News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Timers on Traffic Signals

Started by KEK Inc., May 04, 2012, 04:24:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 08, 2012, 07:39:15 PM
Quote from: Steve on May 08, 2012, 07:32:48 PMWhile on the topic of the MUTCD, I'll just point out that drivers are explicitly not supposed to rely on pedestrian timers. I know they do anyway, but my point is that design should not account for that.

how does the general driving populace know that?  countdown timers certainly weren't covered when I took driver ed, so I'd be tempted to go with my intuition...
That's why I'm limiting my comment to the design field. Don't design countdown timers for drivers to peep at.

roadfro

Quote from: Steve on May 08, 2012, 07:32:48 PM
I've seen older counters reach 0 at the red light, but that's been written out of the MUTCD and agencies are now converting to the new standard.

That's still allowable in the 2009 MUTCD--see Figure 4E-2. There are a number of ways the countdown can work out as long as the pedestrian clearance time finishes before opposing traffic is released.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Alps

Quote from: roadfro on May 09, 2012, 05:50:44 AM
I've seen older counters reach 0 at the red light, but that's been written out of the MUTCD and agencies are now converting to the new standard.

That's still allowable in the 2009 MUTCD--see Figure 4E-2. There are a number of ways the countdown can work out as long as the pedestrian clearance time finishes before opposing traffic is released.
And yet agencies are still converting to 0 on the yellow.

roadman65

The timers should be used, I think, at intersections that have cameras.  I often worry about passing through these intersections, cause one day the light will turn at a time when I am too close to stop for the signal while being too far away from the stop bar to actually make it across it and the sensor that activates the mechanism.   

If I see it is getting near 0, providing the timer is set to turn at that point, I would slow down so that I can be in a safe mode to stop in time for the stop line where I do not need to run nor screech to a stop.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

It appears that Delaware is using all 5 options at various intersections!  Maybe they're testing out different options.  Personally, IMO, I dislike the option where the countdown timer goes to 0 just as the light hits red.  The yellow light should be used to clear the intersection of traffic, and not to be encouraged to allow pedestrians to complete their stroll across the roadway.

I've also noticed Delaware now has a whole pedestrian detour set up when a section (and in many cases, a very small section) of sidewalk is under construction.  They use small orange Detour signs with a small pedestrian on it (ie: http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part6/fig6f_05_longdesc.htm , M4-9b ).  The detour route starts at the previous intersection and continues to the next intersection.  In many cases, they use a barrier to try to prevent people from continuing on the sidewalk.  And when they are on the detour route, additional detour signs are posted to show pedestrians that they should continue on the sidewalk until the next intersection.

Signage overkill?  Oh...yeah...

roadman65

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 03, 2012, 08:30:46 AM

It appears that Delaware is using all 5 options at various intersections!  Maybe they're testing out different options.  Personally, IMO, I dislike the option where the countdown timer goes to 0 just as the light hits red.  The yellow light should be used to clear the intersection of traffic, and not to be encouraged to allow pedestrians to complete their stroll across the roadway.

I've also noticed Delaware now has a whole pedestrian detour set up when a section (and in many cases, a very small section) of sidewalk is under construction.  They use small orange Detour signs with a small pedestrian on it (ie: http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part6/fig6f_05_longdesc.htm , M4-9b ).  The detour route starts at the previous intersection and continues to the next intersection.  In many cases, they use a barrier to try to prevent people from continuing on the sidewalk.  And when they are on the detour route, additional detour signs are posted to show pedestrians that they should continue on the sidewalk until the next intersection.

Signage overkill?  Oh...yeah...

Florida has the same thing when sidewalks are partially closed.  Many people ignore them, of course, and walk on the street in traffic in the same manner people now do not use the crosswalks either.  Many will cross even 10 feet away from the crosswalk and even rather walk around stopped cars at a signal then walk straight across.

I do not think there is anything to worry as police have forgotten that jay walking is an citeable offense so they will not do anything here either.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on August 05, 2012, 07:16:01 AM
I do not think there is anything to worry as police have forgotten that jay walking is an citeable offense so they will not do anything here either.
Please look up exactly what "jaywalking" is.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

KEK Inc.

Can we stay on topic guys?  As I said over and over again, I'm not referring to pedestrian crossings.    :pan:   If you want to talk about that, please feel free to make a separate thread...   :spin:
Take the road less traveled.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.