheetz and/or a QuickCheck check-out counter.  Most other convenient stores (7-Eleven being one of them) can't claim that.  I've been at a lot of them so I know this one first hand.

FYI, most of the 7-elevens near where I live shut down over a decade ago due to the expansion/addition of more Wawas.  The original Wawa store in Folsom, PA is about 2 miles from where I live.  Wawa just turned 50 several months ago BTW.

Quote from: bzakharin on September 15, 2014, 01:55:35 PMAs for gas, Wawa is not always the cheapest, but it's same price cash and credit, which often makes them the cheapest in the immediate area if you don't have the cash. I haven't really had a chance to use other convenience stores' gas stations, so can't compare in that regard.
Wawa's gas prices are usually competitive if they're not the cheapest.  The fore-mentioned one near the Philadelphia Airport doesn't charge the exhorbitant prices (30 cents above average for self-serve) that the long-gone Exxon station along Island Ave. had.

Side bar: if there are two gas stations near each other and one of them is a Wawa; be aware that the other station might match Wawa's price for the 87 octane gas; their higher grade prices may be significantly higher.  At one station in the Trooper, PA area along PA 363; their prices for the both the upper grades (89 & higher) were more than what the nearby Wawa was charging for their top grade.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hbelkins

Sheetz >>>>>> Wawa.

End of discussion.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: hbelkins on September 15, 2014, 03:07:51 PM
Sheetz >>>>>> Wawa.

End of discussion.

Not if there's no Sheetz, and lots of Wawas.  A Wawa in the hand is worth two Sheetz a hundred miles away.   

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 15, 2014, 03:13:45 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 15, 2014, 03:07:51 PM
Sheetz >>>>>> Wawa.
End of discussion.
Not if there's no Sheetz, and lots of Wawas.  A Wawa in the hand is worth two Sheetz a hundred miles away.
They're both pretty good.  I'll stop at either, although I'm far more familiar with Wawa and like it better because I'm used to it.  No way is Sheetz far better though.

I remember one of the earliest Wawas in NJ, down in Somers Point where my grandparents lived at the time (late 70s/early 80s).  At that time, there were very few in the rest of the state.  There was an article not long ago, noting that the store was closing after 45 years so they could move to a new location just down the road.  My recollection was that it was more of a small mom and pop kind of place with a full deli counter.  A few years later Wawa launched its blitzkrieg across NJ taking out 7-11s left and right.

Zeffy

There's a Wawa in my town, and there also is a 7-11 in my town as well. Wawa has ICEEs which IMO are better than Slurpees which is usually what I buy if I'm at either of those stores. Also, Wawa is in a more convenient location and closer to my home than 7-11 is. QuickChek isn't too bad, having a location about 30 seconds away from Wawa, but I can't really say I've been to Sheetz.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

shadyjay

RE:  WaWa

There was also a WaWa at the Route 34 split in West Haven, where the divided highway/parkway began... it sat right in the median. 
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3044932,-72.975356,3a,75y,216.52h,77.52t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sA-BgVxmZznk3-X-ki2Y2aw!2e0

Today it's a Krauzer's, which most of the Wawa's in CT became... there was one in Cromwell just off I-91 at Exit 21 that I used to go to all the time.

NJRoadfan

Most of the old WaWas in NJ became Pantry 1 Minimarts. I still find it odd that they pulled out of North Jersey even though its within delivery range. Overall WaWa is abandoning the older smaller stores that lack gas stations for new buildings. The extremely busy Diamond Beach location (south of Wildwood Crest) was closed for that reason.

Roadrunner75

Wawa is planning on coming back to North Jersey.  Here's an article from about a year ago that I remember reading at the time, which describes their plans:
http://www.northjersey.com/news/wawa-opens-store-in-lodi-1.579878

froggie

Quote from: Pete From BostonUp this way, we don't really have anything like them.  There are convenience stores with a Subway or Dunkin' Donuts, but that's as elaborate as most of them get.

Some of the newer Cumbies (Cumberland Farms for non-New Englanders) are getting Wawa-esque.  Not sure if they're doing touch-screen ordering (didn't check), but they might be.  And their SmartPay app is awesome.

PHLBOS

Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 15, 2014, 11:59:36 PM
Most of the old WaWas in NJ became Pantry 1 Minimarts.
Similar happened w/a couple of older Wawas in my area several years ago (and I'm in Wawa country).  The ones that closed & changed over not only didn't have gas stations but also weren't open 24 hours either.

I believe that all Wawas are now open 24 hours.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alex

I liked it when Wawa's did not include gas pumps. They were great for taking care of hunger at 2 am with decent sub sandwiches. Their chocolate milk was always good and I now love their coffee.

However today the gas station aspect makes getting in and out a chore at times though. As of 2012, there were still some in Delaware without the gas station aspect, such as the two along Delaware 4 south of Newark.

roadman65

One thing about Wawa, they're gas is one of the lowest besides the membership wholesale clubs that are not for the general public. 

I remember once when the one on FL 436 near Orlando International Airport opened, he had a sale on gas when he first opened last year.  It was 2.99 which was way lower than the idiot up the street from him charging way over $5 a gallon for gas.  All the news agencies have been giving them free publicity for when they did it, as that jerk with the high gas prices has been on everyone's mind since he opened several years before.  Many of us in Florida have always wanted that guy out of business for his charging too much for gas, especially at first when he did not post his prices.  At least now the law made him post his prices, but the owner says that he will continue to charge what the hell he wants and we don't like it then its too bad.  Even after Wawa opened he still says that he won't change.  So all of our local media thought that it was newsworthy to report the sale price of below average gas at the time.

Anyway always busy here in Florida no matter what location.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alex on September 16, 2014, 09:03:38 AM
I liked it when Wawa's did not include gas pumps. They were great for taking care of hunger at 2 am with decent sub sandwiches. Their chocolate milk was always good and I now love their coffee.

However today the gas station aspect makes getting in and out a chore at times though. As of 2012, there were still some in Delaware without the gas station aspect, such as the two along Delaware 4 south of Newark.
There are still a fair amount of Wawas without the gas station in southeastern PA.  Within a 5 mile radius of where I reside in Delaware County; there are at least 6 Wawas that are just stores; one of them being the original 50-year old Wawa along MacDade Blvd. in Folsom... though the latter is slated to be replaced with a gas station Wawa up the road (near the PA 420 intersection) in the foreseeable future.  That future one could wind up replacing the 22-year old Wawa store further up MacDade Blvd. in Holmes (I remember when that one first opened in 1992) as well due to its close proximity to PA 420.

Many of the Wawas located in Center City Philadelphia are just stores as well.  I don't believe those will be replaced w/gas station Wawas anytime soon. 
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadrunner75

Quote from: froggie on September 16, 2014, 08:19:22 AM
Quote from: Pete From BostonUp this way, we don't really have anything like them.  There are convenience stores with a Subway or Dunkin' Donuts, but that's as elaborate as most of them get.

Some of the newer Cumbies (Cumberland Farms for non-New Englanders) are getting Wawa-esque.  Not sure if they're doing touch-screen ordering (didn't check), but they might be.  And their SmartPay app is awesome.
Cumberland Farms is not welcome around here since their scandal a few years ago with accusing employees of theft to get them to quit:
http://articles.philly.com/1993-06-25/news/25972086_1_cashiers-cumberland-farms-settlement
I hope Wawa pushes north again and steamrolls them.  I think there may be a few of them still around in NJ (some became mom and pop " 'Fill in the blank' Farms").  They used to have frequent radio commercials touting "Cumbies" a few years ago that were really annoying, while there were none around anyway.

As for Wawas without pumps, there are still plenty of them around in New Jersey, although they are rapidly being replaced with the gas station versions.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 15, 2014, 03:13:45 PM
A Wawa in the hand is worth two Sheetz a hundred miles away.   

The NY Times did a story (why them...who knows) about Wawa & Sheetz in PA.  Generally, Sheetz's customer service was much better than Wawa; Wawa's coffee way better than Sheetz.  Both companies excel in some things more than others.  Before they were competing in the same markets, the CEO's were good friends and would often meet up with each other.  Now that both stores have encroached into each other's territory, they don't meet up as often, although I wouldn't be surprised they still send Christmas Cards to each other!

Quote from: Alex on September 16, 2014, 09:03:38 AM

They are fewer and far in between, although I still have 2 near my house.  As a 'Super Wawa' (as they were formerly known before the gas/store became commonplace) opens, a nearby traditional Wawa closes, although sometimes there's been cases where a Wawa is closed even though it's relatively nowhere near a Super Wawa, which really sucks.

A 3rd near my place knocked down a nearby mini-shopping center solely to place gas pumps there. The convenience store remained as is, so it's overall look and layout is a bit different from most.

It's not a question of a Wawa making money or losing money - they are all profitable stores.  Wawa is in the position where they close the less-profitable stores, to concentrate on the more profitable ones as well as opening new stores.

Quote from: roadman65 on September 16, 2014, 09:19:58 AM
At least now the law made him post his prices, but the owner says that he will continue to charge what the hell he wants and we don't like it then its too bad.  Even after Wawa opened he still says that he won't change.

Honestly, he's allowed to.  People may not like it, but if the guy is in a good location, why shouldn't he?  He knows people are probably running late to the airport; he knows people aren't going to drive a few miles to find something cheaper.  He has every right to capitalize on that.  And since most of his customers are one-timers that are leaving the city and won't be returning, it's not like he's worried about repeat business.  People for some reason believe that everyone has to play fair.  As long as someone isn't price gouging illegally, such as a hardware store after a hurricane, he can charge whatever he wants for gasoline.

Competition will play its part with the nearby Wawa.  If he loses business, he'll either reduce his prices or go out of business.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 16, 2014, 10:37:28 AMHonestly, he's allowed to.  People may not like it, but if the guy is in a good location, why shouldn't he?  He knows people are probably running late to the airport; he knows people aren't going to drive a few miles to find something cheaper.  He has every right to capitalize on that.  And since most of his customers are one-timers that are leaving the city and won't be returning, it's not like he's worried about repeat business.  People for some reason believe that everyone has to play fair.  As long as someone isn't price gouging illegally, such as a hardware store after a hurricane, he can charge whatever he wants for gasoline.

Competition will play its part with the nearby Wawa.  If he loses business, he'll either reduce his prices or go out of business.
Similar was the case w/infamous (to those in the Boston area) Glenn Heller who owned a Gulf station in the Beacon Hill section of the city who gained notoriety for charging the highest gas prices in the nation (back when there were still price controls).  He was charging $1.569 a gallon in 1979 when he was arrested and brought to court.  Following the court order, he was forced to lower his price to a more competitive (for then) $0.88.  However, once prices became decontrolled in 1981; it didn't take long for him to break the $2 and even $3 a gallon barrier (which was excessive for then).

I don't believe that the station even exists anymore.

Here's one news article from 1981 covering Glenn Heller.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.