News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Parallel freeways, river style

Started by Alps, March 05, 2012, 09:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

A thread on Canroads inspired this. What freeways run parallel on both sides of a river for more than a couple of miles? (I wouldn't count their example of A-50 and ON 417, because the 417 gets a bit too far from the river.)

Macro scale:
* I-95 in PA, I-295 in NJ, Delaware River
* A-30 / A-40 in QC northeast of Montreal, St. Lawrence River
* A-20 / A-40 in QC near Quebec City, St. Lawrence River

Micro scale:
* Loop 375 in El Paso is across the Rio Grande from the new Mexican border freeway (if it's a true freeway - might just be a boulevard?)
* I-278/I-87 and FDR Drive/Harlem River Drive, Harlem/East River (starting at Ward Island really)

Not quite:
* Storrow Drive / Memorial Drive, Boston - Memorial Drive is a parkway, but nothing close to a freeway.
* Fant and Teague Parkways, Shreveport - not freeways, but I'd say expressways
* CA 54 EB and WB, San Diego - too much of a special case

Kacie Jane

For either the macro scale or not quite category: I-84 and WA 14.

It would be a perfect example, but unfortunately I-84 doesn't get right on the Columbia until just after the freeway portion of SR 14 ends.

UptownRoadGeek

NE2

Your San Diego example of a river in the median has a much longer sibling across the border in Tijuana. (And the Sao Paulo example above.) This seems common in not only developing countries but also Europe (e.g. Madrid, with much of it recently covered). I suppose the U.S. went with the option of demolishing homes rather than parks.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

J N Winkler

The watercourses-in-the-median approach is especially common in Spain (at least one example in Valencia, and another example currently under construction in Murcia unless that has been suspended), but not unknown in the US--I-135 in Wichita (locally called the Canal Route) is one example.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

national highway 1

Not necessarily a river, but US 101 and I-880 on either side of San Francisco Bay.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Brandon

Stevenson Expressway (I-55), Chicago.  Parallels the Des Plaines River, Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal, and the South Branch of the Chicago River from west of First Avenue (IL-171) to the Dan Ryan Expressway (I-90/94).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Mapmikey

--US 11-15 and US 22-322 briefly
--George Washington Pkwy and Clara Barton Pkwy along Potomac River

Mapmikey

cooperrhall

OH-7 and WV-2 run parallel as a freeway on either side of the Ohio River for a bit outside of Wheeling. Also, this doesn't quite make the cut, but US-23 and US-52 do the same thing between Portsmouth, OH and Huntington, WV. The drawback of this is that US-52 has some freeway patches and US-23 is only a divided highway.
- Coop

kphoger

Av. Constitución / Av. Morones Prieto
Monterrey, N.L.

These two freeways flank the Santa Catarina river for 13 miles.
http://g.co/maps/vutzf
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

achilles765

Not a river, but here in Houston between downtown and the 610 Loop, Memorial Drive and Allen Parkway run parallel on either side of Buffalo Bayou.  And back in New Orleans, Veteran's Blvd features a canal in the median.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

roadman65

NJ 21 between Newark and its northern terminus parallels the Passaic River.
The Henry Hudson Parkway in NYC is on the eastern shore of the Hudson River.
I-80 for 4 miles parallels the Delaware River in Knowlton Township, NJ.
I-190 in Buffalo, NY along the Niagara River.  Then downstream is the Robert Moses Parkway along the same waterway.
The Western Spur of the NJ Turnpike follows closely the Hackensack River.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on March 24, 2012, 09:44:52 PM
I-190 in Buffalo, NY along the Niagara River.  Then downstream is the Robert Moses Parkway along the same waterway.
None of those fit this thread. As I stated, I want parallel freeways on both sides of the river.

roadman65

Quote from: Steve on March 25, 2012, 09:39:41 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 24, 2012, 09:44:52 PM
None of those fit this thread. As I stated, I want parallel freeways on both sides of the river.

The Henry Hudson does for part anyway.  Remember the Palisades Parkway on the NJ side, especially north of the GWB.  It maybe high on a cliff, but it still is close to the river and at the Rockefeller Overlook you see the Henry Hudson Bridge directly across into NY.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Occidental Tourist

I-5 and WA 599/99 along the Duwamish in Seattle.

sp_redelectric

Does I-5/I-405 in Portland count...I-405 is "more than a couple miles", at 4.25 miles, with the Willamette River in the middle (and each freeway crossing the Willamette once - the I-405 at the northern end of the loop on the Fremont Bridge; I-5 at the southern end over the Marquam).

But otherwise I'd have to go with Kacie Jane's example of I-84 and SR 14.

OCGuy81

What about I-279 in Pittsburgh?  If you cross the Allegheny, isn't the 10th Street Bypass (Ft Duquense Blvd?) a limited access road?

froggie

Parts of I-91 and US 5 on either side of the Connecticut River in Springfield, MA could arguably be included.

Also arguable would be I-90 and US 53 north of La Crosse, WI.  I-90 briefly follows the MN side while US 53 follows the WI side.

If MnDOT ever gets enough money, a future one would be I-94 and US 10 between the Twin Cities and St. Cloud, MN.

mgk920

A similar one, but using a state line rather than a river, would be US 71 (I-49) in Missouri and US 69 in Kansas.

Mike

kphoger

Quote from: mgk920 on May 18, 2012, 11:55:56 AM
A similar one, but using a state line rather than a river, would be US 71 (I-49) in Missouri and US 69 in Kansas.

Mike

????????

They never get within five miles of each other, do they?  (until 69 crosses into Missouri, that is)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mcdonaat

Similar one is the Clyde Fant Parkway opposite the Teague Parkway in Shreveport/Bossier

KEVIN_224

Quote from: froggie on May 18, 2012, 11:43:55 AM
Parts of I-91 and US 5 on either side of the Connecticut River in Springfield, MA could arguably be included.

I see that US Route 5 is right by the Connecticut River, a short distance north of the Agawam/West Springfield town line. It stays that way for a distance after you've passed under the rotary on the West Springfield side of the Memorial Bridge. The US Route 5 intersection with I-91 in West Springfield is where this all but ends. At least I'm pretty certain on that one.  :hmmm:

KEK Inc.

Is there a river between the Legacy Pkwy and I-15? 

Sort of a stretch, but I-780 and CA-4 at the Carquinez Strait. 
Take the road less traveled.

golden eagle

MS-1 follows closely with the Mississippi River in the Delta.

I-55 through Jackson and southern Hinds County does come within a mile or two of the Pearl River starting at around MS-25. 55 also parallels the Big Black River in Yazoo and Holmes County until the highway curves more northward towards Grenada.

mgk920

Although one of them is not a freeway, howabout I-90 v. NY 5S east of Utica, NY?

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.