News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Roadgeek Strengths and Weaknesses

Started by un1, April 05, 2009, 07:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

un1

What states/countries are you smart at about roads or have been studying their roads? For example, say someone is smart at Texas but not New Mexico then their strength is Texas and their weakness is New Mexico.

For me, I am good at:
Ontario
New Brunswick
Iowa
Minnesota

I am studying:
United Kingdom
Quebec
Maine
Texas
New Jersey

I have barely any clue about:
California
New York
Virginia
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

74/171FAN

Obviously I'm great at Virginia and am well with North Carolina, South Carolina, Maryland, Georgia, and Florida.  I'm fine with Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware as well.  However, I'm horrible with Canadian roads.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Bryant5493

My strength is Georgia, as I'm a Georgia native. I've a little knowledge about Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Florida and the Carolinas -- so, I'd say those are my lesser strengths. The rest of the country is my weakness.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

corco

Okey doke- states and provinces ranked in order from strongest to weakest

I'm incredibly strong with (as in I essentially have a fully accurate map of the state highway system embedded into my brain):
1. Washington
2. Wyoming
3. Oregon
4. Idaho

I'm almost to that point with
5. Colorado
6. Utah
7. British Columbia
8. Nebraska (would be in the next category if it weren't for the bloody link and spur highways)

I really want to get to that point but have a few decent sized holes with
9. Montana
10. Iowa
11. Missouri
12. Arizona
13. New Mexico
14. South Dakota
15. North Dakota
16. Ohio

I've got strong general knowledge
17. Nevada
18. Illinois
19. Kansas
20. Alaska
21. California
22. Quebec
23. Alberta
24. Manitoba
25. Indiana
26. Ontario
27. Michigan
28. Sascatchewan
29. Yukon/NWT/Nunavut
30. Hawaii

A strong grasp of the US and Interstate highways with selective knowledge on the state highway system
31. New Hampshire
32. Kentucky
33. West Virginia
34. Oklahoma
35. Tennessee
36. Texas
37. The Atlantic Provinces + Newfoundland
38. Maine
39. Florida
40. Vermont
41. North Carolina
42. Louisiana
43. Arkansas
44. Mississippi
45. Massachusetts

Sketchy knowledge on the US and state highway systems, good interstate knowledge
46. Virginia
47. New York
48. Pennsyvlania
49. Georgia
50. South Carolina
51. Alabama

These states are too small and I have no idea what's going on and all knowledge is extrapolated from what I know about neighboring states
52. Rhode Island
53. Maryland
54. Delaware
55. Connecticut
56. New Jersey

I'm not really *studying* any state at o nce per se. I have my focus states (the top 8) and then am always trying to boost my knowledge of any of the other 48, but not in any particular sequence

(edited to include New York)

njroadhorse

Very Strong:
1. New Jersey
2. Pennsylvania
3. New York
4. Florida
5. Virginia

Decent:
1. Maryland
2. United Kingdom
3. Germany
4. Connecticut
5. North Carolina
6. California
7. Texas
8. Ohio
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Michael

I live in Central New York, so I'm good in that area.  I have a broader knowledge elsewhere in the state.  I also know some about Pennsylvania because I go down US 15 and I-81 (not as often as US 15) on a semi-regular basis.

akotchi

Since I work in New Jersey, lived in Maryland, and currently live in Pennsylvania, I consider those three states to be my strongest (eastern Pa., anyway).  I generally make it a point to become familiar with the areas I have gone to in my travels, but I cannot claim anything more than working knowledge or passing interest in anywhere else.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

deathtopumpkins

I'm good with VA and that's about it since it's where I live... though I'm not bad at the surrounding states and a few other random ones.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Scott5114

I know Oklahoma's road system quite well. I used to have people at work call out random numbers and I'd tell them where they are in the system. No mean feat considering how random OK's system is.

I know southwestern Missouri pretty well due to living in Springfield for a year. Don't know the rest of it too well, though. Also, I wish I knew Kansas better, since that's my grandma's state.

I know the UP better than I should–somehow I always end up reviewing UP articles on Wikipedia!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Ian

Strengths:
-All of New England
-New York
-New Jersey
-Pennsylvania
-Delaware
-Maryland

The rest I have trouble with.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Tarkus

Places I'm comfortable with:
-Oregon
-Washington
-California (parts of LA and extreme Northern California)

Places I'm somewhat familiar with:
-Idaho
-Maryland
-Montana
-Nevada
-Tennessee

Everywhere else, I have very little knowledge, but I could probably pick up quite easily with a little studying of maps.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Michael

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 06, 2009, 03:45:20 AM
I know Oklahoma's road system quite well. I used to have people at work call out random numbers and I'd tell them where they are in the system. No mean feat considering how random OK's system is.

I've thought of (or had my mother tell me) two random numbers, and I figure out where the routes meet.  I guess I'm not alone!

Zezug

Scott- well the UP only has 2 major east-west highways and a couple north south ones, it's not that hard to remember  :-D really easy to not get lost in too

ComputerGuy

Super-Strength (my favs):

1. Washington
2. British Columbia
3. Oregon
4. Idaho
5. Hawaii
6. California
7. D.C.

Strenghts:

8. Montana
9. Minnesota
10. Michigan
11. New York
12. Arkansas
13. Alaska
14. Guam
15. U.S. Virgin Islands
16. Alberta
17. Northwest Territories
18. Nuvaut
19. Oklahoma
20. Texas
21. Utah
22. Maryland
23. Virigina

Working on:

24. Sascatchewan
25. Yukon
26. Nevada
27. Arizona
28. New Mexico
29. Colorado

No clue:

30. Neberaska
31. South Dakota
32. North Dakota
33. Wisconsin
34. Maine
35. Mass.
36. New Hampshire
37. Vermont
38. Conn.
39. Rhode Island
40. New Jersey
41. Pennsylvania
42. Ohio
43. Indiana
44. Ontario
45. Quebec
46. Montobia
47. New Brunswick
48. Newfoundland
49. Nova Scotia
50. Missouri
51. Louisiana
52. Florida
53. Georgia
54. Alabama
55. Tennesse
56. North Carolina
57. South Carolina
58. Kentucky
59. Illinois
60. Iowa
61. Kansas
62. Maryland
63. Deleware
64. West Virigina
65. Wyoming

Alps

Top strength is of course NJ.  It's the only one I have detailed knowledge about the history.
Strengths: QC, VT, MA, RI, CT, NY, PA, DE, MD, CT, HI
Average: FL, NC, VA, OH, CA, ON, NS
Not a clue: ID, MT, ND, SD, NE, NM, AR, MO, IA, MB, SK, AB

SSOWorld

Tops: WI
Strengths: MN, IA, IL (unfortunately  ;-) :-P )
Average: MI, IN, MO, OK, ON,
No idea: everyone else
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Darkchylde

My strengths would have to be Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas and Colorado. I can manage to get around Alabama and Florida decently enough, but without knowing every route in those states. Everything else, I'm a bit sketchy on.

US71

My strengths would be

1 Arkansas (!)
2 Missouri  (!)
3 Illinois (!)
4 Eastern Texas
5 Mississippi (mostly US 49/US 80/US 11 corridors)
6 Oklahoma (east of OKC, especially east of Tulsa)
7 Louisiana (so-so, mostly 71/49 corridor)
8 Tennessee (west of Jackson)

I know a little bit of Colorado & Nebraska, but not a lot
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Greybear

My strengths would be:

1) Arkansas
2) Texas
3) Oklahoma
4) Parts of Missouri, Kansas, Iowa

Everywhere else, I'm still learning or slightly familiar with.

Chris

My interests comes in waves. There are some areas that are always interesting to me, mostly the United States, but sometimes I really dig into the Romanian road system, then the Spanish, then Japanese, then Russian, then Swiss, Danish, Polish etc.

TheHighwayMan3561

1. Minnesota

2. Wisconsin

3. Iowa

4-50. Everywhere else to varying degrees
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

barcncpt44

I have great knowledge of the roads in east alabama and west georgia since i am a fed ex driver and need to know the roads

I have good knowledge of roads in wyoming, montana, (akron, cleveland, hudson) ne ohio, western north and south dakota and nebraska, colorado, michigan, georgia, tennessee, and kentucky.  The rest of the country is just looking on google maps and earth and rand mcnally maps

A bland smile is like a green light at an intersection, it feels good when you get one, but you forget it the moment you're past it. -Doug Coupland

codyg1985

I have knowledge about Alabama, especially north of I-20/59, southern Tennessee, Mississippi, and portions of Arkansas. Since I have lived in Alabama my whole life, though, Alabama is what I know best.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

adventurernumber1

*everything is in order from strongest to weakest*

Top Strengths:
1. Georgia (I reside here and know the most about north Georgia and the Atlanta Metro Area)
2. Tennessee
3. Florida

Moderate Strengths:
1. Alabama
2. North Carolina
3. South Carolina
4. Virginia
5. West Virginia

Slightly Above Average:
1. Kentucky
2. Mississippi
3. Ohio
4. Pennsylvania
5. Maryland
6. Colorado

-most other US states at about average-

I know about H-1, H-2, H-3, & H-201 in Hawaii, but that's about it for it, and I know practically nothing about Alaska and any other country. But I do know about the Auto Bahn in Germany and I'm aware China has a pretty big freeway system or something like that.

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

agentsteel53

you just resurrected a five year old thread.

what the poop?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.