Which states and provinces don't offer official paper maps anymore?

Started by Mdcastle, August 01, 2012, 06:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

english si

Quote from: kkt on October 21, 2012, 01:55:20 PMThere's an unfortunate tendency on the part of both the British and the Prussians to take sole credit for the victory at Waterloo.  Neither Wellington with his British, Dutch, German, and Belgian army nor von Blucher with the Prussian army could have won the battle alone.
We is also available in inclusive form...

My point was simply that the maps were removed from public sale for security reasons after the enemy was soundly defeated.

And like the Americans don't often take sole credit for WW2, despite coming to the party late... ;)

oscar

Quote from: rschen7754 on October 20, 2012, 02:03:36 AM
Nunavut offers free maps through their tourism site!

And you can pick them up at local visitor centres as well, or at least the one in Iqaluit (the other communities I visited, the visitor centres were closed when I tried to visit).  However, while the map shows roads, none of the roads are in Nunavut.  The territory has no roads long enough to show up on a 16" x 21" map (with no city or other insets) covering all three of Nunavut's time zones, and all its islands from the southern end of Hudson Bay to near the North Pole.

I also picked up some copies of California's 2014 "official state map" from the welcome center in Buena Park, during a short visit to that area a few weeks ago.  Not particularly good or useful as a road map, but better than nothing. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

formulanone

As of 2014, you can still get free maps from the Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, and Louisiana welcome centers. I haven't checked the Florida centers in many years. I haven't checked other sites, but Alabama also has a huge PDF version of their state map online.

Pennsylvania still offered free maps at the welcome center, and Ohio "just ran out" on my last visit. I think those are the only border crossings I've made this year. Totally forgot to check New Jersey...I had a flight in mind.

The Mississippi one seems to tear very easily, the Alabama one seems the sturdiest, but the Georgia one seems to be the most legible, whereas the Louisiana one includes lots of (unnecessary) extra coloring and shading. The Pennsylvania one is lost somewhere in my house.

freebrickproductions

Florida still provides maps. We picked one up in Alabama on our way down to Port St. Joe, FL this year.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

formulanone

No sooner than you posted, that I stopped by a rest stop along I-95 in Martin County. Sure enough, free road maps...they were located by the ladies room.

oscar

Quote from: formulanone on August 28, 2014, 04:41:54 PM
No sooner than you posted, that I stopped by a rest stop along I-95 in Martin County. Sure enough, free road maps...they were located by the ladies room.

Like Mississippi's, the one I picked up earlier this year in Florida tore easily.  I put the remains in my recycle bin when I was done with it.

freebrickproductions

To be exact, we picked it up at the Alabama/Florida state line. It was so full of small side roads that it was rather hard to read so we ended up using the Alabama map to navigate down to Port St. Joe because it didn't have all of the small county roads on it.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Roadrunner75

Pennsylvania has a really good state map....and available at the rest area/welcome centers too.  I believe I also have one or two with a PA state senator's sticker on them that were handed out at some event.  I have some relatively recent Maryland maps from rest areas, an older VA that was pretty good and of course some NJs (not as good as they used to be).  The Pennsylvania Turnpike also used to give out maps - I'm pretty sure I have one somewhere that was basically the PA state map with the turnpike highlighted and related information.

oscar

Quote from: oscar on August 02, 2012, 12:07:59 PM
The Northwest Territories charges $3.50 for their map.  Considering the limited NT highway network, not really worth it.

An appalling follow-up -- I stopped two days ago at the NT visitor infocentre on the Alberta border at the NT 1/AB 35 crossing (the only crossing into NT served by an infocentre), and paid for what I hoped would be an updated map from what I bought there from a previous visit. Turned out to be a ten-year-old map from 2005. I walked back in, got my money back. The lady behind the counter said that's all she had in stock. Ugh!

Not that the rather simple NT highway network changes all that much from year to year, so an old map is OK for most tourists. But there's the new Deh Cho Bridge replacing a ferry crossing of the Mackenzie River, a reroute of part of NT 4 near Yellowknife, and the NT 8 extension under construction to the Arctic coast.

Funny thing is, I got a less out-of-date 2009 NT map for free from a locally-operated visitor infocentre in Nipawin SK earlier on my trip. I also got free copies of somewhat out-of-date maps for most of the provinces (including Quebec), and all of the territories (including Nunavut, whose map almost never goes out of date since it has no highways). But they were out of stock for Saskatchewan, which is what I most needed (I got that a few days later from another infocentre). 

PHLBOS

Quote from: formulanone on August 28, 2014, 08:42:44 AMTotally forgot to check New Jersey...I had a flight in mind.
As of 2015, one can still get NJ's official road map at GSP's Montvale plaza.

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on August 28, 2014, 11:29:37 PMThe Pennsylvania Turnpike also used to give out maps - I'm pretty sure I have one somewhere that was basically the PA state map with the turnpike highlighted and related information.
I know the type you're referring to.  I don't think the PTC has had a version of such (paper or otherwise) since the Ridge Administration.

CT still issues an official paper road map.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

noelbotevera

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 13, 2015, 11:16:40 AM

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on August 28, 2014, 11:29:37 PMThe Pennsylvania Turnpike also used to give out maps - I'm pretty sure I have one somewhere that was basically the PA state map with the turnpike highlighted and related information.
I know the type you're referring to.  I don't think the PTC has had a version of such (paper or otherwise) since the Ridge Administration.

Nope, the best paper maps I could find was a vacation map for Delaware, and it is really broad. That was in the Bowmansville service plaza, by the way.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

PHLBOS

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 13, 2015, 11:45:08 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on July 13, 2015, 11:16:40 AM

Nope, the best paper maps I could find was a vacation map for Delaware, and it is really broad. That was in the Bowmansville service plaza, by the way.
I know that one can still get the standard PA road maps at the state Welcome Centers (but not the Turnpike service plazas).  Every now and then, I stop at the Linwood (Delaware County) Welcome Center just off I-95 northbound and pick up a few maps.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.